Stopping Mail Shots

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Any one know who I need to contact to stop the begging charity letters addressed to my mum now she has died

In the past I just ignored them, but today I received 3

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`d just put them in the recycle bin 2jays. They will stop eventually.

You could `return to sender` if you were particularly annoyed.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Not annoyed as such....

Been away for a week
After the first 3 days of, seemingly, constant reminders,

songs we used at the funeral,

watching horse race on telly and a horse had a spelling of mums very unusual name, so it sounds like her name when said out loud

Another few songs from my childhood from an obscure record my father gave me

To name just 3 out of many more....

Once I "accepted" that it should be positive memories and not painful ones, I could stop my eyes leaking

Then home to these 3 charity letters and an email from solicitor regarding estate....

Just sort of knocked me rather hard...

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I make a point of phoning and telling them the person is deceased. I had to do this regarding my FIL because my MIL found it quite distressing. Telling them this usually is enough to stop them.

I mean to say, I called the charity directly. I always do that when I want to stop these sorts of letters.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
They don't stop though. My mum used to get very upset by these constantly arriving for such a long time after my dad died. I finally told her to write "Deceased. Return to sender." on them and send them back. Some of them, I took and contacted the charity involved, and contacted them and asked them to remove my dad's contact details from their data base as he was deceased, so it was just costing them money sending stuff out. I simply didn't mention that mum was still living at the address!

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I registered here - www.mpsonline.org.uk/

Its the Mail Preference Service similar to the Telephone Preference Service for phone calls, and should stop most of the unsolicited mail. It may take a bit of time to filter through but definately stopped most of what I was receiving after a while.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I registered here - www.mpsonline.org.uk/

Its the Mail Preference Service similar to the Telephone Preference Service for phone calls, and should stop most of the unsolicited mail. It may take a bit of time to filter through but definately stopped most of what I was receiving after a while.

Won't let me register, but thanks

Shall just post them back if I can be bothered.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I used to scrawl DEAD....not deceased.
Then I would sometimes add.....stop making me cry.

Sometimes I'd put ...change of address c/o Heaven...

.....but usually i'd just put DEAD.

I figured that if they made me sad, I'd spoil their day too...... Yes I know, petty.:rolleyes:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I used to scrawl DEAD....not deceased.
Then I would sometimes add.....stop making me cry.

Sometimes I'd put ...change of address c/o Heaven...

.....but usually i'd just put DEAD.

I figured that if they made me sad, I'd spoil their day too...... Yes I know, petty.:rolleyes:

You've always been my kind of girl :D :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was getting an an awful lot forwarded to me, and sent them all back, removing my address and writing Moved on them.

this did cut it down alot, however, I now get the some of them addressed to me, from fairly small charities, I don't know if a bank sold my details when I registered POA, but this does really irritate me.

I know mum used to gift small amounts to different ones, changing them each year and she moaned about them forever sending her stuff afterwards so never gifting to those ones again!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Nearly 11 years ago we moved, the previous owners had moved, she had dementia. However, he didn't inform anyone. I got letters from a well known insurance company for about 5 years, in spite of sending them back, saying moved, no forwarding address.
And don't get me started on Christmas cards. Eventually one came which looked like it had a letter in it, so I opened it and sent it back, saying the addressees had moved 6 years previously!
Lesson, leave your forwarding address, or make sure you contact everybody!

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
My mother got/gets a great deal of junk mail. When I forwarded her mail to me when she moved into care home, I'd go to the website of each sender, and fill out the "Contact" form requesting to be removed from the mailing list, including customer code or anything else on the catalog or whatever to identify her. This slowed the torrent quite a bit.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
If you put "unsolicited mail" & post it back, they pay postage (plus admin charge £1ish) & it seems to work

Whoever us not allowed to send unsolicited mail, so they have to remove you from their lists

My brother did this for about 3 months & now gets almost no junk / begging mail

I've been doing it for dad for a while

(I also have been known to write "dead" on it too)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
And don't get me started on Christmas cards. Eventually one came which looked like it had a letter in it, so I opened it and sent it back, saying the addressees had moved 6 years previously!

We moved into our current house in 1995, we still get at least one Christmas card for the previous owners. I work with them so just take it into work. It is a cousin they see regularly that knows where they live but hasn't updated their address book. We also got a phonecall in about September time, when they went to visit the previous owner's mother (she was in a CH now in a EMI wing - Vas D) and she had moved to the other home. We just passed on the correct landline no. They said enough detail for us to know it was genuine as to who they said they were, may even be the same cousin.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
No answer re. mail shots 2Jays but wanted to say sorry for the loss of your Mum. I'm not on TP so much and can't keep abreast of all that happen so well but I know what a struggle you had and know that you always did the best by your Mum. Love Sue:)xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
No answer re. mail shots 2Jays but wanted to say sorry for the loss of your Mum. I'm not on TP so much and can't keep abreast of all that happen so well but I know what a struggle you had and know that you always did the best by your Mum. Love Sue:)xx

Thank you Sue. Leaking eyes now, but a warm feeling xxx