News about the Talking Point App

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Aah, perhaps I am in a minority, but I have always preferred the main site. I did try the app on my mobile a few times but I didn't like it and reverted back to the main site with a sigh of relief.

It's a long time since I have posted and wanted to insert a photo, but I had hoped with the advent of the app that this would be much easier than it had previously been. I didn't find this to be the case and was among the reasons why I was more than happy to go back to the main site.

I still have difficulties trying to post photos, unless I use my laptop, but most of my photos are on my mobile, so, being lazy, I gave up trying to post any photos at all. You have been spared endless depictions of an errant collie, so every cloud....as they say. :)
I'm another minority member then as I always use the main site no matter if on computer, iPad or phone. I couldn't get on with the app at all as it looked so unfamiliar.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I always use the app. I've been on the main site to make sure I can use it but prefer the app as I can get all the unread in one place. I'll be on the app til it dies...

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm another minority member then as I always use the main site no matter if on computer, iPad or phone. I couldn't get on with the app at all as it looked so unfamiliar.

Count me in on the minority too. I couldn't use the app at all, as Saffie says, everything was so unfamiliar

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can see the ratio of members currently logged on and using using the app
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/online.php?order=asc&sort=username&pp=25&page=1

They have
tapatalk-online.png
at extreme right against their usernames.

Although
We continue to see an increase in users accessing Talking Point via smartphones and
tablets. As of December 2015, 64% of visits to Talking Point came from mobile devices.

>>>Latest members' survey<<<

the number of members using a phone without the app cannot be estimated as the breakdown of phone and tablet users has not been disclosed.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm the other way round. I've always used the app on iPad since I've been on this site. I did actually try and use the main thing yesterday. It was terrible. I could do very little I wanted and none of it made sense!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm the other way round. I've always used the app on iPad since I've been on this site. I did actually try and use the main thing yesterday. It was terrible. I could do very little I wanted and none of it made sense!

I suppose that 's the difference. There was no app when I joined TP.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When I joined, I only had the laptop, so I used the main site on that. Took me a while to learn to use the App. But I did love the App, as I can't use the full site on my phone, the screen is too small. And I find with the mobile style, I miss a lot. The "what's new" feature isn't nearly as good as the "unread" - or, the feature I miss most, the "participated" feature on the App! I don't subscribe to every post I reply to, and then often can't find the thread again.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Aah, perhaps I am in a minority, but I have always preferred the main site. I did try the app on my mobile a few times but I didn't like it and reverted back to the main site with a sigh of relief.

It's a long time since I have posted and wanted to insert a photo, but I had hoped with the advent of the app that this would be much easier than it had previously been. I didn't find this to be the case and was among the reasons why I was more than happy to go back to the main site.

I still have difficulties trying to post photos, unless I use my laptop, but most of my photos are on my mobile, so, being lazy, I gave up trying to post any photos at all. You have been spared endless depictions of an errant collie, so every cloud....as they say. :)

Nice to hear from you Deborah. I quite like looking at pictures of dogs! Hopefully our intended improvements to Talking Point will help make it easier to share photos with other members soon. :)

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
You can see the ratio of members currently logged on and using using the app
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/online.php?order=asc&sort=username&pp=25&page=1

They have
tapatalk-online.png
at extreme right against their usernames.

Although
We continue to see an increase in users accessing Talking Point via smartphones and
tablets. As of December 2015, 64% of visits to Talking Point came from mobile devices.

>>>Latest members' survey<<<

the number of members using a phone without the app cannot be estimated as the breakdown of phone and tablet users has not been disclosed.

You're right, nitram. It's tricky for us to know how many people are only using the app as some members are using different ways to access Talking Point depending on their device. From the totals I can see in the app statistics it's not the majority of mobile device users and it's impossible to know whether people are happy with the mobile site and just choose to use the app.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
When I joined, I only had the laptop, so I used the main site on that. Took me a while to learn to use the App. But I did love the App, as I can't use the full site on my phone, the screen is too small. And I find with the mobile style, I miss a lot. The "what's new" feature isn't nearly as good as the "unread" - or, the feature I miss most, the "participated" feature on the App! I don't subscribe to every post I reply to, and then often can't find the thread again.

I agree that the mobile style is a bit limiting, LadyA. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to bring improvements to TP soon to limit the negative impact of losing the app. :)

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Talking Point app closure

Hi everyone,

I'm posting an update to let you know that we are aiming to phase out the app over the next couple of days. We will keep this discussion updated so please do check this thread for further updates.

Thanks,

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Out of interest what will happen if members attempt to use the app when it has gone?

I don't like the phrase 'phase out', I regard the change as a binary option!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Out of interest what will happen if members attempt to use the app when it has gone?

I don't like the phrase 'phase out', I regard the change as a binary option!

Oh Nitram, only you would say that! :D
I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about! :eek:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is this

"I don't like the phrase 'phase out', I regard the change as a binary option!"

the bit you don't have a clue about?

It means it either it is there or it is absent, only two options, nothing inbetween of partially working.

I doubt that I am unique in the understanding of binary in this context.

I was asking, for general TP info, what app aficionados could expect on the demise (not slow death) of the app.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That's the clause Nitram. Binary was always a vague concept to me as are many such mathematical terms. Not my subject at all. It was more your use of it with the TP app that made me smile.