Taking mum away

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Next weekend is a big birthday for me and to celebrate I have rented a cottage for a long weekend. My daughters, their husbands, my grandson and my mum are coming with DH & me. Mum (very little short term memory) lives in a bungalow so I have rented a cottage with a bedroom & bathroom on the ground floor. Does anyone have any advice how I can make sure mum feels comfortable? She knows who we all are so that isn't an issue. She doesn't leave her house unless she is with me. Just a bit worried that she will be disorientated

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I didn't know you are taking your mum away for your big birthday bash Jenny. I'm keeping our hotel booking open until the last minute in case C gets disoriented at the thought of Dorchester next week. For what it's worth I'm certainly planning to take kylie sheets and bin bags for laundry in case of accidents. Hope you get some good advice and the family are prepared to be patient with your mum.
Sorry, not being very helpful. All the best for your weekend, Rob

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Only thing I can think of is that it might be a better idea for someone to share her bedroom, if not possible then to take a child monitor, disorientation will probably be during the night and can be more stressful. Hope all goes well and you have a great time.

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
My Mum is in a care home and I'm taking her on holiday next week for the second time. I slept in the same bedroom so she didn't get confused in the night!
I have kylie sheets and lots of pads and pants!! Depends at what stage your Mum is at? All I know is when I spoke to the care home manager she said - go for it. Who knows if you will get another chance.
Make the most of it and breath it in and remember. Have a really lovely time and make lots of new memories x

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
I didn't know you are taking your mum away for your big birthday bash Jenny. I'm keeping our hotel booking open until the last minute in case C gets disoriented at the thought of Dorchester next week. For what it's worth I'm certainly planning to take kylie sheets and bin bags for laundry in case of accidents. Hope you get some good advice and the family are prepared to be patient with your mum.
Sorry, not being very helpful. All the best for your weekend, Rob

Thanks, Rob! My family are brilliant with mum,

Hope all goes well and C & you have a great time in Dorset!!!

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Only thing I can think of is that it might be a better idea for someone to share her bedroom, if not possible then to take a child monitor, disorientation will probably be during the night and can be more stressful. Hope all goes well and you have a great time.

Thanks, Tin. Good advice x

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
My Mum is in a care home and I'm taking her on holiday next week for the second time. I slept in the same bedroom so she didn't get confused in the night!
I have kylie sheets and lots of pads and pants!! Depends at what stage your Mum is at? All I know is when I spoke to the care home manager she said - go for it. Who knows if you will get another chance.
Make the most of it and breath it in and remember. Have a really lovely time and make lots of new memories x

Thank you!
Mum lives at home, with help. No incontinence issues yet.
Yes, I want new, good, memories.
xxx

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
We had a fabulous weekend. Mum coped ok.
This is the fabulous cake my elder girlie made me (every last bit hand made)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1479207740201.jpg
    FB_IMG_1479207740201.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 380

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Jenny , I'm so sorry I missed sending you birthday wishes but I hope you had a lovely time . I'm so glad your mum was able to help you celebrate . I'm sure it wouldn't have been the same without her . Best wishes to you both . Lou xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t know how I missed this. :eek:

It`s so good to hear your weekend away with mum and the family was so successful.

The cake is a work of art. A very belated Happy Birthday. :)

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hi Jenny , I'm so sorry I missed sending you birthday wishes but I hope you had a lovely time . I'm so glad your mum was able to help you celebrate . I'm sure it wouldn't have been the same without her . Best wishes to you both . Lou xx

Thanks, Lou!