FAQs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Saun_A ...I have complained (along with some others) about the blue up/ down arrow being a distraction...I'm using an iPad. But I picked up a new iPhone yesterday...and the arrow is brilliant on that. And, actually...I must be mentally 'screening it out' on the iPad now...I just this minute had to check and see if it was still there.
I've got used to the chat line at the bottom now, too.

I think you have encapsulated the situation in this post.
The software is doing a good job of deciding the best layout for individual devices.
People don't like any changes but in time get used to them if overall result is better.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hm, so far I've been given some technical instructions I don't understand and then asked why I can't simply ignore the chat screen?

I can't ignore it because on my device it's always there, it's in my face and distracting and I shouldn't have to do some technical stuff every time I come here. Let's not forget that people with dementia also come here, so the functionality should be simple, not technically challenging.

So maybe the admins could look into what could be done to make it easier to switch the chat screen off instead of indirectly giving me the feeling that I am the problem for simply not liking change.

And no offence nitram, but I really don't need another post from you defending the chat screen. My opinion is valid too.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hm, so far I've been given some technical instructions I don't understand and then asked why I can't simply ignore the chat screen?

I can't ignore it because on my device it's always there, it's in my face and distracting and I shouldn't have to do some technical stuff every time I come here. Let's not forget that people with dementia also come here, so the functionality should be simple, not technically challenging.

So maybe the admins could look into what could be done to make it easier to switch the chat screen off instead of indirectly giving me the feeling that I am the problem for simply not liking change.

And no offence nitram, but I really don't need another post from you defending the chat screen. My opinion is valid too.
+1 on all of that.:)

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
The software is doing a good job of deciding the best layout for individual devices..
Not for me it is not.
People don't like any changes but in time get used to them if overall result is better.
I for one embrace change when it is good and for the better. This is quite a way from either and time on its own isn't going to make any difference.:(

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Hi everyone,

Just to say that we're listening to all your feedback here and we're working with our developers to resolve all the technical issues we can in the next few weeks.

The chat room, calendar and bookmark features are all here on a three month trial as we look at the feedback we get on them and how you all use them. We want to see if there are any technical issues that need fixing with them, so thank you for highlighting any issues you've had with them on your particular devices.

As soon as we have any news for you on fixes that we've finished testing and we're able to make here on the live site we'll post an update for you.

Thanks

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m using an iPad, in case that makes a difference.

If I have the message window near the top & attempt to click on the smiley face, it opens the drop down menu from the top bar, mostly “Members”, occasionally “Forums”. I then have to scroll to the very top, or very bottom, sometimes both ends of the page to clear the drop downs

If I move the window so it’s at least an inch from the top, it’s fine. As I can’t even see the headers at times, it’s not a natural move to pull the message window down.

This was happening before upgrading to IOS 11.03 & is still happening after the upgrade.

It’s a silly thing, but it’s very frustrating

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I’m using an iPad, in case that makes a difference.

If I have the message window near the top & attempt to click on the smiley face, it opens the drop down menu from the top bar, mostly “Members”, occasionally “Forums”. I then have to scroll to the very top, or very bottom, sometimes both ends of the page to clear the drop downs

If I move the window so it’s at least an inch from the top, it’s fine. As I can’t even see the headers at times, it’s not a natural move to pull the message window down.

This was happening before upgrading to IOS 11.03 & is still happening after the upgrade.

It’s a silly thing, but it’s very frustrating

We were talking about this on the test thread

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/the-test-thread.104336/page-13#post-1456417

but it's good that you've brought it up here as that helps TP admin keep a track of issues. :)

It seems to be an iPad (or smaller tablet?) issue and I wonder if it's got something to do with the iPad pop up keyboard taking up half the screen area, so the software hides that top blue menu bar. When you click on the smiley icon, you are in fact 'unhiding' the blue menu bar, because it overlays the formatting bar beneath. I may, of course, be talking complete rubbish, but that would explain it. :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Chemmy, I posted here as I had a moan on my thread & @nitram pointed me in this direction, in case it’s simething others are struggling with:(

I’ll just have to try to remember to pull the message window down a bit further. :oops:

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
@HarveyT Sorry you're finding things complicated, if there's something specific that you've having problem with please just ask here or pm a member of the team and we'll be happy to help.

@Sam Luvit Can you post a screenshot of what the screen looks like when you run into the problem and one when it's ok? I can't reproduce what you're seeing on our iPad yet. Do the the top bar drop down menus disappear if you click anywhere else on the screen?

*Edit* And thanks @Chemmy I'll take another look at that post.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Mark_W @Chemmy @Sam Luvit

I just had a quick look and found two screen resolutions for iPad ,most likely out of date, they were 2732X2048 and 2048X1536
Are all three of you using devices with the same resolution?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
@Mark_W @Chemmy @Sam Luvit

I just had a quick look and found two screen resolutions for iPad ,most likely out of date, they were 2732X2048 and 2048X1536
Are all three of you using devices with the same resolution?

Hi @nitram
Sorry I’m not sure where to look for that info, it’s nowhere obvious & I’m newish to Apple, it’s a 5th Gen (released March this year), my brother is Apple IT, so he set it up :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2122.JPG Attached photo of where the message window is & the second shows the drop down when I try smiley
The drop down will not go away until I scroll to the top of the page, or the bottom & sometimes I have to go up & down several times
Third one almost at top of the page still showing
It's just irritating, more than anything

Attachments

• IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 530

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hi @nitram
Sorry I’m not sure where to look for that info, it’s nowhere obvious & I’m newish to Apple, it’s a 5th Gen (released March this year), my brother is Apple IT, so he set it up

Not sure it will be relevant, just worth looking at.
Have a look at the spec of your iPad on the Apple site.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Can you attach photo files to conversation messages? So far I've seen a way to do it from a web URL, but not from my hard drive.