Im 25 and very anxious and concerned.

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
Hello everyone. So let me give you guys some history first. About a month or 2 ago I got sick with a bad cough. At night I could not sleep. It go so bad that I went for 3 days without sleep. I went to the doctor because I was worried I was going to die from the inability to sleep. He gave me some anti anxiety meds and told me to relax and it'll get better. So after a few days my cough subsided and I started sleeping regularly again. Well after a week or so I started to not sleep well again. Id sleep well 1 night and the next little to none. After a while I started having memory issues. I would forget little things where I left something or something I had just read. At my job I deal with a lot of patients and testing and I forget there names even after reading them a second ago. I just generally felt like in a fog. Well I googled it which probably wasn't smart and I think you can guess what results popped up. So for about a month now I've been thinking, breathing, eating and stressing over Alzheimers. Hell for a couple weeks I even dreamt about it. Doing test to see if I had it in my sleep and failing or not knowing where I'm at and being lost. I went to the hospital after a bad night of sleep and told them what was happening. The staff thought I was crazy and tried reassuring me. I went to see a doctor not to long ago about my symptoms and such. I told him about the googling and the lack of sleep and everything. He wants for me to try fixing my sleep hygiene and eat better. Maybe see a psychiatrist for my anxiety. I started taking fish oil and multi vitamins even b12. I eat three meals now and even this smoothie I make with blue berries broccoli and a whole avocado. I've been sleeping better but I dont feel any different. I feel like I'm going mad here. I catch myself doing something that I just did a second ago like putting my keys in my pocket and checking again cause I cant remember if I did or didn't. Only one person in my family has had alzheimers and they didn't get it til they were 90. My father is adopted though so I know nothing about his family. I'm analyzing every little thing I do. I even did the online test to screen if anything is off. I've never drawn so many clock faces in my life. What should I do? Im so worried I'm already losing my mind. I don't want to forget anyone! Especially not my parents or my loving gf who has been going through hell with me. I feel so guilty making my loved ones worried. None of my doctors are taking me seriously. Am I just over thinking or should I be gravely concerned? Please any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello JustZenin

Your doctors must take you seriously. Whether you have dementia or not you are in a serious state of deep anxiety and really do need help.

Can your girlfriend see your doctor with you to explain just how anxious you are

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello JustZenin
welcome to TP
we're not medics or professionals here, so wouldn't want to even try to diagnose
I think it's unlikely that dementia is at play, though not impossible
vitamin B12 deficiency can give some similar symptoms, as can stress and depression - so your GP may look into those - Grannie G is right, go talk to the GP again
worrying about something can also make symptoms more noticeable and even exacerbate them
maybe do a youtube search for videos by Tepa Snow - there is one where she explains the difference in the forgetfulness we can all encounter and what is happening in those with dementia
there are also fact sheets on the main AS site - see the link button top right
dementia is an awful lot more than forgetfulness, if your friends and family haven't seen changes in your behaviour and your GP isn't concerned about it being what is going on with you, maybe you could trust them - and also trust that what is helping with your sleep may also lead to other concerns settling; sleep deprivation can in itself cause havoc
you are wise to look to your diet and exercise - maybe just play some word games socially eg Scrabble with your gf, rather than testing yourself into oblivion - more fun when you play with others and gives you social stimulation too
best wishes

Last edited:

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
Your doctors must take you seriously. Whether you have dementia or not you are in a serious state of deep anxiety and really do need help.

Can your girlfriend see your doctor with you to explain just how anxious you are

Thank you so much for responding. She was actually with me when I went to see the doctor last. She thinks its nothing as well. Says I haven't repeated myself or forgotten anything. She thinks its just me being a hypochondriac. The only thing she has noticed is that my behavior has changed due to the anxiety. I feel worn out and like my mind is microwaved. I try to just hush my fears of dementia but its just always there. I've read so many stories and seen so many videos of people coping with a loved one who has it. It breaks my heart and makes me feel guilty that I will do that to someone sooner or later possibly. I just don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I feel like if he had just tested me or asked me more or even listened more I would feel better. Ultimately I just want to be tested cause its proof that its not happening. After that I'd be glad to see about my mental health and do therapy or something.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I too think that it's unlikely to be dementia - but anxiety, depression, lack of sleep are very painful things that do need to be dealt with. When I was at university fifty years ago I had panic attacks and a breakdown, and for six months after that I couldn't concentrate on reading, something that previously I had loved.

I hope you get a diagnosis and some help for what you are suffering. And until then, that you can find some peace & relaxation.

Very best wishes,
Marcelle

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello JustZenin

I`m not a doctor but wouldn`t want to test you while you are in the state of anxiety you are in. I doubt any test could yield an accurate result.

I wonder if you would consider asking your doctor to recommend a hypnotherapist . You might have to pay but the doctor should be able to recommend someone who is properly qualified, not someone with only a Diploma.

A well qualified Hypnotherapist may be able to reduce your anxiety .

I`m speaking from personal experience. A highly qualified Hypnotherapist could really help you.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi JustZenin

Please take a deep breath and as others have suggested on here, go back to your GP.

My daughter was only a couple of years younger than you, and had just embarked on her Masters degree when her whole life unravelled. Like Marcelle123 it was depression. No one knows why it happened, but it was horrible witnessing such a bright and clever person disintegrate like she did - although we now know that it is scarily common. She was unable to concentrate, retain information, she was forgetful, her sleep was badly affected, she lost loads of weight and her emotions were all over the place. Thankfully she was persuaded to go to the GP and with time and medication, things improved dramatically. When you spoke about your mind feeling microwaved - it sounded so familiar. It's easy to say 'try not to worry' - but that's so much easier said than done.

Make sure ( even if you dont feel like it) that you are eating a good and balanced diet - rest when you can and try not to take on anything stressful. My daughter found that gentle exercise really helped, particularly outdoors. She walked in the fresh air and found she could 'switch off' more when swimming. But most importantly, go back to your GP.

I do hope that your worries are addressed very soon and appropriate treatment will improve things for you.

Best wishes

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
Hi JustZenin

Please take a deep breath and as others have suggested on here, go back to your GP.

My daughter was only a couple of years younger than you, and had just embarked on her Masters degree when her whole life unravelled. Like Marcelle123 it was depression. No one knows why it happened, but it was horrible witnessing such a bright and clever person disintegrate like she did - although we now know that it is scarily common. She was unable to concentrate, retain information, she was forgetful, her sleep was badly affected, she lost loads of weight and her emotions were all over the place. Thankfully she was persuaded to go to the GP and with time and medication, things improved dramatically. When you spoke about your mind feeling microwaved - it sounded so familiar. It's easy to say 'try not to worry' - but that's so much easier said than done.

Make sure ( even if you dont feel like it) that you are eating a good and balanced diet - rest when you can and try not to take on anything stressful. My daughter found that gentle exercise really helped, particularly outdoors. She walked in the fresh air and found she could 'switch off' more when swimming. But most importantly, go back to your GP.

I do hope that your worries are addressed very soon and appropriate treatment will improve things for you.

Best wishes

Oh man your response scared me silly for a second. I guess in my anxious state I skimmed through your words and only saw the "Her whole life unraveled" part. Missed the it was depression part and saw the "No one knows why it happened, but it was horrible witnessing such a bright and clever person disintegrate like she did - although we now know that it is scarily common" Nearly passed out when i read that. But really thank you so much for your story. I'm going to call and see if I can get someone who will take me serious and take just a bit of time with me to really hear me out. I'm hopeful its nothing or if it is something like depression or anxiety I want to be proactive with it. I hope your daughter is still well. Thank you for your response.

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
hello JustZenin
welcome to TP
we're not medics or professionals here, so wouldn't want to even try to diagnose
I think it's unlikely that dementia is at play, though not impossible
vitamin B12 deficiency can give some similar symptoms, as can stress and depression - so your GP may look into those - Grannie G is right, go talk to the GP again
worrying about something can also make symptoms more noticeable and even exacerbate them
maybe do a youtube search for videos by Tepa Snow - there is one where she explains the difference in the forgetfulness we can all encounter and what is happening in those with dementia
there are also fact sheets on the main AS site - see the link button top right
dementia is an awful lot more than forgetfulness, if your friends and family haven't seen changes in your behaviour and your GP isn't concerned about it being what is going on with you, maybe you could trust them - and also trust that what is helping with your sleep may also lead to other concerns settling; sleep deprivation can in itself cause havoc
you are wise to look to your diet and exercise - maybe just play some word games socially eg Scrabble with your gf, rather than testing yourself into oblivion - more fun when you play with others and gives you social stimulation too
best wishes

I took your advice and watched some of Teepa Snows videos. She very informative and so "humorous" about something so dark and scary. I showed the videos to my girlfriend and she said "you haven't exhibited any of that behavior." The only thing shes noticed change about me is being a little less social because I've been so anxious. I was at work when I first posted cause I always feel more anxious there. I just go into hyper analyzing mode when I do anything there. It's almost like ocd with how perfect I feel I'm suppose to be. Like to remember each patients name and all the tests they need. I write it all down cause there is just so many. But some times like when I'm typing in the data I test myself and see if I can remember it myself. When I don't and get it totally wrong or draw a blank that is when I get anxious and feel like something is really wrong with me. I work with a ophthalmologist as a tester. You know I actually work with some patients who do have Alzheimers sometimes. It breaks my heart seeing them struggle with the test. I remember one not to long ago. She came in with her daughter and her daughter called me over and told me what was going on with her. She said just be patient and calm with her. I affirmed and took my time as we were going to be doing a visual field and its a little tough for other patients as well. I remember right in the middle of the test she raises her head out of the chin rest looks at me doe eyed and asks me "what are we doing again?" I almost cried right there and then when she asked that. Absolutely destroyed me. That moment has actually been floating in my head along with other patients I've encountered before as well. Maybe that might also be triggering my anxiety. I dont know. But I'm going to try and see another doctor who will take a little more time with me and hopefully just hear me out. Thanks for all the advice and the response. Means a lot.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi JustZenin

So sorry if I scared you with my post. Just that it sounded so familiar.

As I said, my daughter went to her GP on campus.GP was fantastic, and recognised what was happening immediately (my daughter thought she was losing her mind). Interestingly it is very common with high achievers in their 20's. She was well supported and took SSRI's for about 18 months. She avoided stressful situations as far as she could, paced herself and got her Masters despite everything. A real feat when at her worst she could go into total meltdown if she forgot an ingredient for her meal, or was in floods of tears if she could not decide what coat to put on and said lectures were just like a jumble of words and papers a meaningless mass.

The good news is that within 2 years of outset she had a demanding job dependent on deadlines. She has gone from strength to strength, and now has a brilliant career thriving on demanding challenges within tight time constraints. She has become adept at what I call 'plate spinning' - you know, keeping all the balls in the air and not letting one drop! No one would ever believe the state she was in at that time and what she went through.

I only tell you all this to show that things can and will get better.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but nobody should be feeling as you do and not receive help. I hope things improve dramatically for you very soon.

You will be in my thoughts.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
Hello JustZenin
You remind me of an episode I had when I was much younger but a bit older than you. I was overworking, overthinking, overworrying and everything was personal. A few sessions with a psychologist and a homeopath sorted me out, time on medication was minimal and they taught me how to handle life on a daily basis.
Take care xxxx

JohnC777

Jun 26, 2017
Hello everyone. So let me give you guys some history first. About a month or 2 ago I got sick with a bad cough. At night I could not sleep. It go so bad that I went for 3 days without sleep. I went to the doctor because I was worried I was going to die from the inability to sleep. He gave me some anti anxiety meds and told me to relax and it'll get better. So after a few days my cough subsided and I started sleeping regularly again. Well after a week or so I started to not sleep well again. Id sleep well 1 night and the next little to none. After a while I started having memory issues. I would forget little things where I left something or something I had just read. At my job I deal with a lot of patients and testing and I forget there names even after reading them a second ago. I just generally felt like in a fog. Well I googled it which probably wasn't smart and I think you can guess what results popped up. So for about a month now I've been thinking, breathing, eating and stressing over Alzheimers. Hell for a couple weeks I even dreamt about it. Doing test to see if I had it in my sleep and failing or not knowing where I'm at and being lost. I went to the hospital after a bad night of sleep and told them what was happening. The staff thought I was crazy and tried reassuring me. I went to see a doctor not to long ago about my symptoms and such. I told him about the googling and the lack of sleep and everything. He wants for me to try fixing my sleep hygiene and eat better. Maybe see a psychiatrist for my anxiety. I started taking fish oil and multi vitamins even b12. I eat three meals now and even this smoothie I make with blue berries broccoli and a whole avocado. I've been sleeping better but I dont feel any different. I feel like I'm going mad here. I catch myself doing something that I just did a second ago like putting my keys in my pocket and checking again cause I cant remember if I did or didn't. Only one person in my family has had alzheimers and they didn't get it til they were 90. My father is adopted though so I know nothing about his family. I'm analyzing every little thing I do. I even did the online test to screen if anything is off. I've never drawn so many clock faces in my life. What should I do? Im so worried I'm already losing my mind. I don't want to forget anyone! Especially not my parents or my loving gf who has been going through hell with me. I feel so guilty making my loved ones worried. None of my doctors are taking me seriously. Am I just over thinking or should I be gravely concerned? Please any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

are you self-medicating with bad stuff? get off caffeine, alcohol etc? withdrawal won't be easy, but you might find your brain much better afterwards

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
Not at all.

are you self-medicating with bad stuff? get off caffeine, alcohol etc? withdrawal won't be easy, but you might find your brain much better afterwards

I don't drink coffee or alcohol or do drugs. So it isn't any of that.

JustZenin

Jun 14, 2017
So the blood test came back.

They are all in normal range. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just told me to keep eating better take my vitamins and exercise. All to which I have been doing. But I don't know what it is. I just feel off still. I still forget little things. I remember later after thinking about it..but I still don't feel like me. I'm seeing someone about my psych health to get evaluated here on the 12th. Maybe its just that..I don't know.. But not a day has gone by since I posted this have I stopped thinking about it. Still gnawing at my head..still testing and still watching myself with everything I do..I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I keep seeing articles and post about people in their 20s and 30s getting Alzheimer and its just so scary. It breaks my heart that anybody gets it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife