advice on paying for a care or nursing home

DUC748

Feb 22, 2016
Mum is living at home cared for by my Dad and occasional carers, the house is in joint names.
they have some some savings but not huge amounts does anyone have any experience
of the best path to follow in the West Berkshire area.

its mine field!

thanks

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Mum is living at home cared for by my Dad and occasional carers, the house is in joint names.
they have some some savings but not huge amounts does anyone have any experience
of the best path to follow in the West Berkshire area.

its mine field!

thanks
Hi DUC748 and welcome to TP,

Have a read of these 2 factsheets and see if it makes more sense.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/E..._permanent_residential_care_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/E..._home_if_you_have_a_partner_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know your area but some things are nationwide.

When it comes to paying for care, a financial assessment will be made of Mum's finances only. Any joint account will be considered as 50% hers regardless of who puts what in. The house will be disregarded as long as they both live in it, so even if she had to go into care, it will be prevented from counting as it's still your Dad's main home.

If your Mum has more than £23,250 in savings, she will be classed as self-funding. Between £14,250 and £23,250 Social Services will contribute. Under £14,250 care should be free, though state pensions and half of private pensions would be used towards the funding.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Its fair to say that things are in a state of flux

I would be careful about making any immediate decisions on the facts as the currently are. You should ask about the situation of a home shared with another person post the introduction of the new care act and think about which government regime you think might be in force when your parent needs to spend a lot on care.

I made decisions on the situation then in place - the promise of a cap of 72,000 on care payments meaning that the money I lost from giving up my job would eventually filter back to me. The then government removed the care cap.

I would ask what people might think would be the most likely regulations in force in 3 years down the line as well as what exists now.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I would be careful about making any immediate decisions on the facts as the currently are. You should ask about the situation of a home shared with another person post the introduction of the new care act and think about which government regime you think might be in force when your parent needs to spend a lot on care.

I made decisions on the situation then in place - the promise of a cap of 72,000 on care payments meaning that the money I lost from giving up my job would eventually filter back to me. The then government removed the care cap.

I would ask what people might think would be the most likely regulations in force in 3 years down the line as well as what exists now.

As you discovered, a promise is just that and not the reality of a situation so they didn't remove the cap as it never became fact. In view of that I would be reluctant to advise anyone to base their decisions on what might be in place in the future.
Another source of helpful information might be the following from the AS.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/downl...et_paying_for_care_and_support_in_england.pdf

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I only ever give the position as it is now. It is pointless to speculate what this or another government might do next. There is simply no way of knowing until it is actually put in place.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
You're right Beate, but I would also think it's unwise to expect that any changes will mean less ££ paid out for care by most self-funding people in the foreseeable future. The government is totally pre-occupied with Brexit and there's little time or energy left for other issues especially for a major rethink of social care before 2020. I would love to be wrong but just can't see it.

'Plan for the worst and hope for the best'.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
True - we all know that social care is underfunded and that it's probably going to get worse before it might get better. It's good to be prepared though for when the time for a care home comes by reading up on whatever system is in place at the time.