My dear wife.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What an apt and wonderful quote for us all Gringo.

Thinking of you both and wishing you many special moments together. I know you will treasure every one of them.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This is so very poignant Gringo.

We all need reminding to treasure the moments.

A wonderful quote. Also the last line of Larkin's 'An Arundel Tomb' comes to mind:

What will survive of us is love.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Sending love to you both. The love you share is something special.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh Gringo - so much for you and your dear with to cope with. I know you will treasure the special moments you have together xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
So now your time together becomes even more precious.
I do hope your darling girl can respond well to the medication and that you can have some more quality time to share.
Love and prayers to and for you both.x.x.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Like grains of sand falling through an hour-glass, the days and weeks run away, each grain diminishes us.
Dementia and cancer march steadily on, each making it’s presence felt in it’s own way. If this were a race I don’t know which would be the winner, but I know, too well, who will be the loser, and I can only sit and watch and, at times, weep for her. Such communication, as we now have, is mainly through expression and tone, meaningful words are long gone. What we now have is a jumble of words and half-words, half-sung to the tune of ‘Bless them all’. Yes, well, I am so glad it’s not ‘i’m a pink tooth brush.’
But there! I am forgetting touch. At times, just holding hands can, I think and hope, give great comfort in both directions.

When at dementia’s door you weep,
And plumb the depth of your despair.
When darkness settles round you,
And you cannot see your way.
When you look about for help.
And find you’re on your own.
When you live alone in silence.
And that silent scream is yours.
When time seems at a standstill,
And each moment lasts an age.
When you want to re-live yesterday,
And would give away today.
When you’ve nearly cut and run,
And betrayed your marriage vow.
Take heart; though now you doubt it.
Of all things it can be said,
This too shall pass.

I’m not sure about the last three lines.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Like grains of sand falling through an hour-glass, the days and weeks run away, each grain diminishes us.
Dementia and cancer march steadily on, each making it’s presence felt in it’s own way. If this were a race I don’t know which would be the winner, but I know, too well, who will be the loser, and I can only sit and watch and, at times, weep for her. Such communication, as we now have, is mainly through expression and tone, meaningful words are long gone. What we now have is a jumble of words and half-words, half-sung to the tune of ‘Bless them all’. Yes, well, I am so glad it’s not ‘i’m a pink tooth brush.’
But there! I am forgetting touch. At times, just holding hands can, I think and hope, give great comfort in both directions.

When at dementia’s door you weep,
And plumb the depth of your despair.
When darkness settles round you,
And you cannot see your way.
When you look about for help.
And find you’re on your own.
When you live alone in silence.
And that silent scream is yours.
When time seems at a standstill,
And each moment lasts an age.
When you want to re-live yesterday,
And would give away today.
When you’ve nearly cut and run,
And betrayed your marriage vow.
Take heart; though now you doubt it.
Of all things it can be said,
This too shall pass.

I’m not sure about the last three lines.

Such a sad and eloquent post gringo. My thoughts are with you both.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Mike, holding hands can say so much. They offer comfort and perhaps a connection to something familiar. Think back to when your Wife was well; I bet there were times when you sat in silence-maybe holding hands-there was no need for words-you were two people comfortable with each other. Try to remember that as you sit and watch. I do know how difficult it can be......

Love,

Lyn T XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Your post is beautiful Gringo.

Holding hands meant so much to me and Bill. I held his hand right up to the very end and wish I could hold it now.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Your post is beautiful Gringo.

Holding hands meant so much to me and Bill. I held his hand right up to the very end and wish I could hold it now.

Dear Gringo. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope your wife is comfortable and I know that she will be feel you holding her hand and taking great comfort from it. Bless you both. My love to you.xxxxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
It's the only way to console my dad , the nurses have watched us and do the same when he is agitated and upset.
It's a connection they understand. X

Tattoo Lane

Jun 28, 2016
Devon UK
Sending so much love to you Gringo . This is so unfair, so dreadfully sad. This place is so supportive, and there are so many lovely, genuine people who completely understand your pain and sadness and will be here to support you. Love to you and your lovely wife. Keep holding her hand, love always shines through the darkest times ,and your love for your wife is something beautiful for you and her to treasure.xxxxxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thinking of you and your beloved wife, l try so hard to think of all the happy times before Alzheimers came along, we do not deserve to suffer this awful disease, everyday it brakes our hearts. Keep holding hands, that is the only communication that l have with my husband. Sending you much love

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Once this was the happiest time of the year for us. But not now. I am often ashamed of myself and my ‘bah! humbug!’. I find it best to keep a low profile and keep out of peoples way. I find this quite easy, Something about my demeanour makes folk cross the road to avoid me.
I think it’s a given that dementia care is easier if a routine can be established and followed. And routine is an early casualty at this time of the year and, in my opinion, PWD and carer alike suffer because of it.
Several really trying days and sleepless nights made me pen these lines. To all who are under the hammer, at this time, I can recommend an attempt to put one’s thoughts down on paper. It’s called catharsis I believe, and it usually works for me, although it only offers temporary relief.

As my dear wife slowly descends to her hell,
I make sure she is wearing clean clothes,
And I lie, saying how well she is looking.
Feeling like Canute, as the dementia tide rolls in.

Whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth.
But I see that her hair is well-brushed.
And I lie, saying that she’s never looked better.
Watching like Canute, as the cancer tide floods in.

No gentle rain of mercy droppeth here.
I do all that I can, which doesn’t add up to a lot.
And I lie through my teeth, saying all will be well.
Helpless, like Canute, as the merciless tides surge in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojosbakes