Naturopathic remedies - any experience or views?

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
Recently had a set of naturopathic remedies prescribed for my wife (early onset AD), with a "guarantee" of reversal of some symptoms if the regime were followed to the letter - which made me sceptical straight away.
Has anyone any experience of things like: EDTA/Glutathione; Activated charcoal; Melatonin; Curcumin; selenium; magnesium and a wide range of vitamins/omega 3 supplements etc having any positive effects?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband took Vitamins, Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Selenium,Coenzyme Q10 , Brewers Yeast and cod liver oil in varying doses for at least 20 years before the onset of dementia and after diagnosis.

He was Indian so used Turmeric [ Curcumin] regularly in his diet.

Apart from a psychological reassurance because he was such a believer there was no difference at all in symptoms or health and just cost a lot of money.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Kisumu

if what has been prescribed is free, maybe go ahead and try - if you are paying through the nose for a regime, maybe take the info on board and source the suggestions yourself .... I think you can tell that I am sceptical too - if there were something guaranteed to reverse some symptoms, we'd all be using it already, surely

there have been discussions about 'alternative' ways to help those with dementia
eg
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?100874-Supplements
and
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?101595-Use-of-Alternative-Remedies-for-anxiety
if you use the Search Talking Point box at the extreme top right of this page, you'll find others

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Which quack prescribed that then? No self-respecting doctor would, as it's, with respect, nonsense.

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
My husband took Vitamins, Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Selenium,Coenzyme Q10 , Brewers Yeast and cod liver oil in varying doses for at least 20 years before the onset of dementia and after diagnosis.

He was Indian so used Turmeric [ Curcumin] regularly in his diet.

Apart from a psychological reassurance because he was such a believer there was no difference at all in symptoms or health and just cost a lot of money.

Thanks Grannie G...there is probably something in the reassurance factor I guess, if it gives a sufferer some peace of mind. But expensive if it doesn't have any real effect. I suspect the same outcome would be likely for the prescribed regime, and it IS somewhat reassuring to hear I am not alone in thinking the health benefits are minimal / zero

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
Which quack prescribed that then? No self-respecting doctor would, as it's, with respect, nonsense.

Thanks Beate
I was, of course, a naturopath who prescribed the regime. And spoken out quite clearly against 'conventional medicine' as being equally "nonsense"

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
hi Kisumu

if what has been prescribed is free, maybe go ahead and try - if you are paying through the nose for a regime, maybe take the info on board and source the suggestions yourself .... I think you can tell that I am sceptical too - if there were something guaranteed to reverse some symptoms, we'd all be using it already, surely

there have been discussions about 'alternative' ways to help those with dementia

if you use the Search Talking Point box at the extreme top right of this page, you'll find others

Thanks Shedrech
Not free, no. But then only provided recommendations as to where to buy...presume there are a number of alternate potential suppliers
I feel the same re the guarantees. Even if the medical establishment and health services are sceptical about naturpoathic treatments, it strikes me that if something were successful, the establishment would take it on board in these days of financial pressures in order to reduce the increasing strain on care provision
Will certainly follow the urls and your suggestions, thanks

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My late husband had qualifications in naturopathic medicine, herbalism, and other complementary therapies. He tried all sorts of things when he first noticed himself that he was having problems with memory, concentration etc. In fact, his GP suggested trying coconut oil, as it was the new "thing" being talked about as almost the cure for all ills at that time. He tried that, high doses of various vitamins and minerals, coffee, olive oil, garlic, different herbs and homeopathic remedies. His dementia moved relentlessly forward. But, I suppose, at least he felt he was doing something.

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
My late husband had qualifications in naturopathic medicine, herbalism, and other complementary therapies. He tried all sorts of things when he first noticed himself that he was having problems with memory, concentration etc. In fact, his GP suggested trying coconut oil, as it was the new "thing" being talked about as almost the cure for all ills at that time. He tried that, high doses of various vitamins and minerals, coffee, olive oil, garlic, different herbs and homeopathic remedies. His dementia moved relentlessly forward. But, I suppose, at least he felt he was doing something.

Thanks, Lady A. Sorry for your loss.

Yes, daily doses of coconut oil included on the long list I was given. Along with a daily smoothie of frozen fruit and many different vitamins.

Sounds as if yours, and your husband's experience, reflect what I suspect to be the reality around these remedies, else they would be more widely prescribed and we would probably hear about their success in the media

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don't believe any of these things can reverse the damage of dementia. I do start my husbands day with a bowl of porridge or bran and plenty of chopped fresh fruit, brown bread toast and tea. I know then that his gut will work well and there won't be problems with constipation. After that he can eat pretty much anything the day centre gives him.

Keep it simple and have a healthy dose of scepticism towards whatever "solutions" are thrown at you.

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
I don't believe any of these things can reverse the damage of dementia. I do start my husbands day with a bowl of porridge or bran and plenty of chopped fresh fruit, brown bread toast and tea. I know then that his gut will work well and there won't be problems with constipation. After that he can eat pretty much anything the day centre gives him.

Keep it simple and have a healthy dose of scepticism towards whatever "solutions" are thrown at you.

Thanks marionq. Sounds like very sensible advice!

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Kisumu,

From experience, I have a loopy sibling who is very into every -opathy going. After 5 years of being on expensive tablets and regimes, none had made any difference to mother's dementia nor her osteoporosis. Saw her over the weekend and she has shrunk even further. Now below 5 ft having been 5ft 7. Her memory is now so bad she is unable to remember either of her husbands, the male friends she has had since. Last one died less than a year ago so that was a bit of a shocker.

Very expensive and not making any difference.

kisumu

Aug 31, 2017
Kisumu,

From experience, I have a loopy sibling who is very into every -opathy going. After 5 years of being on expensive tablets and regimes, none had made any difference to mother's dementia nor her osteoporosis. Saw her over the weekend and she has shrunk even further. Now below 5 ft having been 5ft 7. Her memory is now so bad she is unable to remember either of her husbands, the male friends she has had since. Last one died less than a year ago so that was a bit of a shocker.

Very expensive and not making any difference.

Thanks for the feedback, OhKnickers. That is all sad.