Gifts for care home staff

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Mum has been in a lovely care home since April - I have no idea what to give the staff at Christmas. The home is very well staffed so we are talking 10-20 carers overall. What do people usually do in this situation? Last Christmas Mum was still at home with only a few carers so I gave them all individual presents. Any ideas?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I usually give them a BIG box of chocolates.
Chocolate is always good when youve had a stressful day and with a box everyone can dig in.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
This will be Dad's 3rd Christmas in his care home. First 2 Christmas' I took in a tin of chocolates. Last year the home received a lot of chocs which were distributed across the home.This year I have bought inexpensive shortbread biscuit boxes for each department as they all contribute to Dad's overall care, directly and indirectly as I have got to know staff in all areas now and want to acknowledge and thank them myself especially as for instance night staff often do dads personal care as he is a night wanderer and its about catching dad at the right compliant time. So day staff, night staff, laundry and housekeeping, kitchen, front of house ie manager, handyman, admin.I bought the biscuits on offer a few weeks ago so total cost around £10.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Thank you all - I had thought about chocs or biscuits but the staff all seem to be on diets!!

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Well what about some diet stuff

What about a large bag of individual packets of stevia rather than sugar flavoured sweets. Some of those chocolate sachets.

Lets face it most of the staff won't have much money and its helpful to give them what they might actually like.

My son who works with adults with challenging behaviour was given a six pack of beer. He enjoyed that very very much - but I'm not suggesting that makes a good present.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I used to make up a festive hamper containing various blends of tea including fruit teas, various types of flavoured powdered coffee sachets and assortments of snacks so they could all use them in the staff room. I also included a few bottles of white, red and rose wine which all went down well.

xxTinaT

barny

Jan 20, 2006
Herts
How about a tube of hand cream as they have to wash their hands often. Or maybe a large basket of fruit to share.

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
We usually give hand cream or something similar. Don't think you can go wrong with toiletries.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Anyone ...How about hospital staff ? Nurses and Healthcares?
They've looked after my dad over 3months .

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
To mums named carer I gave a bottle of wine, to the " house" mum lived in, I gave a box of celebrations chocs and a box of biscuits

Every year

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Pretty tin/box/basket and fill with the individual servings of hot drink sachets, the various hot chocolate 'treat' drinks- Malteser, various 'Options' sachets, Think there are white choc ones,

A yummy treat

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of this at all :eek:

I do make sure to thank staff at every opportunity, and I have nominated people for the 'employee of the month' scheme, recently introduced by a new manager.

Do most people give gifts, I wonder? :confused: You've got me thinking now.......

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of this at all :eek:

I do make sure to thank staff at every opportunity, and I have nominated people for the 'employee of the month' scheme, recently introduced by a new manager.

Do most people give gifts, I wonder? :confused: You've got me thinking now.......

Me too. There seem to be a lot of different carers rather than one particular one for Rob. And there are always strangers, who I assume are agency staff..And yes, a lot seem to be on a diet...Not sure about hand cream for the male carers either.

They have a board with mugshots of their team...there must be at least thirty.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The last year my mother was in a home I went the easy (for me because I was outside the country) route and got M & S to deliver a enormous basket of fruit and a mixed case of wine, with the delivery timed for their staff party. But TBH that was because I relied on them to do a lot more than I would have if I had been in the country. I don't think you have to go to that level of expense normally. I think a fruit basket is always acceptable. Or homemade biscuits/sweets. I really don't think you have to go overboard because I really do think it's the thought that counts in these situations.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Yesterday I settled for two big boxes of nice chocs, tied together with a big bow and a THANKYOU message from my husband and me. The easy option.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Last xmas when mum was in hospital, I gave the staff an empty box filled with packs of M&S Percy Pigs - they were very excited! it seems everyone loves M&S Percy Pigs! They said how nice it was, and that it made a welcome change from chocolates.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
I am glad I read this post. Will get my Percy pigs today. That is the way to go. As you rightly say,Percy Pigs is just perfect,everyone loves Percy pigs,chocolate can get too much at Christmas .

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What I did and am doing again this year, is giving 5 4.6 lb tins of shortbread to the home. 2 tins go to the unit Mum was on and I split the other 3 up for housekeeping, admin, kitchen, laundry etc. I started doing this years ago and it was always very popular.

Mum died this August and I am doing it again but don't know how much longer I will continue to do so. I'll simply have to see how I feel at the time.

Must try Percy Pigs next time I'm in the UK - they sound delightful.