How to avoid the dementia tax.........

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Bit misleading title seeing that the socalled dementia tax never got off the ground.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
It was FYI no idea what the program is about.

SUMMARY
Ahead of the Budget, Chancellor Philip Hammond is coming under increasing pressure to raise more money to fund long-term social care. As local authorities struggle to meet these huge costs, reporter Tazeen Ahmad reports on why some people with dementia have to sell their family homes to pay for care while others gain access to NHS funds. The programme also goes undercover to reveal the advice financial experts give to potential sufferers, and asks whether the system providing care for thousands is really fit for purpose

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
the above programme is on at 8pm (Dispatches).

I will watch it but it's too late for us as we've already had to sell Mums house.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's impossible to know what they're going to suggest so I'll watch it with interest.
Since the 2014 Care Act came in the rules seem to have changed, the LA's are not longer told (as in CRAG) that "The value of the interest, even to a willing buyer, could in such circumstances effectively be nil" so putting part of the home into a child or anyone else's name to give it a zero value isn't in the 2014 Care Act so that door seems to be shut and the sections in the new Care Act seem to advise to treat someone as if they have the asset if a deprivation is suspected.
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with and how fast the door gets shut before everyone starts doing whatever they suggest as a way to avoid dementia tax.
K

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
.......that "The value of the interest, even to a willing buyer, could in such circumstances effectively be nil" so putting part of the home into a child or anyone else's name to give it a zero value isn't in the 2014 Care Act so that door seems to be shut
It is partly there in that it depends on how the property is being used by that "child" or "anyone else". If it is their HOME then the value will probably nil. If it is not their HOME then it will more than likely have a value.

:)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
BUMP
Just about to start

2017-11-20_181630.png

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
No solution I can only see more stress trying for NHS continuing care funding which is very ad hoc depending where you live. Do I need that stress? Not really but may look into it

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I thought the bit about Continuing Health care funding being kept so quiet was very true. It seems to be the best kept secret. How someone described getting the forms filled in and then they came back to him totally different is just what happened to me. Several had been marked down yet a nurse filled it in with me and we decided on the answers .... then they were all changed!

I am still going to pursue CHC because I really feel my Mum deserves it and is eligible.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
My mum has just been awarded CHC and I found the process very fair and thankfully not complicated. I didn't expect it to be easy having read many posts on here about it but was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was for us. My mum will now be moved to an NHS dementia unit where we hope her care will be more appropriate to what she is getting now in a Nursing Home (that doesn't seem to be able to cope with advanced dementia and all it brings with it).

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My mum has just been awarded CHC and I found the process very fair and thankfully not complicated. I didn't expect it to be easy having read many posts on here about it but was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was for us. My mum will now be moved to an NHS dementia unit where we hope her care will be more appropriate to what she is getting now in a Nursing Home (that doesn't seem to be able to cope with advanced dementia and all it brings with it).

That's excellent news.
I hope you don't mind, I have put a link to this post on the CHC support thread
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/chc-continuing-healthcare-support-thread.86059/

This thread is full of bad news, a success story may convince others that applying for CHC is not pointless.

I also hope you don't mind me asking which domains scored priority or severe?

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016

Very pleased for you both, well done!