memory clinic

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
mum sees the consultant this week at the memory clinic, she's had a ct scan which her gp suggested showed vascular/ ischaemic and other things. what can we expect from the appointment, anything I should ask or beware of? Thankyou

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning. I hope your appointment goes well.

My experience of a memory clinic was in relation to my husband's Alzheimer's. My mum had vascular dementia but was never asked to go to a memory clinic. In my husband's case the main reason for his attendance was so that he could be prescribed medication and then his progress/decline monitored. He was always given the MMSE test. This is the mini mental state exam.

http://www.dementiatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MiniMentalStateExamination.pdf

I was given a questionnaire which gave me multiple choice questions on how he was managing in different areas of life and asked about his mood etc. Prior to the appointments I always wrote down anything which was concerning me or I wanted to ask about. I often handed this in a few days before the appointment so that I didn't always have to talk about certain things in front of my husband.

These visits were some time ago and in relation to Alzheimer's. Others may have different experiences.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
When I took my dad he had a huge test, the Addenbrooke's test (think I spelt it right?)

He met a psychiatrist who did the test, and then was given the test results a few days later and his report.

He was asked to go for a brain scan, but sadly he never went and kept refusing.

He was not given any medication at the time as my dad was in denial.

Hopefully you will also get medication to slow down the progression.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
When I took my dad he had a huge test, the Addenbrooke's test (think I spelt it right?)

He met a psychiatrist who did the test, and then was given the test results a few days later and his report.

He was asked to go for a brain scan, but sadly he never went and kept refusing.

He was not given any medication at the time as my dad was in denial.

Hopefully you will also get medication to slow down the progression.

thankyou, does your dad still see the consultant and get medicine? mum has had a ct scan and sees the consultant next.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
Good morning. I hope your appointment goes well.

My experience of a memory clinic was in relation to my husband's Alzheimer's. My mum had vascular dementia but was never asked to go to a memory clinic. In my husband's case the main reason for his attendance was so that he could be prescribed medication and then his progress/decline monitored. He was always given the MMSE test. This is the mini mental state exam.

http://www.dementiatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MiniMentalStateExamination.pdf

I was given a questionnaire which gave me multiple choice questions on how he was managing in different areas of life and asked about his mood etc. Prior to the appointments I always wrote down anything which was concerning me or I wanted to ask about. I often handed this in a few days before the appointment so that I didn't always have to talk about certain things in front of my husband.

These visits were some time ago and in relation to Alzheimer's. Others may have different experiences.

thankyou, mums will see a consultant too, she's had memory tests and scan already, the appointment is in our usual surgery building.

Last edited:

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
mum sees the consultant this week at the memory clinic, she's had a ct scan which her gp suggested showed vascular/ ischaemic and other things. what can we expect from the appointment, anything I should ask or beware of? Thankyou

Hi Peter :)

By the time my dad got his appointmnet at the memory clinic it was already fairly obvious that he was unwell with Lewy Bodies Dementia, and so I suppose the consultant didn't see the point of making him do a test to confirm anything about his illness. However, the consultant was invaluable in stopping SS from allowing my dad to go home from the safe safe environment of a NH, something that SS thought would be a good idea.

The clinic has also been able to prescribe some medication to ease my dad's anxiety and help prevent the violent episodes he was suffering from, they have been monitoring him and so far we have been 4 times in just over 5 weeks. In our case the memory clinic has been a God send and I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been referred there.

I hope you too have a good experience and the appointment goes well x Good luck !

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
Hi Peter :)

By the time my dad got his appointmnet at the memory clinic it was already fairly obvious that he was unwell with Lewy Bodies Dementia, and so I suppose the consultant didn't see the point of making him do a test to confirm anything about his illness. However, the consultant was invaluable in stopping SS from allowing my dad to go home from the safe safe environment of a NH, something that SS thought would be a good idea.

The clinic has also been able to prescribe some medication to ease my dad's anxiety and help prevent the violent episodes he was suffering from, they have been monitoring him and so far we have been 4 times in just over 5 weeks. In our case the memory clinic has been a God send and I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been referred there.

I hope you too have a good experience and the appointment goes well x Good luck !

thankyou, I take mum there on weds.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
thankyou, does your dad still see the consultant and get medicine? mum has had a ct scan and sees the consultant next.

Hi no seen them once, then again 6 months later when he declined a lot further, he got sectioned in the end, then was given medication, which helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
Hi no seen them once, then again 6 months later when he declined a lot further, he got sectioned in the end, then was given medication, which helped a lot.

thankyou, glad the medicine helped, they may prescribe something for mum too.

Last edited:

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
My dad suffered bad hallucinations as he advanced and the hospital gave him the medication to try and stabilize him, it worked miracles in that sense, it completely stopped them. I wish you the best of luck x