Financial minefield

wellyd33

Dec 8, 2016
My father in law was hospitalised this time last year as he hadn't been taking his medication for Parkinsons as he kept forgetting. After a long stay in hospital he was diagnosed with Parkinsons related dementia and placed into a nursing home fully funded with council and NHS funding. However once in the nursing home and the new concoction of medication started to take effect he was re assessed, on a good day for him, and deemed no longer eligible for the NHS funding. At this time the family were asked to consider third party contribution to keep him at the nursing home he is in, which has been done since. Power of Attorney is now in place. He continues to deteriorate with the physical aspects of his parkinsons, he can no longer feed himself or walk and is sleeping more and more incoherent. Frustratingly the assessment does not appear to take into account his physical affects of parkinsons in relation to his ability to look after himself and take care of himself. He has to have a break from the anti-psychotic drugs as well at regular intervals where he rapidly deteriorates into hallucinations and what can only be described as his own world. His last financial assessment left a short fall of £600 per month in his care. He has money in savings but we have been told he cannot use those to pay for his care and we will have to continue to pay the third party contribution. He wasn't the money spent on his care and would be horrified that his family are paying for his care when his money sits there. Can anyone give any advice on this and the assessment process?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi annerledouglas and welcome to TP,

Can you say how much in savings your Father has?

:)

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
You need to appeal against the judgement

See prof Luke Clements video on social law

And remember...a well managed need is still a need.

Take away the management of your fathers needs, what do you have...someone who needs lots of care.

I think you e been done down.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Anne, welcome to TP
You refer to "NHS funding" is this Continuing Health Care (CHC) funding he's been getting or NHS Funded Nursing Care? And it may make a difference if he's in England, NI, Wales or Scotland to the answers.
K

wellyd33

Dec 8, 2016
Hi Anne, welcome to TP
You refer to "NHS funding" is this Continuing Health Care (CHC) funding he's been getting or NHS Funded Nursing Care? And it may make a difference if he's in England, NI, Wales or Scotland to the answers.
K

Hi I believe it was NHS funding. All he gets now is council funding. We are in Scotland so it is different up here but he is based in England.

wellyd33

Dec 8, 2016
You need to appeal against the judgement

See prof Luke Clements video on social law

And remember...a well managed need is still a need.

Take away the management of your fathers needs, what do you have...someone who needs lots of care.

I think you e been done down.

Thank you. I cannot believe that they don't appear to acknowledge that the Parkinson's is a degenerative disease that he will not improve or recover from . The dementia as well is all related to the Parkinson. We will have o push for a reassessment. Frustratingly we were not advised of the last assessment done by an NHS representative for the funding so had no input.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi He has just under £20,000.
Then unfortunately he cannot use this money to help pay for his care.:(

Full NHS funding is known as "CHC". If this is what has stopped he should still be receiving from the NHS £156/week called "FNC". This is normally paid direct to the NH. Some NH take this off the total cost some do not.

How did the LA come to the amount they are willing to pay and therefore you end up with the £600 top up?

The Local Authority have to be able to provide you with details of at least one NH that they will fund completely, with no top up, that is able to meet your FiL needs. Have they done this? If not ask them to do so. If they can find one that can cope with what seems to me very complex needs then you can consider moving him there. If you do not think it suitable then the cost of that home should be the amount the LA are paying.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The original post says "the family were asked to consider third party contribution to keep him at the nursing home he is in" so the implication is the home he's in is over the LA rate is the way I read it.
K

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
The original post says "the family were asked to consider third party contribution to keep him at the nursing home he is in" so the implication is the home he's in is over the LA rate is the way I read it.K
Maybe and I hope you are right but you really do have to have an immense trust in the way an LA does business to it take as read that they have fulfilled their obligations.;)

wellyd33

Dec 8, 2016
Then unfortunately he cannot use this money to help pay for his care.:(

Full NHS funding is known as "CHC". If this is what has stopped he should still be receiving from the NHS £156/week called "FNC". This is normally paid direct to the NH. Some NH take this off the total cost some do not.

How did the LA come to the amount they are willing to pay and therefore you end up with the £600 top up?

The Local Authority have to be able to provide you with details of at least one NH that they will fund completely, with no top up, that is able to meet your FiL needs. Have they done this? If not ask them to do so. If they can find one that can cope with what seems to me very complex needs then you can consider moving him there. If you do not think it suitable then the cost of that home should be the amount the LA are paying.

Hi Pete R

He receives £205 per week from the LA and all his pension including a private pension go into paying for his care. I would have to check about the NH within his range. The NH he is in is approx £911 per week. When he left hospital this was by all accounts the only one within reasonable travel distance available to be able to care for him. However we have been looking at more local NH to his home town and hope that we may be able to move him. With not being able to use his funds to help with his care we are going to have to as a payment of an extra £600 per month is not sustainable. When he first came out of hospital he was fully funded as his parkinsons and dementia warranted full care. Unfortunately the assessment of him was done without us being notified and it was only because we received a letter advising that he no longer qualified for full NHS funding that we knew anything about this.

wellyd33

Dec 8, 2016
The original post says "the family were asked to consider third party contribution to keep him at the nursing home he is in" so the implication is the home he's in is over the LA rate is the way I read it.
K

Hi

Yes it must be above the LA rate. We are currently looking at alternatives as an extra payment of £600 per month is not sustainable. His Parkinson s has deteriorated quite drastically in the last 6 months and he needs help walking and feeding so we need him closer to his home town where he can have more visitors to help him

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
He continues to deteriorate with the physical aspects of his parkinsons, he can no longer feed himself or walk and is sleeping more and more incoherent. Frustratingly the assessment does not appear to take into account his physical affects of parkinsons in relation to his ability to look after himself and take care of himself. He has to have a break from the anti-psychotic drugs as well at regular intervals where he rapidly deteriorates into hallucinations and what can only be described as his own world.

You could appeal the withdrawal of CHC funding. There is a thread dedicated to CHC funding which you might find useful. You would need to emphasise the complexity of his condition and how different aspects of it interact on others. I would have thought you had a good chance of winning, especially if the control of his medication is problematic.

Sorry I am having problems with my PC or I'd give you the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
When he left hospital this was by all accounts the only one within reasonable travel distance available to be able to care for him.
The LA are still obliged to provide you with details of a home that they will fund that can meet his needs.
:)