Changes to Talking Point

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

We are planning to update Talking Point in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works.

This means Talking Point will be unavailable from the morning of Monday 25 September. We hope to make Talking Point available again as soon as possible.

Why are we doing this?

This work will help to make Talking Point more secure. We also hope to make Talking Point easier to use particularly on mobile phones and tablets, and bring in some helpful features, including:

- Alerts when you have replies from other members
- Bookmarking useful posts
- A live chat feature
- Improvements to private messaging

Here’s an example:

1. new TP.png

Please note

When the update has completed:

1. You will still be able to access Talking Point at https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk

2. You will be able to use your existing username and password, and your messages, PMs and images will still be available.

We'll share more news as soon as we can. If you have questions, please feel free to reply below.

Thanks,

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hello Beate,

I can understand your feelings.

We only update Talking Point when we need to and in line with what our service users need. We also carefully plan and test changes to ensure we're making the best decisions for the majority of service users.

Please do let me know if you have specific questions or concerns and I'll do my best to offer information and support.

Many thanks,

Serena

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I also hope we will not be offline too long... selfishly. It has been my lifeline for over 7 years, and still is. As it is to many.

Sorry for the moan.

Loo x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hello Beate,

I can understand your feelings.

We only update Talking Point when we need to and in line with what our service users need. We also carefully plan and test changes to ensure we're making the best decisions for the majority of service users.

Please do let me know if you have specific questions or concerns and I'll do my best to offer information and support.

Many thanks,

Serena

I'm having a bad day. I'll be fine. I'll get used to it eventually, like I always do. Just never do it again!

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hello Amethyst,

That's a very good question. We're hoping to be unavailable for around 24-36 hours - long enough to move the information, update and check everything and add some helpful information. I'm not sure how long it will take, however.

Talking Point is 14 years old, so there's a lot of information to move and I want to be sure that everything works as expected before we return.

We're going to be directing service users to our Helpline on Monday if anyone is in need of more immediate support.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hello Loo and 2jays,

I'm hoping that we can return as soon as possible and if all goes to plan, we should be able to manage the 24-36 hour timeframe I've mentioned.

Thanks,

Serena :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
All I can do is wish you all good luck. I'm sure you'd not be undertaking all this hard work if it wasn't necessary .

My desk top computer has had to be taken for repair so I'm less likely to be affected by the shut down if I've no computer to log in with.

I find IT changes difficult too but we've all managed changes in the past so I expect we'll manage them this time too.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
36 HOURS? *hyperventilates*

:D

Even though I'm new to TP I feel the same way!!

I can hardly imagine going without TP for 36hrs.

However, some of the changes mentioned are things I thought were missing from the forum so I look forward to seeing the new format.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Change is never easy. Especially when people feel vulnerable. I'm sure the new, improved TP will be worth waiting for though. We just need to hang in there.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hello Loo and 2jays,

I'm hoping that we can return as soon as possible and if all goes to plan, we should be able to manage the 24-36 hour timeframe I've mentioned.

Thanks,

Serena :)

If I've got my data correct the plan (at last count) involves:

■ Transferring 1,430,327 posts.

■ Transferring 57,183 user profiles.

■ Transferring all PMs

■ Transferring all albums.

■ Last, but not least, checking everything went OK - hence the wide time span.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks everyone. :)

That sounds about right, nitram. We'll need to strike the balance between moving quickly and making sure everything is as it should be.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I'd rather you do it right than quickly. No doubt I like many will mutter and moan and adapt in time.
Just don't stay away too long, you'll be missed.. x.x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I'll miss you.
My life has changed for the better since I've known TP

It's only a short time off air, your usual bookmarks etc will get you to the improved site after the switch.
Everything will be there, maybe getting used to the new layout will take a little time.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
All I can say is the login procedure is not suited to those of us who are arthritic and cant hit buttons accurately! I have just spent sometime just trying to log in! Not knowing my password didn't help! Well, I might have, who knows. Apart from changing my new password to something I might remember, now completed.
But now grumpy!