Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well I would like to announce that this afternoon Mum finally after 16days finally had a bowel movement I honestly think Mum has forgotten how to go and unless she gets a strong urge she now just doesn't try.I was so relieved it happened over several visits to the toilet.
I really never thought I would get so excited about a bowel movement!!

Hi Rosy

I'm not losing any weight, not sure about getting any tone either. I think the recovery time needed is working against both :eek:

The things that excite us these days :eek::eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Apologies for the cut n run earlier, it got a bit full on :D

Someone who is helping me search for a campervan found a couple, so it was messages & web site surfing, I'd found a couple & messaged them, between us have picked a corker, fingers crossed its still available etc. Waiting for tomorrow for an update

While all that was going on, & I was attempting to post to here, J messaged & then arrived for B'day drinks :D

So, I was posting, chatting, messaging about camper vans & checking sites :eek: Youngest called with a minor crisis (which I've sorted) & I was barmaid!!

J has staggered home happy, mum is none the wiser (I'll tell her when I have definite news on a purchase) & I'm a little poorer. But, I'm getting there :D

Ok, so a few years ago a campervan & traveling about with mum was not on my radar, but at least we would have searched together, discussed layouts, prices, upgrades etc, now with Alz in the mix, I'm making decisions on my own. I'll be putting half of what I don't have into it, so need to get it right :eek:

Even if we don't use it a lot, the chance to go visit friends will be there. The chance to just s*d off for a day or several, would be good. Hey, I could just drive a mile and sleep on the seafront lol

It feels like the right thing to try, so that's what I'm doing

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Wow Sam hoping it's as good as it sounds.
I think you and your Mum not forgetting your dog will really enjoy a camper van.
Don't forget we've room on our drive

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Wow Sam hoping it's as good as it sounds.
I think you and your Mum not forgetting your dog will really enjoy a camper van.
Don't forget we've room on our drive

Hi Rosy :)

Although this one is a bit bigger than we'd been looking for, I don't think that's a bad thing, so long as I can drive the blasted thing, but I've driven a few odd vehicles, so I'm not overly worried :eek:

Being able to take the dog is a major part of the whole idea. Even if we visit non dog friendly people, (white carpets or cats at home), I can lounge with the dog & keep him company, but mum won't be fretting about him being at home without us, which is the main thing

You can expect us on your drive lol. Garage clearance with a view :D

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Yep, I hate dementia too! No dramas here, just the general relentless fight that can never be won :(

Sam, the situation with your car is utterly ridiculous! I suspect the garage are not bothering to hurry because you are not making a fuss. . .

Glad the campervan hunt seems to be going well. I can see that it would give you a lot more freedom - even if it is only the prospect of being able to run away! I'm afraid we don't have a drive here but there is a lot of on-street parking. AS long as you arrive before the dog walkers :)

Margi, I'm sorry that your mum didn't want to go to the coffee morning on her own. I hope she is happy when you see her next.

Rosy, hurrah! I'm very glad your mum managed to empty her bowel without too much drama.

I have also been getting excited about poo. Sky cat has produced several good size 'sausages' which is a sign that she is eating more. She is currently lying on the bed alongside me and seems happy enough. Alf is out untin somewhere.

Mum has been less bright on the past couple of visits but says she is 'very well' when asked.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Slugsta

I am now on first name terms with S at the garage :eek: The part has been thoroughly checked over, tested & should be fine, UPS promised delivery today ..... but it has yet to arrive :(. They can't fit it till it gets to them, so, another day at least. By tomorrow they will have had the car for 4 weeks :eek:

You caught me out, yes, I'll admit to thinking the Campervan would be an escape vehicle :D.

Yay. Another place to run to, although I'm pretty sure one of mums friends is in your area, so it is already a "place of interest" for the map :eek:

Pleased everyone is getting their quota of poo :eek: mum monitors the dog, I try to pretend I don't notice :D

Hope your mum continues to think she is very well, even if she doesn't seem so to you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Margi

Don't stress, I'll be at yours too :D. Might have to keep the dogs apart, but we can work on that lol

I'm trying to find (or print off) a map so I can put on the locations of driveways to park on :eek:

Ahem. I've got a driveway too! We'll not talk about the rather narrow gateway. But, hey, the oil delivery tanker gets in, in reverse! I'm sure your camper isn't any bigger than that!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ahem. I've got a driveway too! We'll not talk about the rather narrow gateway. But, hey, the oil delivery tanker gets in, in reverse! I'm sure your camper isn't any bigger than that!

Oooh, thank you LadyA :D, I'll have to buy the blasted thing to find out what size I end up with, then get very comfortable driving it before attempting to get on the ferry

The idea of Ireland had slipped into my thoughts, but slipped out again as I thought of the M50 :eek: never mind the rambling cross country roads to Fal Carragh!! I'll need to be very comfortable to do that in a campervan, but I'd have to go again :D

If I'm honest, it's driving on & off the ferry that scares the bejeebers out of me. :eek: I hate heights & struggle with the ro-ro of ferries :eek: (thinks about suggesting Margi comes & her OH can do that bit :eek:

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi Sam
Just popping in to see how you are.
Sorry to hear about your car but I think the camper van is a great idea and would be beneficial for you and your Mum. We don't have a pathway but we are near the beach with lots of parking (and you nearly know your way here:D).

All this talk about poo reminded me of Dad.....
Years ago I'd picked up a Bristol Stool Chart from work and Barb, Dad and I used to laugh about it and what we had done that day. (Especially on Turd-day.....sorry) Of course the novelty wore off.
Then when we had dementia Dad who was confused with everything, he would come out of the toilet and say" I think it's a 4, have a look". ;)
Ha ha we couldn't believe he had remembered that chart. It was so funny when we had to explain to professionals what he was on about!

Now about his 'flower'........well that's another story!

Thought you might like a chart of your own so here it is....

Attachments

• IMG_5876.PNG
    IMG_5876.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 260

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi Sam
Sorry to hear about your car but I think the camper van is a great idea and would be beneficial for you and your Mum. We don't have a pathway but we are near the beach with lots of parking (and you nearly know your way here:D).

Years ago I'd picked up a Bristol Stool Chart from work and Barb, Dad and I used to laugh about it and what we had done that day. (Especially on Turd-day.....sorry) Of course the novelty wore off.
Then when we had dementia Dad who was confused with everything, he would come out of the toilet and say" I think it's a 4, have a look". ;)
Ha ha we couldn't believe he had remembered that chart. It was so funny when we had to explain to professionals what he was on about!

Hi there sister act

Hope your both well x

You two made Sam and I so welcome in Liverpool, would love to repeat :)

Your post zapped a memory for me too :eek:

When dad was really ill and I was over at theirs most weekends, mum developed the habit of coming out and showing me the contents of his commode :eek:
I would literally turn green and breakfast was off the radar :eek:
Why are older people obsessed with bowels ??

I've come across the chart too ;)

Take care lovely ladies x

Ps intrigued about the flower ha ha

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Oooh, thank you LadyA :D, I'll have to buy the blasted thing to find out what size I end up with, then get very comfortable driving it before attempting to get on the ferry

The idea of Ireland had slipped into my thoughts, but slipped out again as I thought of the M50 :eek: never mind the rambling cross country roads to Fal Carragh!! I'll need to be very comfortable to do that in a campervan, but I'd have to go again :D

If I'm honest, it's driving on & off the ferry that scares the bejeebers out of me. :eek: I hate heights & struggle with the ro-ro of ferries :eek: (thinks about suggesting Margi comes & her OH can do that bit :eek:

I'm sure we could persuade oh to do that :D

We could just save him a seat in the bar :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Sam

Hi Gals :D

Good to see you again, hope you're both well :).

Geeez, am I never going to live that one down :p. It's not my fault the blasted SatNav bought be in the wrong way when you had a train issue :D. I think the "loop" will be my room 101 for Liverpool :rolleyes: but we made it in the end, although I suspect the "in the end" was the issue ;). I'll park on the outskirts & train it to you (assuming you have them that week!!!)

I was literally almost crying laughing at that chart, I might have to save it and stick it in the loo for checking on Turdsday :D. The obsession with poo :eek: it's a bit beyond me, why does it have to be at mealtimes??? I must be getting hardened :eek: as I'm getting better at steering the subject away

Come on, what's a "flower"??

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yay. Good news on the car, I can pick it up, all done

Now, I know it's been a long time & it's been frustrating & they've not been brilliant this week about calling me back, but .....

They had visually checked the wiring, but found no fault, the EPU (computer bit) has gone for testing, been cleaned up & a few solder joints re-done, but they couldn't find a fault :(. So, can't be 100% sure it's cured.

The garage have out the EPU back in, but, to be sure, they have replaced the wiring loom. At this point of the conversation I'm seeing £££ & grimacing. He tells me that this means if it goes wrong again, it can only be the EPU & I will have to replace that with either new or reconditioned :(

As the job has been very frustrating & long winded for both them & myself .... they are only recharging me the cost of the test & 0.6 hour labour & have done the wiring loom for free :D :D. Total cost £130

So, I'm not as broke as I thought I would be & after the 45 min walk tomorrow I will have wheels :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124