Worlds First dementia friendly Hospital (So very close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Update From Hospital as promised............ STUNNING NEWS !! ..

Just back from meeting with (Names deleted) (Senior Dementia lead and A+E Matron in Torbay general Acute Hospital and have some great news. As we walked around the hospital it was wonderful to see ALL ACUTE wards and other areas of the hospital displaying the Purple Angel on the doors as you entered telling all visitors that all staff had undergone dementia training as mentioned in last post. They also informed me that at least FOUR AND A HALF THOUSAND staff of the 6 and a half thousand that work there have now completed this work !!!!

WE ARE SO NEARLY THERE DEAR FRIENDS !! SO CLOSE

So close to being the Worlds FIRST General ACUTE Dementia friendly Hospital !!!

The other good news is that ALL NEW staff will now undergo the same PA training as the join the hospital so we MISS NOBODY in the future , THIS IS SO IMPORTANT for continuity and for the future, we needed to make sure this work carried on. To say i am HAPPY is an understatement.

Sometimes it feels as if we have been doing this for years, sometimes it feels like we are getting nowhere, but sometimes, on days like this, it feels SO WORTHWHILE !!!!

Yours, a VERY Happy Founder of the Global Purple Angel dementia campaign, Norrms xxxx

If you would like to become a PA ambassador plz myself

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
yesssssssssss!!!!!! brilliant Norms. after my fun and games at a zero dementia aware hospital (despite the fact that they have apparently been working on it for 12 years?????), it is so refreshing and uplifting to hear that somewhere we are almost there.

Keep up the fight mate.

Wayne

Safiya

Sep 2, 2016
But what does dementia friendly mean?

I don't understand just what this dementia friendly phrase is supposed to mean? Is this Purple angel training an accredited training body or does this training encompass a cup of tea and signing off on something? We throw words around that mean nothing on paper but can give patients and carers a false sense of security.

Can anyone explain what this training actually entails, how many hours, updates, what certificates do people get?

Saffie

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Safiya (there is another Saffie on here so used your user name to avoid confusion) , there are many different aspects to the work of the Purple Angel organisation. May I suggest you spend some time reading their website and looking at the links? In particular the link to the work in hospitals. There are also some very useful downloads. The main site is http://www.purpleangel-global.com/index.html

I am sure once you have familiarised yourself with the basics, Norm or others will willingly explain further. There has been a lot of time and dedication that has gone into this which I am sure you will see as you read through ☺

Sent from my SM-G361F using Talking Point mobile app

Last edited:

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you Celia, yes there ism far far more to it than just a cup of tea lol (Where do these people get there info from ??LOL) sorry you have been mislead Safyie , please go website and haver a good look the training involves a RCN videos, dementia materials, training by Dementia matrons, people with dementia and so much more by decated people more, any more questions please fell free to ask at the hospitals xxxxxxxxxxx

Safiya

Sep 2, 2016
Thank you for your answers, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, and yes, I have looked at the website and it didn't answer any of the questions I posed. Where is the information about the work in hospitals (and that Lifebook costs 3600 quid, seriously?)

I've seen lots of fluff about Purple Angel but nothing actually concrete. I am asking WHAT is the actual accreditation obtained by the hospital and what does it actually mean, WHAT licensed body does the training, HOW much training is there (qualitative and quantitative), WHAT qualifications do staff actually achieve, HOW is the efficacy of the training monitored in the interim, HOW often is the training upgraded, HOW is it incorporated into new staff inductions etc.

I've seen lots of ideals, but nothing actually concrete about what it means for an institution to be dementia friendly? Just posting questions people, trying to understand what it means.

Saffie

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hello Safiya

Could you clarify a few points please so that we can give you accurate information?

Where have you seen that a "Lifebook costs 3600 quid "?

Your profile is quite limited and you are fairly new to the site (as in registered/posting) and it is not clear what country you are in. As you will be aware from your search of the website, Purple Angel is international so the information on its activities will vary although the underlying core principles remain the same.

It's good that you are interested to find out more about Purple Angel - have you had involvement with anyone or any place that has worked with the scheme?

I am sure, once we have a little more clarifying information, then we will be able to give you appropriate and accurate information.

Thanks

Celia

Last edited:

Safiya

Sep 2, 2016
Hi Celia

Thanks for your response, the information on the website is unclear so was just after some basic answers as to how it works and accreditation involved as per the opening post about training. Are you involved with this group, do you know where this information is on the website? My father is currently in care in a place that could do with a lot of dementia knowledge, not just awareness.

The Lifebook sounded amazing when I clicked through but I thought it very expensive. I can't post a link yet but if you go to the Lifebook UK website and click on Products and then Autobiographies and scroll down, you'll find there are two options for either £3600 and £5400.

Thanks Celia,

Saffie

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Morning so good to see you on here, same old same old i see lol lol

The lifebook thats on the Purple Angel site is quite clearly FREE for all until dec 31st and thats good enough for everybody else,
got to go and enjopy my day, hope you do the same xxxxxxxxxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
You can copy and post a link but put spaces in the text so it no longer is a link. From a quick Google I wonder if you are looking at the "Lifebook" which is a laptop computer? Thats about right for the prices.

Safiya

Sep 2, 2016
Pardon Norm, I have no idea what you are talking about?

Celia, no it is indeed the Lifebook as advertised on the Purple Angel website you posted. The link is www . lifebookuk . com / ordering-section /

Or just go the Lifebook website itself, click on 'Products' and then click on 'Autobiographries'.

You''ll see the prices about a third of the way down, six instalments of £600 or full price £3600 or six instalments of £900 or full price of £5400.

Thanks Celia,

Saffie

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Safiya - just a quick reply as I am about to head out. I hadn't been interested in reading further about the "Lifebook" because my Mum died last year and probably wouldn't have been interested or able to participate. However, thank you for the link. This is just a side issue to what the Purple Angel work is and is posted as it may be of interest to some. As I understand it, it is assistance with and editing /publishing of an autobiography (presumably of the person with dementia) and the timescales you mention relate to time paid for and input to complete. I am not really au fait with publishing costs but I have 2 friends who are authors so will ask them. At a quick glance it doesn't seem unreasonable.

However, I think that the actual work of the Purple Angel group is well detailed in the website and in the various downloads. I am not directly involved but have seen this scheme develop from its early days and also discussed it's use both with a care agency and the very good Care Home Mum was in. They found the information and resources provided very helpful.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
It would be really helpful if someone could please explain what the 'Purple Angel' actually is. Now in 2016? The PR surrounding 'Purple Angel' gives the impression it is a fundraising entity; an awareness raising campaign/movement; and several commerial start up business enterprises. Very confusing, especially when questions are not answered and there is an atmosphere of defensiveness when questions are asked - implicating that the enquirers are trolls.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Safiya (there is another Saffie on here so used your user name to avoid confusion) , there are many different aspects to the work of the Purple Angel organisation. May I suggest you spend some time reading their website and looking at the links? In particular the link to the work in hospitals. There are also some very useful downloads. The main site is http://www.purpleangel-global.com/index.html

I am sure once you have familiarised yourself with the basics, Norm or others will willingly explain further. There has been a lot of time and dedication that has gone into this which I am sure you will see as you read through ☺

Hi CeliaW, I thought the Purple Angel was a ‘grass-routes movement’, but I note that you describe it as an ‘Organisation’.

The co-founder of the Purple Angel describes it as a ‘Charity’ and I have read lots of articles on the internet describing it as a charity.

On the website you suggest we go to for clarification of the Purple Angels' ‘work', the Purple Angel is described as a ‘Dementia Campaign’ (at base of each page).

I hope that helps expain why I ask my question. Is it a grass-routes movement, a dementia campaign, an organisation, a charity, or a group of commercial enterprises?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Is it a grass-routes movement, a dementia campaign, an organisation, a charity, or a group of commercial enterprises?

Well according to their website "We are not a registered charity" (first link).
It does not ask for or take any money it asks for you to contribute to "common" charities (AZ related) although the only specifies one.
There appears to be some issues if you read down the page it says
"On 28th March 2014 Norman McNamara made this announcement on social media
Important Message!!!!
(i) It is with heavy heart i write this but due to circumstances beyond our control we at Purple Angel Dementia awareness group (Jane and i) have decided to sever ALL ties with Purple Angel.org."
Without doubt Norrms has been doing a lot of valuable work to raise awareness and actually make things happen not just talking and flying round the world to conferences.
I've no idea what the story is but it seems like a complicated one with no real winners.
My reading of the situation is that Norrms is a grass roots campaigner and the organisation is pie in the sky, or caviar as they're business class. But that's just my interpretation of what is freely available to read on line.
K

http://www.purpleangel.org.uk/blog/?cat=19

Status
Not open for further replies.