Mum is gone

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Remember the good times and feel blessed that your mum finally found peace after such a long time,and may you and your family take time to heal.
X

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Ah, I am sorry to hear of your loss. These dark days will pass...and one day the memory of your lovely mum, before she got ill, will bring a smile to your face. She will always be in your head and your heart. God bless our mums.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
So sorry to read your post Ange - glad your Mum is at peace now and wishing you strength for the times ahead. Take care of yourself x

Treacle Tart

Oct 24, 2014
Southwark
My Mum passed on the 15th August 2017

My dear Mum passed at 6.30 this evening, I took the call as I was driving to pick up my Sister to do our evening visit. We missed her passing but I know she passed peacefully and I think she wanted to go before we got there. So glad I got her the help she needed last night to make her comfortable. I lost her 10 years ago to this vile disease but it still hurts right now. I am so glad she is now at peace and free from this torment. Thank you all at TP for being my friends and my rock, I have received such wonderful advice and support. Xx

Ange

Dear Angel
My wonderful Mum passed on the 15th August after five years of Dementia. On the 18th July she went into like a 'coma like sleep' and was admitted to hospital, treated for a urinary infection. As far as I'm concerned it was a failed discharge on the 19th as she was re-admitted on the 20th with in again 'coma like sleep'. Treated for infection again and full bowel. From then on she just seemed to deteriorate very rapidly, not being able to eat and drinking only what we could syringe. There was no conversation and she mainly slept but I didn't give up hoping my continually chatter she could hear. The Hospital discharge team and the Brokerage team wanted her to go into a home as they said 'hospital care is not respite'. Two failures due to Care Homes arguing over cost with Brokerage had me tearfully going in to tell Mums Consultant that 'she was not being moved anywhere, that she was staying put'. On the 7th July along with my Dad, 93 years young, we were told that Mum was now in the last stages of Dementia and life. She was taken to a single room, all her photo's us, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren where put up on her facing wall. Mum was given 24hr Palliative care. I received a call on the morning of the 15th just as I was about to leave for the hospital. Her breathing had become shallow and did I want to come and sit with her. Mum was surrounded by family, a very dear friend of nearly 82 years (they were evacuated together during WW2) and even her youngest Great Grandson of nineteen months. Mum was given morphine, the last was about fifteen minutes before she passed. I cannot fault the ward Mum was on, the staff were absolutely wonderful as was the Registrar who took care of Mum. My upset was NHS protocol and Local Borough Care Homes. Mum had only been in respite once other than that she was at home with my Dad and I seeing to her needs and making sure she was happy. I miss her loads but I feel happy that she is now at peace, so does my dear Dad. My condolence to you and your family at such a sad time but think, she is so much more happier now xxxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
My Mum passed on the 15th August 2017

Dear Angel
My wonderful Mum passed on the 15th August after five years of Dementia. On the 18th July she went into like a 'coma like sleep' and was admitted to hospital, treated for a urinary infection. As far as I'm concerned it was a failed discharge on the 19th as she was re-admitted on the 20th with in again 'coma like sleep'. Treated for infection again and full bowel. From then on she just seemed to deteriorate very rapidly, not being able to eat and drinking only what we could syringe. There was no conversation and she mainly slept but I didn't give up hoping my continually chatter she could hear. The Hospital discharge team and the Brokerage team wanted her to go into a home as they said 'hospital care is not respite'. Two failures due to Care Homes arguing over cost with Brokerage had me tearfully going in to tell Mums Consultant that 'she was not being moved anywhere, that she was staying put'. On the 7th July along with my Dad, 93 years young, we were told that Mum was now in the last stages of Dementia and life. She was taken to a single room, all her photo's us, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren where put up on her facing wall. Mum was given 24hr Palliative care. I received a call on the morning of the 15th just as I was about to leave for the hospital. Her breathing had become shallow and did I want to come and sit with her. Mum was surrounded by family, a very dear friend of nearly 82 years (they were evacuated together during WW2) and even her youngest Great Grandson of nineteen months. Mum was given morphine, the last was about fifteen minutes before she passed. I cannot fault the ward Mum was on, the staff were absolutely wonderful as was the Registrar who took care of Mum. My upset was NHS protocol and Local Borough Care Homes. Mum had only been in respite once other than that she was at home with my Dad and I seeing to her needs and making sure she was happy. I miss her loads but I feel happy that she is now at peace, so does my dear Dad. My condolence to you and your family at such a sad time but think, she is so much more happier now xxxx
Hi, I am sorry you had problems with NHS protocol and the care homes, you all did well to be able to look after your Mum in her own home, not an easy job. I am so sorry for your loss too, your love as a family shines through your post. Take care, as you say our Mums are now at peace xx

Ange

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
So sorry to hear about your Mum and so glad you were able to get the care for her that she needed in time. Wishing you strength Ange.
Thank you for your kind words, taking each day as it comes. I do see her smiling face now when I think of her, which is so much better than the tormented Mum I used to visit. Xx

Ange