FNC Funding Reduced for 2017-2018 (but only by £1.20)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Isn't it all a bit academic anyway? It goes straight to the nursing home -or it did in our case and all the homes I visited - around 14 in total - quoted their fees with the nursing component already deducted.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Isn't it all a bit academic anyway? It goes straight to the nursing home -or it did in our case and all the homes I visited - around 14 in total - quoted their fees with the nursing component already deducted.

I suppose if the FNC is reduced homes may increase their fees to compensate for the lost funding though.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Around here the majority of NH include the FNC as part of the total price. So this decrease will mean a £1.20/week increase in the top up.

Not much but when I had to move Mom last August the FNC had just been increased and the admin person doing the tours said it would mean that the top up would therefore decrease by £40'ish. It did not work out that way as when it came time to sign the contract the total price had been put up by the owner.:(

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Around here the majority of NH include the FNC as part of the total price. So this decrease will mean a £1.20/week increase in the top up.

Not much but when I had to move Mom last August the FNC had just been increased and the admin person doing the tours said it would mean that the top up would therefore decrease by £40'ish. It did not work out that way as when it came time to sign the contract the total price had been put up by the owner.:(

I think this is what I meant Pete. It just gets absorbed into their system.
Whenever I was quoted the cost of the fees and then asked about the deduction of FNC, the response was that it had already been deducted.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I think this is what I meant Pete. It just gets absorbed into their system.
Whenever I was quoted the cost of the fees and then asked about the deduction of FNC, the response was that it had already been deducted.
I am saying that my experience is the opposite. If the FNC had already been absorbed into the NH Mom is in then the top up would not be going up, which it is.

Only one NH I have visited had already deducted the FNC from it's upfront price. It doesn't appear to be the norm in this area.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes,I apologise, I should have left a line space between my sentences as I was addressing different points.

In the first, I was saying that it seemed that if NHs adjust their fees - be it via top-ups or, as in our case as we were then self-funding, by quoting the fee payable as including the discount , then increases and decreases were simply going straight to the homes and being absorbed.

In the second I simply wrote of my own experience which I had seen was different from your's. Maybe the self-funding versus top-ups caused the difference.

I had no dealing with the FNC directly at all either when self-funding nor when the LA stepped in and paid no top-up.
Think I'll bow out now before any further confusion arises!

Last edited: