Can I ... Should I?

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi Sam and Margi
Found you on here at last!

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the info we used for Dad that I was going to send you, I will sort it out and forward it as soon as possible.

It was lovely to meet you both in Liverpool (lovely pair of nutters) and hope to meet you again soon.

You have mine and Barbs phone numbers (he! he! wonder why;) so if you ever need anything just call and if we can help we will.

Your Mums are so lucky to have such caring daughters but please remember to look after yourselves too.

I love your post Sam, you Margi and Rosy bounce off each other, definately a bond there and it is lovely to read.
Take care xxx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Was that prosecco or Prozac?:D. Could do with one or both, can't sleep...Nippng over to the Wide Awake club next...

Morning RA :D

It was Prosecco, gave up on the spelling, :eek: , although I did think mum couid do with Prozac at times :D , I think I'm more tired or have less energy reserves with this blasted cold

Hope you got some sleep, isn't it awful to be tired but not sleepy :(.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Sam and Margi

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the info we used for Dad that I was going to send you, I will sort it out and forward it as soon as possible.

It was lovely to meet you both in Liverpool (lovely pair of nutters) and hope to meet you again soon.

You have mine and Barbs phone numbers (he! he! wonder why;) so if you ever need anything just call and if we can help we will.

Your Mums are so lucky to have such caring daughters but please remember to look after yourselves too.

I love your post Sam, you Margi and Rosy bounce off each other, definately a bond there and it is lovely to read.
Take care xxx

Morning to the Lovely Liver Birds :D

Hope you loved the flowers, felt it was the least we could do, although maybe a case of Prosecco might have been better (don't make Margi laugh though) :eek:

Margi is swotting for her quiz night, then doing jack knives in anticipation of her holiday, while I'm curtain pole & curtain alterations, so don't stress on the info, just when you have time :).

We loved meeting you both & thank you for taking us under your wing :). Certainly not outsiders with you two around. I might take my dads advice & get a taxi to show me the way if I ever have to do that blasted "loop" again though :D

I must do a Liverpool update, before I forget how to get in a bath one footed, enjoy a wine spritzer face wash or limp 17,000 steps a day!!

:) started this thread to get it out, about fit to burst & no one to let it out to, but I've met you pair of nutters, Margi & Rosy, so I've gained more than I thought I would. It was a spur of the moment suggestion to Rosy to stop for coffee on the trip over, but glad we did as it makes people more "real", Margi is taking her mum on holiday in the UK, so should get to meet Rosy again, while I'm working on a road trip idea with mum to visit friends, so may manage it too :). Meanwhile we have TP ;)

I'm so glad JM managed a quick coffee with us all, putting faces to names & learning a bit about personalities helps understand things better. Some people were very different to my mental images, others very similar :rolleyes: I got you two completely wrong, but pretty spot on for Izzy (her energy & zest for life :) ). I can mentally picture, but not put names, you might have gathered I'm not brilliant with names :eek:. But most of you had met before so only had a few names to learn while we had a dozen. That's my excuse n I'm sticking to it :D

I'll be doing Ireland solo, but it's not so daunting now I've done one & I think it'll be a first meeting for all of us. LadyA is organising it, some "Irish connection" peeps are joining in too :)

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Your a wonderful daughter to your mum, I saw it myself, how caring you are to her x
Am really glad you are going to get some help.

I watched on BBC iPlayer Beti and David. Lost for words.

The lady was fabulous, but made me cry. She only had help at the start of programme for a few hours per week, then found she was entitled to 36 hours per week.

Your lovely mum may even make a new ' friend ' with the extra help ??

Hopefully you can have your well deserved soak too x
Hi Margi29, I watched that last week. What a formidable woman and an honest and moving account I thought. Very sad. Gx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Margi29, I watched that last week. What a formidable woman and an honest and moving account I thought. Very sad. Gx

Ive just sat & watched it, several interruptions as mum put the kettle on, started chatting, but I'm learning to accept those slowly

Don't Scotland do it well :), "Chater of Rights" & looking at a "One Stop Shop", I wish there was one :eek:

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Ive just sat & watched it, several interruptions as mum put the kettle on, started chatting, but I'm learning to accept those slowly

Don't Scotland do it well :), "Chater of Rights" & looking at a "One Stop Shop", I wish there was one :eek:

Yes, I think they are a bit more joined up in Scotland. We were fortunate that our local authority was quite forward thinking and a lot more joined up than most, but the experience of others suggests this to be the exception rather than the rule unfortunately. Hopefully documentaries like this one will help even if in some small way? Here's hoping ;)

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
But to save you reading all through, it's 26-28 September at the River Court Hotel in Kilkenny. NOT restricted to Irish people, or it would be a small gathering indeed! Of course, it may be a small gathering anyway!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Am sure you will all have a fab time x I wish I could come, but me and oh plan on meeting friends in Greece in September so am afraid I can't come over.
Love Ireland, oh family from Dublin and have had such great times and laughed till I cried xx

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Yes, I think they are a bit more joined up in Scotland. We were fortunate that our local authority was quite forward thinking and a lot more joined up than most, but the experience of others suggests this to be the exception rather than the rule unfortunately. Hopefully documentaries like this one will help even if in some small way? Here's hoping ;)

I too hope documentaries like this prompt others to get more help in the future ;)

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi Sam and Margi

Take care xxx

Lovely to hear from you both, I can promise you this, next time I'm in Liverpool I will be ringing you :D you never know, I may be a tour guide for Liverpool ( if I change my job )
Then I can get you lost with me :D:eek: xx

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Morning to the Lovely Liver Birds :D

Hope you loved the flowers, felt it was the least we could do, although maybe a case of Prosecco might have been better (don't make Margi laugh though) :eek:

Margi is swotting for her quiz night, then doing jack knives in anticipation of her holiday, while I'm curtain pole & curtain alterations, so don't stress on the info, just when you have time :).

We loved meeting you both & thank you for taking us under your wing :). Certainly not outsiders with you two around. I might take my dads advice & get a taxi to show me the way if I ever have to do that blasted "loop" again though :D

I must do a Liverpool update, before I forget how to get in a bath one footed, enjoy a wine spritzer face wash or limp 17,000 steps a day!!

:) started this thread to get it out, about fit to burst & no one to let it out to, but I've met you pair of nutters, Margi & Rosy, so I've gained more than I thought I would. It was a spur of the moment suggestion to Rosy to stop for coffee on the trip over, but glad we did as it makes people more "real", Margi is taking her mum on holiday in the UK, so should get to meet Rosy again, while I'm working on a road trip idea with mum to visit friends, so may manage it too :). Meanwhile we have TP ;)

I'm so glad JM managed a quick coffee with us all, putting faces to names & learning a bit about personalities helps understand things better. Some people were very different to my mental images, others very similar :rolleyes: I got you two completely wrong, but pretty spot on for Izzy (her energy & zest for life :) ). I can mentally picture, but not put names, you might have gathered I'm not brilliant with names :eek:. But most of you had met before so only had a few names to learn while we had a dozen. That's my excuse n I'm sticking to it :D

I'll be doing Ireland solo, but it's not so daunting now I've done one & I think it'll be a first meeting for all of us. LadyA is organising it, some "Irish connection" peeps are joining in too :)

Hi Sam

You should have a ball in Ireland, one of the most welcoming places I have ever had the pleasure of, lovely people. Wish I could go but holiday with oh in Greece to meet old friends has already been planned :)

Am going to take mum to Blackpool when warmer weather here, it would be lovely for us all to get together :eek: promise no wine facial :D

I have done the quiz :eek: I will post about that in a bit :D

BK

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
But to save you reading all through, it's 26-28 September at the River Court Hotel in Kilkenny. NOT restricted to Irish people, or it would be a small gathering indeed! Of course, it may be a small gathering anyway!

Hi LadyA :eek:

I didn't mean to imply it was just for the Irish, I was jessing about how everyone was asking if they couid join in as "I'm sure I've got some Irish somewhere" comments were made :)

I must get things sorted & book up :rolleyes:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi LadyA :eek:

I didn't mean to imply it was just for the Irish, I was jessing about how everyone was asking if they couid join in as "I'm sure I've got some Irish somewhere" comments were made :)

I must get things sorted & book up :rolleyes:
No, I didn't think you had implied it! I was just making sure "The Dolly Sisters" ( and if you haven't seen THAT old movie, you should!) knew that they were welcome too!

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Went to mums sheltered housing place today to sit with mum and share a quiz paper.

Mum was delighted I had come, she said how surprised she was I was there ( I had rang twice to remind her ) :rolleyes:

Just before quiz I popped a pile of mums washing in the communal laundry washer, I will return to this :eek:

The little ' clicky ' group were again sat together, but mum had already placed herself with a chair for me at back of room :D

We got coffee and cake, then quiz started.

The quiz that is done is mainly based around events in the 30s, 40s, 50s, with some from 19th century :D twenty questions, mum was warned, don't shout answers out :D

I thought we did quite well, scored 17/20, we actually joined with another resident who had same score :D

But !!!! Low and behold :eek: the quiz master had brought her 12 year old brainiac grandson :eek: surprise surprise he scored 18/20 . I have to admit I think granny helped a bit or grandad who was sat with him :D

Jimmy, the 92 year old winner from before was so cross :eek:

Len a 95 year old was the one who kept forgetting not to shout out the answers :eek:

All in all it was a laugh, and brainiac boy got some money for spends :D

Then I went to check washing, mum had left a tissue or ten :eek: in the pockets of her jeans !!!! As you can imagine, the whole washing full of bits, and the washer :eek:

While I'm rushing to sort as quickly as possible ( had to pick son up from work)
I had a very interesting conversation with a resident I had never seen before, I said I'd never seen her at the quiz???

She informed me that she wouldn't mix with ' that lot ' as they are not very nice to some of the residents :eek:

I asked if she knew mum ??? She said yes, and that she had often had little chats with mum while passing each other. But she confirmed what I thought, very close knit bunch, not really keen on people with dementia :mad:

So me, been me said, " they need to be careful in how they treat people in here, who have dementia, as one day it could be them " the lady agreed :)

I also said I would be keeping a close eye on how my mum was treated by other residents, and just because mum doesn't have a clue she is ignored or some leave her out, it's not nice and reminded me of school bullying.

I love my mum dearly, without dementia she would score 20/20 no problem in any quiz and also notice unkind people :(

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Sam

You should have a ball in Ireland, one of the most welcoming places I have ever had the pleasure of, lovely people. Wish I could go but holiday with oh in Greece to meet old friends has already been planned :)

Am going to take mum to Blackpool when warmer weather here, it would be lovely for us all to get together :eek: promise no wine facial :D

I have done the quiz :eek: I will post about that in a bit :D

BK

Ireland is one of the few places that feels like home :). I was flying over every third week for about 2 years, got searched every time both ways (travel not that way :eek: )

Family presently in Athlone, or might have moved :rolleyes: , all the Donegal ones have gone :( , cousins from that side don't seem to want to know :confused:

If you promise no facial, I will look into it :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56