Help - urgent please - Recommendations for incontinence pull ups for women.

Kirsty3030

Mar 26, 2017
My elderly Mum, 87 and very slow on her walking frame, just diagnosed with Alzheimers Dementia, middle stage, is going to a hospital appointment week after next.

Occasionally, Mum is bowel incontinent - can someone please recommend a good and really dependable brand of pull on incontinence pants for her - but must be for bowel rather than just urine incontinence, so that both she and I do not have to worry about her having an 'accident' while she is away from home.

Is UK Age Concern the best website to order from? Do I need to order the size of her hip measurement? She is a 42 inch hip which seems borderline between medium and large.

Hoping to get supplies from NHS soon once I can organise it. Any recommendations greatly appreciated, as I need to order ASAP.

Many thanks for any answers. :)

Hi , I just had a similar issue with my dad - I went to my local small pharmacy and the lady there was fantastic - she took me in a little room to discuss it privately gave me lots of free samples to take home to try and gave me her recommendations as to other people's advice etc. Worth a try ?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Having started off with panty liner type products for my wife, we worked our way up to Tena Super Medium pull up pants.

After a rather drawn out process with the district nurse team (referred by our GP), where they initially said they couldn't provide anything as at that time, she wasn't completely incontinent, I persevered and eventually got them to provide pull-up pants.

As luck would have it, they were just changing contracts over to Tena, so we ended up getting the same one's I had been buying. Here in East Kent, they provide enough for 4 a day. My wife was initially getting through anything from 3 to 6 a day so I thought that at least I would save quite a bit.

More recently, I've started trying to preempt things by frequently asking her if she needs the loo (I can often tell as she gets fidgety). Most time she goes however, sometimes she just sits there and I have to keep getting her to stand up, then sit down again and eventually, she goes.

Doing this is very time-consuming and obviously I can't do it if we're out and about but it does mean that on a good day, she only gets through 2 or 3 changes a day. So I reckon that I may get away without having to buy any additional supplies.

Best wishes
Phil

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Boots Staydry pull ups work for my Mum who has bowel problems.

Thanks for that - am going to have a look in Boots tomorrow. :) Have ordered some Depend pull up pants from Ebay today and also some perfumed nappy disposal bags.

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Hi
Our local incontinence clinic gave us pull ups but only 2 a day and 1 overnight- no where near enough.
I bought same brand as was prescribed -doubled what they thought she would need,which men at always ahd about 10days supplies in at anytime.
I kept the dementia equivalent of a nappy change bag in my car- some scented bin bags or nappy bags,couple of pull up, couple of pads and few pairs of disposable gloves and wet wipes. Also,couple of pairs normal knickers.
We managed with pull ups during day most of the time, and pull ups + liner and a bed liner at night.
Now in ch they use pads inside knickers but residents are taken to toilet every 2 hours .
Still have packed bag in car for when called to a+e etc ,outings

Do buy disposable gloves to use,scented bin liners etc,as however quickly you change-dispose of a soiled pad,they can small,especially if your council only do the bins every two weeks. I used to seal every pad in a nappy bag if just wet,and the stronger slightly larger scented bathroom bin bag if soiled,and throw straight away.means a lot of bags,but was only way to keep the house smelling fresh-also, when her carers just changed mum and left pad I a bag in bathroom-presumably thinking would put more in the bag,she unpacked them.
Good luck
Ros

Thanks Ros, that's all sensible advice. Where do you get the larger scented bathroom bin bags from please? What's the brand name? Many thanks :)

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Hi , I just had a similar issue with my dad - I went to my local small pharmacy and the lady there was fantastic - she took me in a little room to discuss it privately gave me lots of free samples to take home to try and gave me her recommendations as to other people's advice etc. Worth a try ?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Definitely, thank you, anything is worth a try.... :D

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Having started off with panty liner type products for my wife, we worked our way up to Tena Super Medium pull up pants.

After a rather drawn out process with the district nurse team (referred by our GP), where they initially said they couldn't provide anything as at that time, she wasn't completely incontinent, I persevered and eventually got them to provide pull-up pants.

As luck would have it, they were just changing contracts over to Tena, so we ended up getting the same one's I had been buying. Here in East Kent, they provide enough for 4 a day. My wife was initially getting through anything from 3 to 6 a day so I thought that at least I would save quite a bit.

More recently, I've started trying to preempt things by frequently asking her if she needs the loo (I can often tell as she gets fidgety). Most time she goes however, sometimes she just sits there and I have to keep getting her to stand up, then sit down again and eventually, she goes.

Doing this is very time-consuming and obviously I can't do it if we're out and about but it does mean that on a good day, she only gets through 2 or 3 changes a day. So I reckon that I may get away without having to buy any additional supplies.

Best wishes
Phil

Thanks Phil, Having looked it up online, it seems there is a continence nurse in Mum's area, going to ring GP to find out the situation tomorrow. In the meantime have order some Depend pants and off to Boots tomorrow to get pads as an extra measure if needed.

Don't know if she will get NHS help as it's not continual incontinence yet, usually in the morning that Mum has an 'accident' at the moment - I think so anyway - as I live quite far from her and have to rely on what I observe during a three day visit, as Mum is reluctant, embarrassed/unable to talk to me about it much to to the worsening Alzheimers, she has not been telling her carers about it up until now, trying to manage by herself, soaking, washing, drying her ordinary pants, bless her.

If she did get pants/pads it would be great - I think she is relieved that I know now and can help her.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Hi adnil . At the time my mum became incontinent ( 3 years ago) , the continence service from the GP did not provide pull ups so I went in search of my own . I tried and tested a lot of brands and now buy depends with an insert from attends contour which has been a great addition . Most of the time it's just a change of insert which saves time and effort taking trousers off etc if having to change the pull up . Overnight my mum wears a wrap around style from Tena . I get all of these pads from a company called incontinence choice ( I hope I haven't offended by mentioning company but I have noticed others have mentioned them ) . I buy in bulk which saves money . I also buy baby wipes , small disposal bags and gloves. My local council also gave me a second wheelie bin to dispose of incontinence products . Hope you get something suitable for your mum . Best wishes , Lou

Thanks Lou, have ordered some Depend pants to try, also perfumed disposal bags, going to Boots for pads tomorrow for Mum's hospital trip. Will have a look at the Attends Contour too. Thanks also for recommending a company to buy from. Baby wipes are also a good idea, guess they work out much cheaper than Andrex Washlets.

Kind regards and thanks again. :)

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post - you are all very kind and I'm really pleased for your support.

:)

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Your welcome adnil . Let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask for any more advice . Best wishes . Lou

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
Thanks, Samantha, I'll take a look at their website. :)
Hi Adnil may I ask why they won't give pull ups for daytime. When I took my mil for incontinence assessment I asked if she could have pull ups as over the counter pads were being left everywhere and also my children were able to find them around the house. They asked if she had dementia and I said yes she has been diagnosed with Alzhiemers. And she said in that case she is eligible for pull ups. She gets enough supply to use day and night. We only use 2 a day (morning and night) most times. As she is still able to go to the toilet most of the time.

Anyway it is worth trying to push the district nurses and explain about your problem.
We had been paying for pads over the counter for about 2 years util someone told me to take her to the GP.

Anyway good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
[hi
I got mine in tesco where bin liners are- bright purple colour,lightly scented with lavender,fitted a small kitchen pedal bin being about 24inches high,could put 3-4 wet pads in if need to. Think was a packet of 20 for under £2. Was well worth it
Ros
QUOTE=Adnil;1407314]Thanks Ros, that's all sensible advice. Where do you get the larger scented bathroom bin bags from please? What's the brand name? Many thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi Advil
Checked tesco direct and they have 3 scented bags listed
Tesco own brand 35l capacity £1.80 white bag pink label 15 bags
Tesco own brand 50l capacity £1.80 white bag orange label 15 bags

Seal a pack brand 50l capacity £2.00 pink bags with a flowery pink label

I haven't picked any up since Xmas so may just be they have change packaging
Ros

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Thanks Samantha and Rosnpton for your helpful advice.

Going to speak to the GP today about getting the pull ups on prescription etc.

Off to Mum's tomorrow with scented nappy disposal bags bought on Ebay £1.59 for 200.
Listed on Ebay as 200 Fragranced Baby Nappy Bags Disposable, Hygienic, perfumed, Tie Handles. (Brand is Pretty Cherub.) :)

3 packs Boots Stay Dry Pull up pants in Medium, I originally bought pads but my carer friend said they may well end up down the loo....so took the pads back and bought the pull ups.

3 packs Depend pull up pants in Small-Medium. Tried one on LOL - I can just get one on so guess will be big enough for Mum.

Going to the hospital with Mum on Wednesday. Hoping for the best!

Once more thanks all for the helpful advice with something I knew nothing about. :)

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
hi Adnil
sounds like you have covered most basis
dont forget disposable gloves for yourself ( it is surprising just how far a mucky pad can spread )
wet wipes or moist loo wipes for cleaning pwd-they are easier and softer than loo paper.
handgel
toiletries bag/small rucksack to keep packed ready to grab and go!!!
hope the gp was able to refer you to the local incontinence service
ros
:)
Thanks Samantha and Rosnpton for your helpful advice.

Going to speak to the GP today about getting the pull ups on prescription etc.

Off to Mum's tomorrow with scented nappy disposal bags bought on Ebay £1.59 for 200.
Listed on Ebay as 200 Fragranced Baby Nappy Bags Disposable, Hygienic, perfumed, Tie Handles. (Brand is Pretty Cherub.) :)

3 packs Boots Stay Dry Pull up pants in Medium, I originally bought pads but my carer friend said they may well end up down the loo....so took the pads back and bought the pull ups.

3 packs Depend pull up pants in Small-Medium. Tried one on LOL - I can just get one on so guess will be big enough for Mum.

Going to the hospital with Mum on Wednesday. Hoping for the best!

Once more thanks all for the helpful advice with something I knew nothing about. :)

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
Back from visit to Mum's.

The Boots Stay Dry Medium size pull up pants were a great success for the hospital trip -we weren't at the hospital as long as we expected so she hadn't soiled them.

Although Mum had a panicky tearful episode where she said she couldn't get them down once she was home and needed the loo. She had normal pants on top though - I think she'd forgotten she had the pull-ups on!

I'd bought Depends as well but their S/M size seemed a bit small and much more low cut at the waist than the Boots ones, I don't think I would buy those for her again.

I left the packs of further supplies behind for Mum, along with baby wipes and perfumed bags, for her to use though it remains to be seen whether she will remember to use them or even recall why she has them, when I am not there. She seems to be stuffing her pants with tissues all the time...

Mum has now been referred to local incontinence service but guess that will take time and she will probably say she doesn't need them if they ring to make an appointment with her!! :)

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
At least you got your mum to try them
That is the biggest hurdle.
It may be worth letting the incontinence service know what you tried/ found she could manage
Ros

Back from visit to Mum's.

The Boots Stay Dry Medium size pull up pants were a great success for the hospital trip -we weren't at the hospital as long as we expected so she hadn't soiled them.

Although Mum had a panicky tearful episode where she said she couldn't get them down once she was home and needed the loo. She had normal pants on top though - I think she'd forgotten she had the pull-ups on!

I'd bought Depends as well but their S/M size seemed a bit small and much more low cut at the waist than the Boots ones, I don't think I would buy those for her again.

I left the packs of further supplies behind for Mum, along with baby wipes and perfumed bags, for her to use though it remains to be seen whether she will remember to use them or even recall why she has them, when I am not there. She seems to be stuffing her pants with tissues all the time...

Mum has now been referred to local incontinence service but guess that will take time and she will probably say she doesn't need them if they ring to make an appointment with her!! :)

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
Thank goodness for Boots night time disposable pull ups and disposable gloves, loo roll, baby wipes and a roll of pedal bin liners to put the grotty stuff in. I hate to think how previous generations coped without the disposables and the gloves!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson