A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear!!

It does sound as if Dhiren had a medical as he`s given me quite graphic details of events.

So he has been given a clean bill of health, is fighting fit, there`s nothing wrong with him and he doesn`t have to go there ever again.

I hope he has a medical every week, just 5 minutes before he comes home. ;)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
"Quite graphic details ..."

Sylvia, the mind boggles - what HAS he been getting up to!

Joking aside, at Mum's Daycare Group the carers weigh the 'clients' each week, and keep a weather eye out for any significant changes like unsteadiness walking, reluctance to eat. Would this kind of monitoring be what Dhiren is referring to as a Medical, I wonder, especially as the 1st one would take a little time.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
"Quite graphic details ..."

Sylvia, the mind boggles - what HAS he been getting up to!

Joking aside, at Mum's Daycare Group the carers weigh the 'clients' each week, ask tem how they feel and keep a weather eye out for any significant changes like unsteadiness walking, reluctance to eat.
Would this kind of monitoring be what Dhiren is referring to as a Medical, I wonder, especially as the 1st one would take a little time.

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Sylvia,
I'm glad to hear it went well today. I wouldn't worry about Dhiren saying he never need go there again. We're all in Scarlett O'Hara's position "Tomorrow is another day". I suspect he will have forgotten the details by next Monday.

Glad you enjoyed your time to yourself. It's just what you need to recharge your mental batteries.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Graphic details.........Lynne, if he weren`t so old I`d think he was being given an army medical, as he was asked to `cough`.:D:confused:

Joanne, I know it will have been forgotten next week I can only hope for a repetition of the same..

He is very tired tonight but no sundowning:D

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Sylvia
Glad Dhiren has not had too bad a day.
My husband came home from daycare and they had been out to lunch at a local garden centre and he too is very tired and just gone to bed with no prblems.

While he was at daycare I went to view the care home he will go to for respite and was very impressed.
They did not know I was coming but showed me around the home and the bedrooms with no problem.
They asked me to bring my husband up for lunch and to leave him there for a few hours so they could get to know him.
This fills me with confidence for when I have to leave him.
All the best Roseann

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Roseann and Hazel

Roseann, the care home sounds excellent.

Hazel, I`m not resting on any laurels, it`s early days yet. He has just told me he has finished with hospitals for good.

Love xx

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Sylvia said:
He has just told me he has finished with hospitals for good.

:cool:And this time last week he was never going to go back to the Daycare group again ...

As Norman says, Day by Day! :rolleyes:

Sleep well Sylvia.

Love XxXxX

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Good evening Sylvia

I've just been reading your thread from quite a long way back especially since being away and feeling I've lost touch a bit with how you and Dhiren are doing. It was really interesting to see just how much has changed and not necessarily downhill changes either:)

As for Dhiren getting out to a day centre, that seemed impossible not that long ago and here he is getting there. All this is a massive change for you too because all these changes involve you and I think you are both doing marvellously. As for times of 'no sundowning' well what can I say:D

Love Helen

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Sylvia

I remember too well the "will he - won't he?" scenario on the days when Dad was scheduled to attend the Day Centre.

So many variables.....will he get out of bed? Will he be ready in time? Will he be well enough to go...will he go off with a cheery wave & a thumbs up from the mini-bus window or will he refuse to go?

Gill x

Hi Sylvia

I have had this experience with both Mum and Dad in the past, made me wonder if it was worth it.
But,when I was relying on daycare for a break and they didn't go, I felt the day was more tiring than normal. It shouldn't have been, but I think the expectation of having a break and then the disappointment when you can't, makes things harder to cope with.

Dhiren's medical? My parents for a while went to a day hospital AKA, Daycentre. They had blood tests, blood pressure, height weight, etc monitored.
Could this be what is happening at Dhiren's Daycentre?

Hope Dhiren continues at Daycentre and you can stop worrying about him and have a rest while he is he is there

Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Alfjess

Hope Dhiren continues at Daycentre and you can stop worrying about him and have a rest while he is he is there

When this happens I will know he has settled. For now, I`m anxious about how he`ll be when he gets home.

I will only consider it true respite when I can make arrangements to join a group and attend regularly.

I will ask the CPN or MHT support worked about the medical.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Confusion at bed time

Last night 10pm.
D `Where am I going to sleep tonight?`
S `In bed.`
D `Is there a bedroom here?`
S `Of course. At the front of the house.`
D `Where will you sleep?`
S `In the same bed. Is that all right?`
D `I don`t know.`
S `It is all right. I am your wife. We have shared a bed for 45 years.`
D `Where do the others sleep?`
S `There are no others, just you and me.`
D `And Paul.`
S `Paul has his own home, with his wife and his children.`
D `I know....... I have no pyjamas. I`ve no clean clothes for tomorrow.`
S `Of course you have. Everything you own is here in this house.`
D `How did they come here? Who brought them?`
S `Everything came in a removal van.`
D `How could they pick a whole house up and move it?`
S `They didn`t move the house. It is a different house with our things in from the old house.`
D `Now I understand.`

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I could not help it could I :D passes the time as the airpane not even landed in Gib yet, to take me back home , but am all book in, anyway can´t even have a fag :eek:

Anyway so the Had to pop in to TP while waiting for airplane to take me back home, so thought I would read how your all getting on while I been away

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
D `How did they come here? Who brought them?`
S `Everything came in a removal van.`
D `How could they pick a whole house up and move it?`
S `They didn`t move the house. It is a different house with our things in from the old house.`
D `Now I understand.`

Sylvia, Dhiren asks such sensible questions. OK, he doesn't understand his situation, and he doesn't remember your explanations, but his questions make so much sense, and he does understand and accept your explanations at the time.

Not much help, just an observation, but it does indicate that there's still a lot going on in his brain. I find that so interesting, just like a very intelligent child.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Hazel.

He only gets like this when he is tired or it`s sundowning.

At all other times he knows where he is and feels at home in this house. So often when we go out, on our return he says `Home sweet home` or `It`s so good to be home.`

But when confusion sets in, for whatever reason, his mind is blank, and he really can`t make sense of where he is.

It must be akin to total amnesia, but with the dementia thrown in for good measure.

I hope you are feeling better this morning.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Phone call from Mental Health Team [MHT]

I had an unexpected phone call this morning from I****, a male member of the MHT. He had taken Dhiren under his wing last Monday while C was on leave.

He asked how he`d been when he arrived home.

I told him all about the medical, how full of praise Dhiren had been for the NHS, how fit and well he was so wouldn`t ever need to go back and what a good frame of mind he had been in, almost euphoric.
I told I**** we had no sundowning but Dhiren had been extremely tired all of the following day.

I*** chuckled.

He had spent the full day with Dhiren one to one trying to provide him with variety, stimulation and attention. After lunch they went to the marina at Ramsgate and had a lovely time. I know Dhiren loves it there and it`s one of our regular haunts.
By the time they got back to the centre, it was time for the transport home.

I*** was pleased his care had been successful and told me this would continue for a few weeks in the hope that Dhiren would look forwards to the day centre.

After I came off the phone, Dhiren asked who it was. I told him, and reminded him of the trip out, he had had with I***.
He couldn`t remeber.

There had been no medical, nothing remotely resembling a medical.

And

We have spent all morning in the garden. I sewed name tapes on some of Dhiren`s clothes, we read the papers, chatted, had lunch, a lovely peaceful time.

During our chat, we discussed the TP Forum. I asked Dhiren what he thought it was for. He told me he thought it was to help me learn about Alzheimers so I could help him. He thought I was also helping others. I asked how he felt knowing I discussed him with others. He had no problem with it as he felt it was the only way for me to learn. His actual words were `you learn from others, others learn from you.`

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6