So, here we are.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you are staying safe Lady A and your area isn't being affected too much. It's very dark here and there's an eerie atmosphere but no storm. The news looks dreadful.

I also hope your daughter and lovely grandson are safe.

Take care.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Been updating in the weekly chat thread. It's been horrific, but the official preparation, I think, mitigated damage as much as possible. All schools and colleges are closed today and tomorrow. Most shops and businesses that could, closed today, even places like Lidl, Aldi and Tesco! People were warned to only be out if absolutely necessary. There are three confirmed deaths so far. Approximately 360,000 homes without power (thankfully, not me, so far!) and it could take up to ten days to get everyone restored. Innumerable trees ripped up, roofs torn from buildings, etc. I didn't go to work this morning, and it's just as well, because by lunchtime all routes between town and where I live were blocked by fallen trees or electricity poles! I felt my little Kia is too lightweight to be out in such wind, particularly as, because of my frozen shoulder, I'm steering with one arm!

The only damage I've had so far (it's still blowing out there!) is my small greenhouse is in bits, and a huge branch came off a tree in the back, damaging the roof of the chicken run and bringing part of a fence down. I really need to do something about getting those trees reduced. Again!

Hope the storm passes you by! It surely must have spent some of its ferocity here, before hitting the UK!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hmm. I've been reading back on this thread to around APril of last year, when my last remaining cat died. I was heartbroken at the time, and determined not to get another. I tried a puppy, but had to return it. I'm not a dog person, really. I've stuck to my resolve since, not to have pets. But, suddenly, I'm looking into getting another rescue cat or two..... Watch this space! I may yet persuade myself out of it, but I may not!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Went to have a chat with the vet practice about rescue kitties. Was standing there, having just decided to take a grey tabby kitten they had there for rehoming, when a woman arrived with a little tortie which she said had been dumped at her mother's. Sadly, it needs to have an eye removed, as it's badly infected. But she's gorgeous - so next week, both kittens are coming home with me! Pics will follow in due course. :)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Went to have a chat with the vet practice about rescue kitties. Was standing there, having just decided to take a grey tabby kitten they had there for rehoming, when a woman arrived with a little tortie which she said had been dumped at her mother's. Sadly, it needs to have an eye removed, as it's badly infected. But she's gorgeous - so next week, both kittens are coming home with me! Pics will follow in due course. :)

Are they male or female?

Aisling

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sigh. It's over two years now since William died. Two years and almost three months. I wonder do you ever get over getting those moments when something will trigger off a wave of loss and grief? They don't happen nearly so often, of course, these days. But the silliest things will trigger them. And it's happened twice in the last couple of weeks. First time, walked into a local Tesco which has the mens' clothing near the entrance, and they had these lovely cardi's in. William would never wear a pullover type, only button up cardigans, in plain colours. And sometimes, they were hard to get. But as soon as I saw these in Tesco, my first thought was a delighted "Oh! Lovely, those are perfect....." before I realised that of course, I didn't need to buy one for him. And then in Lidl this week, they have their Christmas sweets in. And one thing I always had to buy for him was one of those big jars of boiled fruit sweets! They were his absolute favourites! Only in the last couple of years of his life, did I not get them for him, as they were such a choking hazard. But the sight of the brightly coloured sweets in the glass jar was enough to have me in tears.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had a similar experience going to the Ladies in M&S Lady A . It entailed having to walk through the men's department and there were some really lovely shirts.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I had a similar experience going to the Ladies in M&S Lady A . It entailed having to walk through the men's department and there were some really lovely shirts.
How entwined we become with our "other halves". And we weren't married nearly as long as some. 21 years, when William died.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Yes, entwined.... that is a good description LadyA.

When I receive one of the numerous small brochures which are sent following an order from a clothing company. I find my eye caught by something in the men's section and thinking I must buy that for Henry, one of his favourite colours and styles. Then it hits me and the tears come.

I try to avoid looking at the men's wear, or just bin the brochure and don't look at anything. (I'm on a hunt for elasticated midi-length skirts as my severe leg swelling etc., prevents me now wearing trousers) But there are so many things which suddenly and unexpectedly bring about a wave of loss and grief. I don't know if this ever lessens.....

Loo xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's the men's department of M&S that does it for me too. I see so many things that I know Bill would have really suited. It's hard when the realisation hits you in the middle of a busy shop.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
It's the men's department of M&S that does it for me too. I see so many things that I know Bill would have really suited. It's hard when the realisation hits you in the middle of a busy shop.

I was thinking that Izzy. Being housebound at least I have privacy. But it still can overcome me when in the company of someone who is here with me.

Loo xx

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Me too it’s M&S men’s that gets me as well, even looking at the Christmas biscuit tins has started me off, remembering how we always went together to buy them, isn’t it silly what suddenly makes you tearful.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
This will be my third Christmas since William died, and my first Christmas as a grandmother. Philip was born on New Years Eve.

I got talking to a woman in a Charity shop last year - she volunteers there. She's been widowed for over 40 years, although I'd say she's only in her early/mid 60s. She said she always did the whole Christmas thing for her children's sake, but she hates it, it's never felt the same since her husband died. At the time I remember being really shocked, I thought that surely after a few years, you adjust to it - same as we had to adjust to being married and having someone there all the time!

But I'm starting to wonder. As time passes, although I'm ok in general - certainly not wallowing in misery or anything - I find I miss William more, and I miss all I missed out on because of his illness which encroached on most of our marriage. As they say, "we was robbed!" And I suppose the sight of Christmas decorations and all the "togetherness" advertised at this time of year (however unrealistic it might be!) just highlights the aloneness.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And still there are happinesses! :)
IMG_20171104_113255583_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171103_183831639.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix