It's Happened - I've Accused Someone of Stealing Something I Mislaid

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I feel so so stupid this morning. Relieved but stupid.

Every day I go to work in my powerchair with a backpack hung on the back. In that backpack I keep my lunch, my wallet, kindle, house keys and some medical bits and bobs and other stuff I might need on a day to day basis.

Every morning when I arrive at work I take this backpack off the back of my chair and put it on the floor behind my desk. When I finish work I pack my stuff away and put the bag back on the back of my chair and go home. Except on Tuesdays when I get the train to Sheffield for college instead of going home.

So what? You may ask.

Well.... Last night I got off the train at Sheffield and found my bag was missing. I went back to the train and asked the conductor if it was where I'd been but no it wasn't. I was advised to report it as stolen to the station supervisor who then called the police. An officer came and took some details and said he'd check the CCTV at Rotherham, Meadowhall and Sheffield.

With my house keys and my wallet being in my bag I was worried and a friend of mine drove some 35 miles to my home in case someone decided to pay a visit before I returned there. I also cancelled my credit cards and de-registered my kindle but was upset over the loss of some sentimental things I keep in there from my partner that can't be replaced. I was also going to arrange to have my locks changed at home.

Then this morning I've come to work and my bag and everything in it is on the floor behind my desk, in its usual spot.

So I feel very very stupid right now.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning Danonwheels

My grandmother reported her car stolen, claimed on the insurance & bought a new one. A few months later, the police called to say they had found her car, in a car park. It had been there for a few months!

She'd mixed up which car park she'd used :eek:

To err is human

Sam

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
They say confession is good for the soul, Dan. You've just confessed to thousands of people on TP you've made a mistake. Guess what, so do we all.

Very good wishes to you and I hope you're enjoying your freedom to get about and go to college.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
I went for a short walk along the sea wall with my relations over the holiday. Four adults two children and a dog. My brother waked down a slipway with one of the children to give the rest of us some photo opportunities, leaving his backpack hanging on a six foot fence post. When that little episode had finished we all set off again leaving the bag a few feet behind us. Back at the car park his missus asks my brother where the bag is? Oops! Luckily the car keys were in his pocket so we we could take the children and the dog home while brother trotted the mile or so back along the sea wall to get the bag back, which fortunately was still where he had left it. You'd think perhaps with four adults present at least one of us would have noticed the bag was missing. I suppose we were all concentrating on the children and the dog and the bag being behind us was as good as invisible.

So, just a story of everyday forgetfulness really. At least in your case you didn't accuse anyone in particular, so you are not paranoid and no resentment was generated.

I believe armrest bags are available for some powered chairs, which although smaller at least would be in front of you and perhaps you wouldn't need to take them off as they wouldn't get in other people's way so much. Might be worth looking into.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Thanks. I don't feel so bad now. Calling the police to cancel the report was painful though, teh copper I spoke to was laughing while I explained to him what had happened and thanked me for letting them know so they wouldn't need to investigate a non-existent crime. Apparently it's quite common but not everyone calls them back to let them know.

Cringe!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I would think too Dan, that this is something anyone could have done! About 25 years ago - so when I was still only about 30 - I took my young daughter to town one morning, we did our shopping, went to a cafe for a treat, and then went home. When we were home, I realised - I had actually driven to town!! I had left the car in town in a car park, and walked all the way home! So we then had to walk all the way back to get the car! :D :D

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
About 10 years ago, we were waiting at the Toronto airport to take a flight (to England, as it happens). I went to the toilet, with my passport in my hand (don't ask me why, I have no idea). Naturally, the toilet was a hike from where we were sitting. I got back to my husband and suddenly realized I didn't have my passport. I raced back to the toilet and I found my passport sitting on top of the toilet roll container, where I had set it down. Big sigh of relief!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Absolutely anyone!!! I once reported to the police that someone had entered my flat while I was out and the cheeky sod had helped themselves to food from my fridge and drank some wine. After making the phone call I went into my Spare bedroom to put something away and there I found someone fast asleep in the bed suddenly remembered that a week before I had offered accommodation to a friend visiting from America, told her where spare key was and to help herself to anything. Jet lagged, she went to bed. I call it my Goldilocks moment. So embarrassed when the police turned up to investigate and of course they frowned on a spare key being hidden under a flower pot at the front door, apparently the first place any would be thief would look.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
they frowned on a spare key being hidden under a flower pot at the front door, apparently the first place any would be thief would look.

Ooh yes. I have a spare key in a keysafe by my front door and am glad I do as it allowed me to get into my home last night.

Thanks - I'm glad it's not just me and I'm not feeling quite so stupid now.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
It's just weird how it works isn't it? I was absolutely convinced I had my bag with me when I got on the train. I even "remembered" checking it was there on my way to the station - I had this whole story in my mind about how I'd passed some people and was worried one of them might have taken it so I felt behind for it.

Bizarre.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's just weird how it works isn't it? I was absolutely convinced I had my bag with me when I got on the train. I even "remembered" checking it was there on my way to the station - I had this whole story in my mind about how I'd passed some people and was worried one of them might have taken it so I felt behind for it.

Bizarre.

That's probably because you always have your bag when you get on the train, and you usually check that it's there on the way to the station? It could be that your brain took old memories to make them fit the reality that the bag was not where you expected it to be. - Or maybe you had indeed passed some people who made you feel uneasy? When my house was burgled, I could see that someone had been in when I got home - but my mind did not want to accept it. I stood there with my mind trying to convince myself that I had somehow left all the bedroom doors open, and had emptied drawers out myself!

Anyway, no need to worry about it anymore!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Passports, keys, mobile phones, iPad, TV remote - anything important I have managed to mislay numerous times. I wander around with them in my hand, put them down somewhere and immediately forget where. Just yesterday I rang my mobile phone twice just to locate it!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Happy Birthday Dan <3 IMG_0350.JPGIMG_0350.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojosbakes