SS - Duty of Dispare

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
SS - Duty of Despair

Does this sound familiar? A middle aged man decides to become his mum's main full time carer while living in her home. After all assessments are concluded SS suggests home adaptations including 11 support and grab rails in the home. He's told that these can be fitted for his mother for free, but they'd have to wait 6 months for the service. Failing that he could fit them himself. After 10 days he happily reports to SS that he fitted 7 of the 11 rails. The following week, to his surprise, he receives a daunting letter from SS notifying him of a safeguard alert put on his mother due to him not fitting all 11 rails ('security risk').

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Ricci, welcome to TP
There is a convoluted logic in what they say in that the safety assessment says 11 rails, only 7 have been fitted so she's still at risk as all of the risk hasn't gone.
They fail to mention that has noting been done by them for 6 months then the risk would have been far greater, all they can see is that some risk still exists and in some weird way imply that you're the one who has failed to remove the risk so it's your fault.
Personally I'd have put up the important ones then when they made the appointment to fit their ones taken mine down. That way any problems arising form them being incorrectly fitted or positioned would be down to them.
It's odd how doing the right thing ends up as being the wrong thing, welcome to the wonderful world of AZ and the social services:)
K

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Caring for someone with dementia is stressful enough on its own let alone the extra stress that comes with needing to think before we speak and be looking over our shoulder constantly.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Caring for someone with dementia is stressful enough on its own let alone the extra stress that comes with needing to think before we speak and be looking over our shoulder constantly.

Ricci, sounds crazy to me. But I guess they think that because you started the job then their installation team is no longer involved. So perhaps when you told them you had 'only' installed 7 of the 11 grab rails they took that to mean that you weren't going to install the last 4 on their list. I suppose they would then flag that as an 'issue'....keeps them busy I suppose....lots of letter writing....lots of meetings....nobody does anything useful.

As suggested you could try and argue (as someone suggested) that your DIY has substantially reduced the risk compared to their 6 month timeline. But I guess they want those 4 remaining rails done. So I guess you would need an excuse why the last 4 weren't done....broken drill bit....faulty drill....the stress involved....bad back etc etc. Then politely point out that you expect the installation team within 24 hours because of the 'risk'. Shoe is on the other foot then.

But sometimes it's better to remain below the radar. You never know what goes on the database and can be used against you in the future.

But I would politely say that you cannot do the final 4 because of 'technical' reasons and could the 'professionals' finish them. The 'professionals' could also check that the ones you did are suitable. I don't think they would argue about that. Perhaps a telephone call backed up by a letter because then your response would be on record.

To some extent you have to play the system. Problem is that nobody knows how the system works.....especially carers!

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Ricci, sounds crazy to me. But I guess they think that because you started the job then their installation team is no longer involved. So perhaps when you told them you had 'only' installed 7 of the 11 grab rails they took that to mean that you weren't going to install the last 4 on their list. I suppose they would then flag that as an 'issue'....keeps them busy I suppose....lots of letter writing....lots of meetings....nobody does anything useful.

As suggested you could try and argue (as someone suggested) that your DIY has substantially reduced the risk compared to their 6 month timeline. But I guess they want those 4 remaining rails done. So I guess you would need an excuse why the last 4 weren't done....broken drill bit....faulty drill....the stress involved....bad back etc etc. Then politely point out that you expect the installation team within 24 hours because of the 'risk'. Shoe is on the other foot then.

But sometimes it's better to remain below the radar. You never know what goes on the database and can be used against you in the future.

But I would politely say that you cannot do the final 4 because of 'technical' reasons and could the 'professionals' finish them. The 'professionals' could also check that the ones you did are suitable. I don't think they would argue about that. Perhaps a telephone call backed up by a letter because then your response would be on record.

To some extent you have to play the system. Problem is that nobody knows how the system works.....especially carers!
As I wrote, I don't know the people concerned, but I can imagine how the news would have been received due to our first hand experience of being told face to face the day before a multi disciplinary team meeting:
'At least if you consent to having these alarms fitted there'll be less of a chance we'll take your mum away from you tomorrow.'

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
As I wrote, I don't know the people concerned, but I can imagine how the news would have been received due to our first hand experience of being told face to face the day before a multi disciplinary team meeting:
'At least if you consent to having these alarms fitted there'll be less of a chance we'll take your mum away from you tomorrow.'

Ricci, have you got power of attorney for 'health & wellbeing'?....if you haven't and your mum is capable then you need to get it done ASAP. You have to tread very carefully around social workers and the like. If you say or do the wrong thing then you may become 'interesting' to them for all the wrong reasons.

Multi-disciplinary teams I presume happened in a hospital environment. People say things to cover their backs. Take some of it with a pinch of salt. But seen to be doing your side of 'the bargain'. In the 'crazy' scheme of things it may have been better to have let the county council team install the hand rails....although by getting stuck in you have reduced the risk for your mother.

What alarms are those? On the doors to alert when your mum has wandered?

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I see some of the posts were deleted because the county was being discussed. But if someone puts their Location as their county then people will know the county under discussion. Seems a strange reason to delete posts....not that they contained much....from what I briefly saw.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I see some of the posts were deleted because the county was being discussed. But if someone puts their Location as their county then people will know the county under discussion. .

There is a difference between the location of a member and a potential criticism of a county. Terms and Conditions are written for a reason , not for fun.

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Ricci, have you got power of attorney for 'health & wellbeing'?....if you haven't and your mum is capable then you need to get it done ASAP. You have to tread very carefully around social workers and the like. If you say or do the wrong thing then you may become 'interesting' to them for all the wrong reasons.

Multi-disciplinary teams I presume happened in a hospital environment. People say things to cover their backs. Take some of it with a pinch of salt. But seen to be doing your side of 'the bargain'. In the 'crazy' scheme of things it may have been better to have let the county council team install the hand rails....although by getting stuck in you have reduced the risk for your mother.

What alarms are those? On the doors to alert when your mum has wandered?

As mentioned already the hand rail saga was not our saga, but hearsay via an old school friend. Our saga is in my opinion much worse.
We didn't get PoA for anything and as such were subsequently out on a limb. Mum had the diagnosis for one year already and although still lived independently at home alone, on 5th Feb she lost capacity and was admitted with a lung infection that worsened her dementia. The proposed 2 weeks in hosp became 5 weeks (she contracted an additional infection on the ward) and then instead of coming home SS arranged for her to convalesce in a nearby care home proposed for 2 weeks that became 2 months.
Yes, the alarms fitted were attached to the front door frame and around my mum's neck. Both were continually problematic and raised false alarms daily, bringing with them a sense of Orwellian intimidation that on 1 instance involved police being called out who gained access to the home while we were out and 2 instances involving ambulances being called out. Even though, by that time, mum and I had ironically sought our own respite from SS by taking a trip north and mum being checked into a care home there, on SSs approval.
The multi disciplinary team meeting was actually held at council offices while we were still residing in mum's home. I felt I had to consent to the alarms being fitted. Even a friend of mine thought one of them would be a good idea. My mum was disinvited, even though she 'behaved'. Unbeknown to us all the jobsworth participants had agreed to meet 30 minutes before we were called in. Later I learned that all important decisions are made before the vulnerable are allowed in.

Last edited:

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, the alarms fitted were attached to the front door frame and around my mum's neck. Both were continually problematic and raised false alarms daily, bringing with them a sense of Orwellian intimidation that on 1 instance involving police being called out who gained access to the home while we were out and 2 instances involving ambulances being called out.

Surely the ambulances were called and the police only entered the house because they were concerned for your mum's welfare if the alarms were activated, even if it was in error, rather than for some darker intention?

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Surely the ambulances were called and the police only entered the house because they were concerned for your mum's welfare if the alarms were activated, even if it was in error, rather than for some darker intention?

I speculated at the time over the possibility of unlimited resources tax payers must have and remembered:
'Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.' - Napoleon
When the police arrived at the premises neighbours informed them that they'd seen us leave. The police said that had no choice but to gain access regardless. The alarm fitted to the door frame had silently alerted the authorities.
When the pendant raised the alarm on two counts it had been hanging up in the care home office (without my mum being near it) and care home staff had even told the person on the phone at the security firm that my mum was safe, but again they were told that ambulance drivers were obliged to continue to the destination anyway.

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Hi Ricci, welcome to TP
There is a convoluted logic in what they say in that the safety assessment says 11 rails, only 7 have been fitted so she's still at risk as all of the risk hasn't gone.
They fail to mention that has noting been done by them for 6 months then the risk would have been far greater, all they can see is that some risk still exists and in some weird way imply that you're the one who has failed to remove the risk so it's your fault.
Personally I'd have put up the important ones then when they made the appointment to fit their ones taken mine down. That way any problems arising form them being incorrectly fitted or positioned would be down to them.
It's odd how doing the right thing ends up as being the wrong thing, welcome to the wonderful world of AZ and the social services:)
K

What is TP an abbreviation of?
In retrospect we should have left austerity lead GB a few months earlier, but mum took a few months to recover physically sufficiently.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
In retrospect we should have left austerity lead GB a few months earlier, .....

Ricci, not sure I follow the above?

I also didn't realise that at the beginning you were talking about a friend. So I guess your friend has sorted his problem with social services regarding the hand rails?

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
As long as there is no court order, even under a standard DoLS authorisation, it is still an option and not illegal for a vulnerable adult and their carer to flee the country as long as the decision has been arrived at mutually with people known to the relevant person?

Last edited:

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
And as long as the circumstances don't cause undue discomfort or confusion for the demented ?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Does this sound familiar? A middle aged man decides to become his mum's main full time carer while living in her home. After all assessments are concluded SS suggests home adaptations including 11 support and grab rails in the home. He's told that these can be fitted for his mother for free, but they'd have to wait 6 months for the service. Failing that he could fit them himself. After 10 days he happily reports to SS that he fitted 7 of the 11 rails. The following week, to his surprise, he receives a daunting letter from SS notifying him of a safeguard alert put on his mother due to him not fitting all 11 rails ('security risk').

Sounds like they are being a bit sexist possibly here to? Perhaps having a resident "middle aged man" they have worked out you will probably do it yourself if they leave it long enough and save them the time and the cost. As a "middle aged woman" I got fairly repad help for Dad. Perhaps I looked the stereo typical useless female in the DIY department- sometimes it helps ;):D

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
As long as there is no court orfer, even under a standard DoLS authorization, it is still an option and not illegal for a vulnerable adult and their carer to flee the country as long as the decision has been arrived at mutually with people known to the relevant person?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about DoLS to answer your question.

Are you wanting to leave the U.K. with a person who is under a DoLS authorisation?

Why do you need to "flee the country"?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
As this thread is raising issues of some concern, it might be a good idea to contact the Alzheimer's Society helpline, where they can be dealt with person to person and appropriate advice given.

You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Helpline opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
There is a difference between the location of a member and a potential criticism of a county. Terms and Conditions are written for a reason , not for fun.
Those who have time to rant leisurely about SS are privileged. For parents who've been threatened with their kids being taken away, or children threatened with their parents being taken away there must be equanimity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124