Dad not sleeping well

Frecks

Dec 2, 2016
Hi all...I am in the process of moving into dads and was there today sorting things ready for my things to go in. A lot of which is going into storage to begin with.

Anyhow while I was there dad was with me the whole time enjoying my company as my brother was decorating his hallway. I asked dad if he was ok and is he having any effects from his meds...he said he felt fine but he isn't sleeping. He is laying there for hours before sleeping then awake at 4am, he was like this before the meds as I remember him telling me the morning we got his diagnosis.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips of anything herbal we could give dad to help him sleep better as he really is bothered by it or would he need something from his GP to help him. My brother and I agreed to let the nurse know from the memory clinic when she calls me in the next week, prescribing of his meds will then be over to his GP as long as she is satisfied dad is doing ok on them.

His appetite is good and we are making sure his diet is well balanced with fresh veg and fruit included as he does not cook anything now.

Once im living there I will be able to monitor him so much better, when I called him today before I arrived I thought he sounded down but he insisted he was ok but as I was there I kept asking and thats when he mentioned the sleeping problem. I told him my brother and I will look into it and come up with something that may help. As I was going he said when am I going to see you again...bless him he is so looking forward to me being there everyday and so am I.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Frecks
you mention an appointment/contact with the CPN and that you will mention your dad's lack of sleep with her; I think that's the way to go - maybe even ask her about herbal or over-the-counter meds, as some may not go well with any prescribed meds your dad is on - and some may make him drowsy still on waking, which could be a falls risk
maybe ask too about a couple of paracetomol just before he goes to bed, sometimes that can help with settling to sleep
as he needs monitoring in the night, check that you have applied for the higher rate of Attendance Allowance
and don't forget that council tax for him will continue to be disregarded, so you will be charged at the rate for a single person
best wishes

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi, It may be that Dad is actually sleeping more than he thinks, They do reckon that most of us sleep for more hours than we realise. Mention that Dad seems depressed too, as it may be that he needs some extra medication.
Good Luck with the move.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Be careful about herbal meds, especially if your father is taking any anti depressant. Against everyone's advice including friends on here and even the no, no advice on the packet, I tried Nytol did not go well with anti depressants, although I think they helped mum sleep, at the beginning of the evening and just after taking, my mum became very confused and a little disorientated. It is possible that your father is taking a lot of naps during the day when he is alone and once you are there, you will be able to hopefully stop this. Sleep medication is a bit of a minefield, some that work well usually have unwanted side effects. I used to give a warm bowl of porridge or rice pudding about an hour before going to bed. It worked and settled her, but unfortunately throughout the evening she wanted to go to toilet. At the moment and with some success we are using Bachs flower essence-rescue night, I did talk to gp about this and he could see nothing wrong with trying it, but not to expect too much. Talk to gp, chemist and nurses, keep notes, there may be a pattern to it all and you could discover that something is setting off the sleepless behaviour, then again you could simply find that it is all down to the Dementia and know that elderly people sleep less anyway-which would be fine if Dementia was not in the mix.

Frecks

Dec 2, 2016
Thanks all for your replies. I was under the impression that we can't claim council tax help untill AA is being claimed. AA claim form has been sent in so awaiting result from that.

Dad does not nap in the day at all...he goes for a walk in the morning and has visitors more days than not and my brother has been there all week decorating. Very rare dad will nap or doze off in the day which is a good thing considering. Its approx 1am when he gets to sleeps and up at 4am sometimes earlier....will be discussing with the CPN.

Thanks again :)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi again Frecks
just a quick thought - I spray the textiles in my dad's bedroom with a lavender botanics spray from a well known chemist - I've no real evidence that it helps but I feel that it does - I also keep the lighting low towards bedtime and play soothing music (dad's favourite is jazz so I play MJQ) - and when he was at home, I used to get him into pjs at a certain time as a signal that bedtime was close - I found a clear routine helped him settle

Frecks

Dec 2, 2016
Thanks Shedrech I think that's a good idea about lavender spray :) I spoke to CPN today and she said its ok to try herbal remedy and we have decided if it doesn't improve his sleep then will go to his GP about it but we thought try the natural way first.

CPN has now transfered prescribing over to his GP so she will write to them informing of this and if I ever need to speak to her regarding dad about any worries etc I can call her....she is a lovely lady :)

Thanks again for all your help everyone...much appreciated

Frecks

Dec 2, 2016
Be careful about herbal meds, especially if your father is taking any anti depressant. Against everyone's advice including friends on here and even the no, no advice on the packet, I tried Nytol did not go well with anti depressants, although I think they helped mum sleep, at the beginning of the evening and just after taking, my mum became very confused and a little disorientated. It is possible that your father is taking a lot of naps during the day when he is alone and once you are there, you will be able to hopefully stop this. Sleep medication is a bit of a minefield, some that work well usually have unwanted side effects. I used to give a warm bowl of porridge or rice pudding about an hour before going to bed. It worked and settled her, but unfortunately throughout the evening she wanted to go to toilet. At the moment and with some success we are using Bachs flower essence-rescue night, I did talk to gp about this and he could see nothing wrong with trying it, but not to expect too much. Talk to gp, chemist and nurses, keep notes, there may be a pattern to it all and you could discover that something is setting off the sleepless behaviour, then again you could simply find that it is all down to the Dementia and know that elderly people sleep less anyway-which would be fine if Dementia was not in the mix.

Hi Tin sorry been at work today so unable to reply much earlier....dad is only on Donepezil and not on anti-depressants as yet. Thanks for your reply :)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I was also going to suggest the lavender, and talking to the GP/nurse/clinic, and trying the paracetamol at night in case there is a pain issue, and seeing for yourself, and keeping notes on, what your dad's sleep patterns are like. But they all beat me to it!

My mother also wasn't able to accurately self-report about her sleeping (or eating, or anything else). When she was in hospital she swore she never slept a wink, but as the staff checked her and made chart notes every fifteen minutes, I knew otherwise!

It's possible that once you are there, you will be able to help with establishing and sticking to a routine, that will help your dad sleep more. For everyone's sake, I hope so!

Very best wishes to you and your family.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Hi Frecs,

Hoping you will find a solution to the sleepless nights

My dad has vascular dementia and up within an hour of going to bed, sometimes 7 or more times a night, no idea of time of day i.e. 1am and that 1am is night
Memory clinic say they do not recommend any meds, GP well I've asked 101 times for help and given nothing so still battling with no or broken sleep and that's just me '

Dad takes 2 paracetamol and 1 amitriptylene before bed which do absolutely nothing so look forward to hearing how anything you try works.
It's 0043 dad up tv blaring , 4hrs after going to bed. Sitting in chair eaten a whole packet of sweets, made his bed wondering why nobody is making him food

Frecks

Dec 2, 2016
Will do worrier....going to get dad some lavender spray and possibly kalms or Nytol this weekend so will see how he gets on with that for starters.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Bless you Worrier...so hard to function on no or broken sleep :(

Last night I was woken by tv blaring at 1215. Rushed downstairs to turn down. 1am same again. This went on. Eventually dad said he was cold. I said why not get in bed. He said good idea
I am so tired nothing makes him sleep