Dealing with dementia and depression

Carl2000

Jan 10, 2017
Hi All

I have a farther with the early stages of dementia. Vascular dementia was diagnosed after a stroke. From that day onward his partner and myself are learning as we go on, this forum has been a good source of knowledge.

He has developed depression as the days have passed and seems to be struggling with pulling himself out of it. I understand this is partly as he feels he’s loosing control.

With the depression he’s then refusing some of the products available to help him cope with the issues that come with dementia.

The GP has prescribed anti depression meds. These don’t seem to be helping. The recent memory-accessing nurse has suggested we go back and ask for a change in anti depressants. Is it normal that people in the early stages of dementia to need medication for depression? If so did they help?

Any other way you were able to help them through depression?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband had medication for depression throughtout the progression of his dementia. The medication had to be managed and monitored as his dementia progressed.

It was never a solution , it just kept the worst symptoms at bay.

alibali2016

Jan 24, 2017
Hi All

I have a farther with the early stages of dementia. Vascular dementia was diagnosed after a stroke. From that day onward his partner and myself are learning as we go on, this forum has been a good source of knowledge.

He has developed depression as the days have passed and seems to be struggling with pulling himself out of it. I understand this is partly as he feels he’s loosing control.

With the depression he’s then refusing some of the products available to help him cope with the issues that come with dementia.

The GP has prescribed anti depression meds. These don’t seem to be helping. The recent memory-accessing nurse has suggested we go back and ask for a change in anti depressants. Is it normal that people in the early stages of dementia to need medication for depression? If so did they help?

In early stages the drugs didn't help my Dad, just led to more confusion. Now that he is classified as late stages of dementia, he is on anti - depressants to help him sleep at night