CHC assessment

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
I've just had a 6 month assessment for funding for my husband. The Head of Care at his nursing home said I was sure to get it, but at the end the nurse assessor said he hadn't gone into the next category and wouldn't get funding. Afterwards, the Head of Care said she was very surprised as the GP was doubling his dose of Quetiapine and they were talking about putting in for one to one care.

My question is who pays for the extra one to one care and what happens if I refuse to pay any more? I've already coughed up £51,000 for 11 months care.

Liz

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
One option if you refuse to pay for the one to one care is the home say they can no longer meet his needs properly and give you/him notice to leave.
I can't see the home doing 1-2-1 free and I'm not aware that there's anyway a self funder can get LA help, I hope I'm wrong.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I assume this was a DST.

Maybe consider an appeal.

Where you present and able to submit evidence at the meeting?

Have you received any details of the scores in the domains?

If you were present do you consider these scores to be consistent with the views expressed in the meeting, I would expect the coordinator to state the score for each domain. If you were present did you record any objection with reason?

On funding you should not be 'coughing up' any money, it should be based on your husband's finances. Has he had an LA financial assessment?

If his condition changes to the extent that one to one care becomes essential this constitutes a major change and warrants a further DST

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
I don't know what a DST is. This assessment was only this afternoon. The nurse assessor at the end said there was not enough change for him to go into the next category. The annoying thing was that I didn't know till afterwards when I spoke to the Head of Care that his anti psychotic was about to be doubled and that they wanted 1 to 1 care. Why didn't the nurse from the NH with me at the assessment say this at the time? She implied that they could cope with his aggression by leaving him alone for an hour or so. If they could cope why do they want 1 to 1 care? Last week he managed to climb into a cot with a frail old lady in it. He's done it before and understandably her relatives are complaining as it's not the first time.

Liz

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I don't know what a DST is. This assessment was only this afternoon. The nurse assessor at the end said there was not enough change for him to go into the next category."

It does not look as if it was a DST

The process is a screening using a checklist
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/213141/NHS-CHC-Checklist-FINAL.doc

Note
11. The individual should be informed that the Checklist is to be completed and should have the process for completion explained to them. The individual and (where appropriate) their representative should be supported to play a full role in the process and should be given an opportunity to contribute their views about their needs. Decisions and rationales should be transparent from the outset.

which can lead to a DST (decision support tool)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/528272/Decision_Support_Tool_Amended.docx

Maybe the nurse assessor (was not enough change for him to go into the next category) was saying that the checklist did not result in scores indicating a full DST should be carried out.

Ask for the detail results of the checklist.

Do your own assessment on the checklist.

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
Thank you for your comments. I didn't mention that the nurse assessor mentioned that her Father-in-law was "like your husband" and didn't get funding. This makes me think her mind was made up before we even started and the assessment merely perfunctory.

Liz

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
My husband did not get CHC but got the nursing element. It took 9 months to get the meeting and I won't bore you with all the issues along the way. I am convinced he should get CHC,but with all that has gone on am tired and weary and have no fight left in me. This I understand is what they bank on, people giving up. I have now paid a company to look at it on my husbands behalf,the cost ? two weeks care. Fingers crossed.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
£51,00 for 11 months NH fees sounds pretty usual so cannot really be said to be unfair but I don't understand why you have been the one paying it. It should have all come from your husband's account rather than your's as Nitram has said.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
I don't know what a DST is. This assessment was only this afternoon. The nurse assessor at the end said there was not enough change for him to go into the next category. The annoying thing was that I didn't know till afterwards when I spoke to the Head of Care that his anti psychotic was about to be doubled and that they wanted 1 to 1 care. Why didn't the nurse from the NH with me at the assessment say this at the time? She implied that they could cope with his aggression by leaving him alone for an hour or so. If they could cope why do they want 1 to 1 care? Last week he managed to climb into a cot with a frail old lady in it. He's done it before and understandably her relatives are complaining as it's not the first time.

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN