So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, slugsta, already on two meds for sinus problems. I think what has happened is that I used to have sinusitis all year round with peaks for pollen, etc. Now the background allergens have gone-OH smoked a pipe and we have a wood fire- the spikes of pollen and dust etc are that much worse. It's never been so bad as this year. I think it started about 20 years ago when I had a lot of dried plant material to sort. It took three months! All the while I must have sensitising myself to the dust, or probably a certain size of dust. Will have a chat with gp before next summer! The weather hasn't helped either! It's nearly 1:00 am and I'm sitting in the living room bathed in a light sheen of sweat! Rain tomorrow, I'll be bathed in something different then!

Amy, I don't know what we would do without our garden centres with a cafe in them! Funnily enough I was trying to remember when then became common earlier this evening. Many of the smaller ones dont have them, but practically all the bigger ones do. Brings the customers in, I suppose. Many have good access for people who can't walk very well as a bonus. I'm lucky in that I live in a holiday area, so there are a lot of cafes around! I have my favourites, mostly easy access, but with a friendly manageress/owner. I managed to go to one last week and forgot to take my purse! Just had to go back two days later!
Right, will go back to bed and try to sleep!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Spamar - is it worth looking at one of those Dyson fans, which are supposed to be quiet so you don't wake through the noise? Hugely expensive for what they are but if they work...??
Slugsta -- :eek: Maybe it's the UTI making her wee more?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning,

Good news on the one day off from the physio, Spamar - not so good on the misery from the hay fever/allergies :( Last night was again realy humid here, I slept (or tried to!) with no covers and the ceiling fan whirling at top speed. I thought yesterday evening, that we were in for a good old thunder storm, the sky had that gorgeous dark blue 'storm light', but no - it just stayed hot and oppressive. This morning it does feel a little fresher and is overcast, but its still unusually warm for this time of year.

I love 'mooching' round a good garden centre, Amy, and there are a lot in this area - but we have one that is quite near to us, Chester way, called the Grosvenor which is especially fabulous (though it can also be a little bit on the expensive side!) This one sells not only plants and general gardening equipment and furniture, but also a lot of other 'nice things' - candles, organic jams (jelly, I think you call them), books, lovely bits and bobs for the home, it has an aquarium and at Christmas, a huge area there is turned into the most amazing sort of grotto, absolutely beautiful - we like to go just to look, even if we are not buying (though we usually end up doing that too :eek: ). Mil used to love going to places like that, though like Slugsta's Mum, it eventually got to the stage where it was just the cafe and the cake that she showed any interest in. It sounds like you and OH are working hard to get your Mum's new abode sorted for her - I hope you are able to overcome the issues with fitting the essentials into a smaller space. When Mil moved here, obviously there wasn't room for most of her furniture, but I struggled to know what I should keep or throw of the 'small stufff' - ornaments, keepsakes, her collection of china plates, ect. At the moment, they are all packed into two 4-drawer storage units, plus a couple of very large plastic storage boxes, and in what will be my office. They will have to be moved - but I have no idea where to at the moment. For some reason, I am not comfortable with the idea of just getting rid of them - I have no idea what, if anything, they would mean to Mil now, but they are things that she must have collected and kept for a reason, and it feels wrong just to throw away or donate them to a charity shop.

Slugsta, I think that I need to follow your advice, especially over the first few months when I'm settling into the job and there is so much to do. Things will ease - at least I hope they will - when we get Mil settled somewhere, and I've also had stern words with the rest of the household about pulling their weight - the trouble with being 'at home' for the last 3 years is that I've fallen into the habit of doing the bulk of the household jobs and its now just 'accepted' that 'Mum will do it'. That will have to change!

Katrine is probably right about the liquid capacity of the pull ups - it varies so much, and when I was buying them for Mil, some brands were MUCH better than others. I was able to tell the clinic that Mil needed 'super-absorbency' (which she definitely did at night) but even then, as I believe is often the case, the ones the clinic supplied were not always up to the job and still left us with some nights when Mil managed to 'flood' the bed :( I would speak to the continence nurse asap, if only to ask for high absobency pull ups on your Mum's order. I'd also be pretty fed up over the washing machine not being turned on - for goodness sake, surely common sense would have told the carer that it needed doing? Not good :( Red has a good point about a UTI maybe making the incontinence worse at the moment - mil always had far more 'accidents' when she had that sort of infection.

And talking of washing, I'm not happy with what happened when we visited Mil yesterday, as regards her washing! OH and I had decided to go see her just after 4pm, but just as we were leaving, I got a phone call re the job and it lasted about 35 minutes (it was very helpful, so I'm definitely not complaining!). Once it was over, we never stopped to consider the time, just headed down and it wasn't till we were let into the ward that it struck us that we had arrived just as tea was being served. We apologised profusely, were assured it was OK and that they would set Mil up with a table in the 'lounge' area, so we could stay with her while she was eating. That was really nice of the staff and we did appreciate it. However . . . as Mil was tucking into her sausage and mash, one of the staff walked over with one of the 'laundry' plastic carrier bads, and dumping it at my feet, announced it was Mil's washing and walked away. It wasn't sealed in any way at all and the smell of stale urine was awful - and there was poor Mil, eating :mad: I was fuming - I know OH had a point when he said that it was our fault that we had arrived at such a busy time and that it was probably just an 'oversight' on the part of the staff, but personally, I really didn't think that was acceptable at all :( I rather obviously made a point of tying up the handles of the bag to try and seal it - though I honestly don't think that the staff concerned even noticed!

Aside from that, poor Mil wasn't in a good place at all - she was already tearful when we went in, whispering something about 'Its not the daughter, its the mother that does it' (?) - hard to catch what she was trying to tell us as she was very paranoid that the 'bosses' might overhear what she was saying and was speaking so quietly. Once again, there was something about her sending off 'the stuff to enroll in college' - but again, she was clearly worried about that issue too, though we couldn't work out why :( She jumped through several abrupt changes of conversation, with no apparent link of subject between one sentence and the next, but everything she said was something she was worried or upset about. It didn't help that some of the other patients were also entering sundowning time, and that two ladies in particular kept coming over - one determined to take Mil's tissues or (for some reason) pulling at the fabric of the dress I was wearing, and the other repeatedly coming over and quite belligerently asking a variety of nonsensical (to us) questions, interrupting Mil or us speaking, and both ladies were really ticking Mil off. For once there was no 'Isn't it time you went?' comments, and we were able to stay for about 45 minutes - however, we had a lot of upset when we tried to leave, with Mil pleading couldn't we take her and 'drop her off at 'S*** and Ann's house, please?' and her insisting that she didn't want to stay 'here', she was going 'home'. When the second lady came over to again interrupt at this point, Mil told her to 'go away' (in no uncertain terms!) and that sparked her starting to get quite cross. It took us about 10 minutes, and OH having to firmly tell her that she had to stay (so her medication could be sorted by the doctor, an explanation she usually accepts) and us basically walking away as she was still calling out to us - really not nice and quite upsetting :(

It was a sad day for us anyway, as news came that a chap that OH has supported off and on for years had passed away. We knew he was very ill, OH had visited him in hospital, and his death was expected - but he was such a character, very lovable and it left us both (because I knew him quite well too) feeling a bit down.

I had planned on today being my first 'full' day off since starting work - I am contracted for just 28 hours pw - but some of the planning and stuff I did yesterday has left me waiting on a couple of emails that I'll have to keep an eye open for, and deal with if they arrive. One of the things that I absolutely have to do is sort out regular days 'working' and days 'off' and stick to them - it would be very easy to find myself working at least part of every day in the week if I'm not careful! At the moment, my plan is to work 4 x 7 hour days a week, from either Mon to Thurs, or Tues to Fri - its a routine that I absolutely need to get into asap!

Hope you all have as good a day as is possible :) xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've lots to say and not enough time to ty0pe it all.

Amy - as Ann describes most garden centres not only have a cafe, but large quantities of other items for sale, effectively a series of small mainly craft shops, Grosvenor which Ann mentions is near me and I think very very big. In many cases the actual plant bit is now an add on to everything else. There is one very good plant one near me, which does have a cafe, but none of the other shops, and it's plan area is very big with many of them grown on site. I have certainly being going to garden centre cafes on my bike since before the kids were born - so in the 90s. One client with a garden centre is opening a cafe to include a menu aimed at cyclists.

You seem to be progressing your mum's room move, I hadn't realised it would take so long to sort out. :(

Slugsta, nothing to say to help you. Not sure if I've commented on the raptor trip, sad when concentration levels drop but we do need to aim things at their 'new' level all the time. Kids play snakes and ladders that they have grown out of with my mum.

Grace - you are doing really really well - don't overdo it. I think the physio will be shocked at your progress. Hope in laws and MIL are not troubling you.

Spamar - not sure what you take for sinuses - I use a steroid spray in my nose daily and it is fab, I used to take it in the morning, but I started snoring a few weeks ago and have used it as I went to bed since, which cured the snoring. I have hayfever/allergy triggered asthma and your breathing issues may be this - worth a GP/asthma nurse appt? Even if it is short term in the heat that you use an inhaler. I always get a tight chest when i get in the parked car at the station on a hot summers day which I know is asthma related (I think I inherited asthma off my mum but she isn't diagnosed - and as only certain situations trigger it not obvious).

Ann - your job updates sound fab, hope you are coping. I think you need to log your hours carefully otherwise you will end up doing full time for part time pay, so maybe allow an hour on your day off for email checking and work 6 hours on another day. I agree that maybe you need to collect laundry without visiting some days. I know the washing is irritating but sometimes letting the small stuff which you are unlikely to change go will be easier. I hope you manage to start looking at some homes soon. I am thinking you want any prn medicine to have been proved to work before MIL is moved though. I have always tried to get kids to help as whilst I work part time with all the cycling I do it just wouldn't happen otherwise.

Meanwhile - think I didn't mention that dau was off sick last Friday, we think related to her low iron, we had hoped the chronic exhaustion had passed, but getting up earlier with school routine and not having time to have a nap after cycling int he evening have taken their toll. We are wondering if she is on a high enough dose of iron (currently on 400mg) so have had a phone appt with GP and blood test ordered, but as she is under 16 this can't be done same day at GPs but has to be at our local hospital. As she is at school nearly an hour from hospital the first late pm appt is next Wed. Think I didn't post before as trying to process it all in my head.

PS cat walked across keyboard and deleted post - but as I regularly 'copy' part way through typing to prevent losing posts I could restore it

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I regularly 'copy' part way through typing to prevent losing posts"

No need to do this, replies are autosaved at regular intervals.

To get lost post back start again and wait for the 'retrieve' message to pop up at bottom left of screen, then just click on it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
This works when I have clicked stay log in on phone, but not when I get logged out as I have deliberately not clicked stay log in on home computer.

No idea what cat did as he took me back several pages.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning (it's not often I say that!),

Ann, I'm sorry that your visit to MIL was not great on several levels! I would also have been fuming about the washing :mad: It must be so hard to walk away when she is calling out for you, much easier when she is telling you to go!

I think you are right about getting into a routine of working so that you protect your days off. Don't forget that admin, checking emails etc still count as work too!

Thanks everyone for your input. As usual, I have had more help here than from the 'professionals'! I am going to see if I can persuade Mum to wear the pull-ups that I ordered in error. The actual pad is huge, she will look as if she has just got off a horse!, but I might be able to sell her on the idea 'just while you have this infection'. Part of the problem is that she doesn't seem to feel any embarrassment about being wet, so I can't work on that angle.

I tried the Continence Nurses just after 9am. Spoke to a different lady who was adamant that they won't supply pull-ups. I said that the order has been done, all I want today is advice about how to manage the current situation. She suggested I go on-online, look at the 'Tena' site and order some samples!! :mad:

Have also tried to ring Adult Services, Admiral Nurses and Alzheimers help-line. Every one of these had a message saying that they were very busy and I should try another time or leave a message (which would be answered 'within 48 hours'). So I'm feeling pretty fed-up. I guess it's the first time I have had an issue that I can't fix on my own. How much worse must this be for people who are caring 24/7 and/or do not have the background knowledge of anatomy/physiology and 'the system' that I do?!

Mum has a dental appointment this morning.It's the third appointment we have made, so I'm hoping it will be 'third time lucky'! And that she doesn't leave the waiting room chairs wet . . .

Talking about Garden Centres, we have about 6 within a short drive of home. As far as the cafe and extras are concerned, I would say that 2 are very good, 2 are so-so and the other 2 we don't really visit as they don't have much other than plants. There are also many that are just that bit further away, the one we visited on Wednesday took less than 30 minutes to reach. One of them always has a great Christmas display, complete with live reindeer, and Mum and I have visited for a few years. Last year I got OH to drive, as it is a bit to far for me, but Mum really wasn't interested. I won't mention it this year unless she does.

Sorry, this has been very 'me me me' :eek: Am thinking of you all and sending lots of (((hugs))).

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
JM, thats a pain about having to wait and the travel to a hospital to get the blood test done for your daughter - I hope it just takes a tweak on the dosage to help her feel better, though xxx I've dropped a couple of tactful and gentle hints about the washing at the hospital - if they would just separate off the wet stuff (and try not to give me other patients wet stuff to wash, while they are at it!) I wouldn't mind at all - its just when I have been given up to two large, full bags, with 'wet' and just ordinary washing mixed up, everything gets damp, everything is impregnated with the smell and before I can sort it, I have to do one or two loads at 30 degree's, just to ensure that I don't have the smell lingering and building up in the house, before separating colours and hot washes out to do at the proper temps. Its the only way I can figure to avoid the lingering odour, but its obviously adding to the time it takes as well as using more electricity and detergent. As for yesterday - to dump an open bag of urine soaked and smelling washing by a table, as someone is eating, just struck me as being bang out of order. If it had been properly sealed, it wouldn't have been an issue :(

If I get timed out when posting, I can usually just click 'back', then I copy what I have written, log back in and paste. However, as I've said, I'm having issues with it taking ages to reload pages, and if that happens and I get a 'timed out message', then clicking back doesn't work and I lose everything. I tend to 'preview' before posting (as then I tend to spot at least most of any typo's) and I have mostly got into the habit of 'copying' what I have written before I do that, to try and avoid the 'timed out message'.

Could the continence nurse you spoke to have been any more unhelpful, do you think, Slugsta? I so feel for you - I swear that a large percentage of the stress carers feel is caused by jobworths, unhelpful or non-existent support and the constant being 'passed round' because no one can actually help when you ask for it :(

Yep, you guys are right, I need to make sure that I 'protect' my time off - in fact, during induction the managers all advised us to make sure that we do this, to be fair. This week, I've counted the induction hours (not sure about the 6 hours plus travelling, so I haven't counted that), which added up to about 14 hours, plus 2 hours spent writing up notes at the hotel, 5 hours on notes and some research on Wednesday and a good 7 hours yesterday, not counting the lengthy phone call - so am just over with hours this week - however, as I said, if the responses I am looking out for arrive today, it will be another hour or two dealing with them. Its to my benefit to put in a few extra hours while I am finding my feet, and I don't mind it - but obviously, its not a habit I want to get into long term if i can avoid it.

Just been and stocked up on toiletries for Mil - asked the last couple of times if she needs anything, but each time promised that they will check and let me know and heard nothing. The corridor down to the bedrooms is locked during the day, as are the bedrooms, and when the staff are so busy, it feels like an imposition to ask them if they can leave what they are doing to come with me and open up successive doors so I can check for myself. So I figured if I just get what I think she might need, well at least she won't run out. The last few washes have contained the bottoms from one pair of pj's, the top from another - and no sign of the rest of the sets or the other two pairs she also should have with her, so am now debating do I need to go out and buy her a couple more sets? Or is it worth it when they may well go missing or when the others may well turn up :confused:

Just to add - you know I mentioned that I 'preview' to check typo's? - Just as well - 'cos I've just spotted that I had referred to the 'continence nurse' as the 'incontinent nurse' when I first typed it :D

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
For all we know, that Continence Nurse IS incontinent. The one Slugsta spoke to on the phone certainly sounded incompetent!!

I had a Google of your garden centre, Ann, and I want to go there! A cafe with proper food and wine and I'm sold! We definitely haven't anything like that in our area, but it would be a huge draw if we did. As I said, there are a few I've been to in the States that are similar, but it's not a "thing" here, more's the pity.

I did find the reference to the books, Slugsta, but admit I only glanced at it. I'll have a proper look later. How was the dentist appointment? Sorry you're having such a time with the pads.

Thanks to nitram, as always, for providing timely and helpful tech support and information. I didn't know about that feature. Thank you.

JM, just yesterday, one of my cats managed to do something to my keyboard so I was suddenly typing in a whole different (unintelligible) alphabet, and that was just a casual whack from the floor! (This is a big cat who can reach my keyboard when standing on her hind legs and trying to get my attention/into my lap/at my food. If I'm standing up and she stretches, she can reach to my waist. Tells you how short I am!) When they walk on my keyboard it's usually a disaster. They're not allowed on my desk, not that it stops them.

Hope you can get the blood test/iron levels sorted for your daughter, JM, and that doesn't sound in the least convenient about going to hospital for the blood draw.

Ann, no advice about the washing, just sympathy, and no, I can't understand why they can't put clothes in a bag properly. I know they're busy, I know they get distracted, but it's just not difficult. I would have been very irritated as well.

Also condolences on the death of your friend. As you say, even when it's not unexpected, it's not welcome news.

However, everything you say about the job is sounding good and I am so pleased for you. I imagine it will take some time to sort out, not only the equipment, but also your schedule. We know you are up to the task!

And thanks again for all the support about my mother. I really wasn't given a timetable for when this would happen but I suppose it's been at least two weeks since they rang me about this, hasn't it? I confess I haven't pestered them for much information. This is partly avoidance, partly procrastination, partly not wanting it to happen, and partly somehow not wanting to rock the boat. All of which is silly, I know, but there it is.

I do know that they have to replace the carpet and repaint in both rooms and I have no idea how long that takes. Well, I know how long it takes, but I don't know how long it takes the care home to get it finished!

I am also waiting to hear from the manager/administrative person, about the new fee structure. I am hoping that I will just be able to look it over and sign a couple of pieces of paper as an addendum to the current agreement, and not have to start from scratch with the entire application and contract. That was long and tedious and slow! The source of my procrastination, is my fear about the contract. When my mother moved into this care home last year, there were some sections of the contract I refused to sign and it was a fight, but the manager eventually gave in. There is a different manager now and I'm not sure she would.

I have to run but more later. Thank you, as always, for listening, and sending warm wishes to everyone!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Amy, I do hope that you won't have another fight on your hands about the care home contract! I can understand why you would want to keep your head down and pretend this is not happening - we might know, in our hearts, that things are getting worse but actually having that confirmed can be hard to bear :(

This is the garden centre we visited with Mum this week

http://www.holmeforgardens.co.uk/

JM, it is very wrong that there are not more flexible arrangements for phlebotomy. When I was working at the surgery, my HCA would bleed even under 10s if they had decent veins and would tolerate the procedure! I do hope that your daughter is soon feeling better again.

Ann, it's not only that the Continence Nurse was unhelpful, she was also only just short of being rude! Thank goodness that things seem a bit better today!

I am currently lying on my bed with my lappy alongside me and Sky is lying on my chest. Alf also likes that position during the night - but, at nearly 7kg, he is rather less comfortable :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Our cats sleep at the bottom of the bed, although the big one will jump up on me and walk along me in the night as I am on his way to the window sill (and at this time of year open window)

forgot to mention OH called me outside last night, about 11, as there were a couple of hedgehogs on our front lawn, one had hidden in the hedge, but the other one stayed for a bit so I put some wet catfood down (correct hedgehog food I understand) which is had a munch on. We often see them at this time of year although there are signs of them at other times.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Not been around as app not working, so I'm using safari. Can't wait for the app to come back, tbh. Easier to read and less confusing!
I've decided to wait until I come back from holiday before seeing the doc. I'm due for a medication review then, anyway. Went to pick up pills today, double lot cos of hols, got home and they had left out the nasal spray! I could have picked it up after 16:00, but it was windy and pouring with rain, so I'll go on Monday. Nuisance dispensers!
I haven't, at this time of morning, got time to reply to you all, but hope everything is going as well as possible got you all.
Btw, it's still windy and pouring!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
App back, thank goodness! The print on the main site on safari was so small, I was having trouble reading it! Obviously iPad screen not big enough!
Was raining again earlier,but now looks like it's clearing, another thank goodness! Though there are gusts of wind still. Debating whether to go and do the paperwork or find a coffee shop . Wonder which will win!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Good afternoon all, thought I'd better let you know how I'm getting on.

Having a mix of good and bad days, I definitely did too much the other day, so have cut back on my walks.
Physio was pleased with me on Thursday, but said I have to take my time, not be in such a rush.

I'm hating the humid weather. Today is much nicer.
I cant have any windows open as I have to stand on a chair to open and close them.
Didn't think of that 'issue' before I had my knee done.
I've had the front door open on the 'chain', but its been too muggy to allow a breeze.

My upstairs neighbours were out the other day when we had that huge thunderstorm.
They had left their windows open , luckily they didn't have any damage.

MiL....
My niece has been popping in to see Granny.
Earlier today, niece found Granny with her pills piled on the dining table, still in packets, but all mixed up.
She was getting confused about what she needs to take, and when.
A lot red faced, flustered , and getting very worked up.

Niece said there were LOADS, not just a month or so worth.
I need to make a call to her Docs on Monday (or Nurse) to see if they can sort something out.

Also.... she had missed (? forgotten) 2 appointments to have her hearing tested.
She's been going more deaf over this last year or so.... I need to follow that up, if I can.

Had another call from SiL (nieces mum), asking me when I was going to be well for a drive to see mum.
It was only after I had put the phone down, I wondered if she 'thought' I was going to be the one who drove over to MiL... and not her.

Told her again that I was not going to be doing anything 'hands on' for at least 2 more months.
I can make a few calls here and there, but that is about it.
I'd like the physio to be with me on my first 'drive'. I don't want my first drive to be to MiL's .

Trying to catch up with all your news. Thinking of you. xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Grace, so nice to see you! Glad to hear you are progressing, if somewhat erratically! I'm afraid that's what happens. Windows are a nuisance, but I guess the worst of the hot weather has now gone. It felt really good last night to snuggle under the duvet!
Think it took 7 weeks before I got back into driving ( not mentioning the drive I did at 3 1/2 cos stepson and OH had gone over to new house in two cars ........ and brought them both back! Men!
Take your time with it. Tell relations it'll take even longer!
Good luck for the next stage of rehab.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Had to laugh, Amy, at the antics of your cat :D Especially the 'not allowed 0n my desk, not that it stops them'. I have a similar issue with my dogs - not allowed upstairs or on the sofa's - not that it stops them, either :rolleyes: I have fingers and toes crossed, hoping that you won't have to do battle over the contract when your Mum moves - I understand 100% the procrastination and avoidence of that particular task, I have developed almost a phobia about tackling any paperwork to do with Mil, because its never straightforward and rarely leads to anything other than more running round and more complications!

That garden centre looks gorgeous, Slugsta - another place where I would be tempted to spend far too much, though, I think :D

We very occasionally get hedgehogs in our garden, JM - but I suspect that the dogs keep them hiding for most of the time. When we were having our extention built, OH had to call me rather early one morning as a small family of them had actually fallen into one of the holes for the footings and needed rescuing - lovely little creatures, thankfully none injured and it was so nice to be able to get up close to them :)

Well Spamar - which won? Coffee shop or the paperwork? :D A lot fresher here too, now - I also snuggled under the covers last night for the first time in ages :)

Grace, glad to get an update, and glad that on the whole things are improving. Keep on sticking to your guns with Sil - everytime I read about the pressure she puts on you, her sheer cheek leaves me breathless - could she be any more obvious in her attempts to line you up as your Mil's carer? Stay strong, Hun xxxx

Got caught up in going through my back log of photographs yesterday morning, breaking off only to go see Mil, drop off clean clothes for her and pick up daughter from her theatre school. I arrived just as Mil was finishing her lunch, thankfully she was a lot less tearful than the previous visit, but very much engaged in something she had going on (in her head) with one of the other patients. Quite what it was all about, I have no idea, because Mil's side of the conversation had absolutely no connection with anything that this other lady actually said to her, and vice-versa :confused: It started with the lady - who tends to be up and moving, weilding an imaginary duster and moving things around most of the time - sitting down next to Mil, and asking if 'they' had taken 'them' to put where they should be? Mil's response was to ask was she going to eat her pudding now, as otherwise Matron would be shouting? and attempting to spoon yoghurt into this other ladies mouth. The lady responded by taking the tissue out of Mils hand and wiping the table, saying something about how she had put the boxes in the other place, and then Mil wanted to know if she had finished the writing? The lady told Mil she had made the beds. "Bloody Nora" exclaimed Mil "You'll get us shot - you know we have been told that those notes are out of bounds!. The other lady leaned forward and told Mil "Well, don't cry - you can only do your best", before getting up and going to 'polish' Mils' zimmer frame with Mil's gravy covered tissue! Mil turned to me and in a tone of great disgust said "Did you hear that? Cheeky mare! They should never have promoted her - she's a lousy supervisor. Bossy cow!"

It was quite bizarre - neither actually acknowledged anything the other said, none of it made sense - but neither appeared to have any recognition of how odd the conversation was - it evidently made sense to them, despite the fact that it sounded most peculiar to me. I wonder what exactly each of them heard as the other spoke? I was so engrossed in their conversation, trying to figure it out, that I lost track of the time and had to shoot off rather abruptly when I realised that I was going to be late to pick up daughter if I didn't go - but I was in such a rush that I managed to leave the bag of dirty clothes I'd been given sitting under the table. Whoops!

Had a quiet afternoon, OH got up around 4.30 and suggested we head down to the coast in Old Red, with the dogs, and have a fish and chips supper while we were out. Didn't need asking twice, I can tell you! We ended up in Prestatyn, where we walked the long beach there - and I realised that the pain in my hip was pretty much non-existent, despite us walking quite a distance - the shock wave therapy seems to have had a really good impact, down to just 2 doses of pain killers a day on average at the moment, which is amazing! The back still aches, but the worst pain was always in my hip, so to be free of that and able to enjoy a long walk was absolute bliss - I know I'll need more sessions in the future, its not a long term 'cure' - but as far as pain relief goes, its been the absolute best thing that I've been able to try.

Capped off the evening watching the most beautiful sunset, before having our fish and chips and heading home. Felt the best I've felt since it was decided that we couldn't have Mil back here to live, really relaxed and not a bit stressed out, and I actually slept from around 11.30 till just before 6a.m. this morning. A really lovely end to the day :)

Hope you all have a nice day today - I'll leave you with one of the sunset shots from the beach last night :) xxx

Attachments

• IMG_9465.jpgRS.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpgRS.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 538

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Lovely pic Ann, wish I could do as well. What do you think? Coffee shop of course. I went to a new-to-me one, although I am familiar either others on site. Not at a garden centre or farm snoop, but at a concert hall! It's quite a complex, lots of quirky shops, always a nice walk round! This one only opened in May, converted from a pre concert eating place. I guess they thought it must be better to use it every day, all day! It's on the river where OHs ashes are scattered.
I did put these on another thread, but just to save you looking!
Have started paperwork this am!

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1474192336.782352.jpgImageUploadedByTalking Point1474192354.755030.jpg

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Another weekend another cyclcocross race, this time in the North Wales league at Mold sports centre, as this was 20 mins away and the North West (Eng) race was an hour and 15.

https://www.facebook.com/Jessykinne...093479729045/1778746362397087/?type=3&theater

I'm exhausted and will try and catch up later.

Have to admit that I'm still procrastinating about paperwork, there is just so much of it and also I have so much else to do, with not enough time to do it all it feels.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Morning,

Good news on the one day off from the physio, Spamar - not so good on the misery from the hay fever/allergies :( Last night was again realy humid here, I slept (or tried to!) with no covers and the ceiling fan whirling at top speed. I thought yesterday evening, that we were in for a good old thunder storm, the sky had that gorgeous dark blue 'storm light', but no - it just stayed hot and oppressive. This morning it does feel a little fresher and is overcast, but its still unusually warm for this time of year.

I love 'mooching' round a good garden centre, Amy, and there are a lot in this area - but we have one that is quite near to us, Chester way, called the Grosvenor which is especially fabulous (though it can also be a little bit on the expensive side!) This one sells not only plants and general gardening equipment and furniture, but also a lot of other 'nice things' - candles, organic jams (jelly, I think you call them), books, lovely bits and bobs for the home, it has an aquarium and at Christmas, a huge area there is turned into the most amazing sort of grotto, absolutely beautiful - we like to go just to look, even if we are not buying (though we usually end up doing that too :eek: ). Mil used to love going to places like that, though like Slugsta's Mum, it eventually got to the stage where it was just the cafe and the cake that she showed any interest in. It sounds like you and OH are working hard to get your Mum's new abode sorted for her - I hope you are able to overcome the issues with fitting the essentials into a smaller space. When Mil moved here, obviously there wasn't room for most of her furniture, but I struggled to know what I should keep or throw of the 'small stufff' - ornaments, keepsakes, her collection of china plates, ect. At the moment, they are all packed into two 4-drawer storage units, plus a couple of very large plastic storage boxes, and in what will be my office. They will have to be moved - but I have no idea where to at the moment. For some reason, I am not comfortable with the idea of just getting rid of them - I have no idea what, if anything, they would mean to Mil now, but they are things that she must have collected and kept for a reason, and it feels wrong just to throw away or donate them to a charity shop.

Slugsta, I think that I need to follow your advice, especially over the first few months when I'm settling into the job and there is so much to do. Things will ease - at least I hope they will - when we get Mil settled somewhere, and I've also had stern words with the rest of the household about pulling their weight - the trouble with being 'at home' for the last 3 years is that I've fallen into the habit of doing the bulk of the household jobs and its now just 'accepted' that 'Mum will do it'. That will have to change!

Katrine is probably right about the liquid capacity of the pull ups - it varies so much, and when I was buying them for Mil, some brands were MUCH better than others. I was able to tell the clinic that Mil needed 'super-absorbency' (which she definitely did at night) but even then, as I believe is often the case, the ones the clinic supplied were not always up to the job and still left us with some nights when Mil managed to 'flood' the bed :( I would speak to the continence nurse asap, if only to ask for high absobency pull ups on your Mum's order. I'd also be pretty fed up over the washing machine not being turned on - for goodness sake, surely common sense would have told the carer that it needed doing? Not good :( Red has a good point about a UTI maybe making the incontinence worse at the moment - mil always had far more 'accidents' when she had that sort of infection.

And talking of washing, I'm not happy with what happened when we visited Mil yesterday, as regards her washing! OH and I had decided to go see her just after 4pm, but just as we were leaving, I got a phone call re the job and it lasted about 35 minutes (it was very helpful, so I'm definitely not complaining!). Once it was over, we never stopped to consider the time, just headed down and it wasn't till we were let into the ward that it struck us that we had arrived just as tea was being served. We apologised profusely, were assured it was OK and that they would set Mil up with a table in the 'lounge' area, so we could stay with her while she was eating. That was really nice of the staff and we did appreciate it. However . . . as Mil was tucking into her sausage and mash, one of the staff walked over with one of the 'laundry' plastic carrier bads, and dumping it at my feet, announced it was Mil's washing and walked away. It wasn't sealed in any way at all and the smell of stale urine was awful - and there was poor Mil, eating :mad: I was fuming - I know OH had a point when he said that it was our fault that we had arrived at such a busy time and that it was probably just an 'oversight' on the part of the staff, but personally, I really didn't think that was acceptable at all :( I rather obviously made a point of tying up the handles of the bag to try and seal it - though I honestly don't think that the staff concerned even noticed!

Aside from that, poor Mil wasn't in a good place at all - she was already tearful when we went in, whispering something about 'Its not the daughter, its the mother that does it' (?) - hard to catch what she was trying to tell us as she was very paranoid that the 'bosses' might overhear what she was saying and was speaking so quietly. Once again, there was something about her sending off 'the stuff to enroll in college' - but again, she was clearly worried about that issue too, though we couldn't work out why :( She jumped through several abrupt changes of conversation, with no apparent link of subject between one sentence and the next, but everything she said was something she was worried or upset about. It didn't help that some of the other patients were also entering sundowning time, and that two ladies in particular kept coming over - one determined to take Mil's tissues or (for some reason) pulling at the fabric of the dress I was wearing, and the other repeatedly coming over and quite belligerently asking a variety of nonsensical (to us) questions, interrupting Mil or us speaking, and both ladies were really ticking Mil off. For once there was no 'Isn't it time you went?' comments, and we were able to stay for about 45 minutes - however, we had a lot of upset when we tried to leave, with Mil pleading couldn't we take her and 'drop her off at 'S*** and Ann's house, please?' and her insisting that she didn't want to stay 'here', she was going 'home'. When the second lady came over to again interrupt at this point, Mil told her to 'go away' (in no uncertain terms!) and that sparked her starting to get quite cross. It took us about 10 minutes, and OH having to firmly tell her that she had to stay (so her medication could be sorted by the doctor, an explanation she usually accepts) and us basically walking away as she was still calling out to us - really not nice and quite upsetting :(

It was a sad day for us anyway, as news came that a chap that OH has supported off and on for years had passed away. We knew he was very ill, OH had visited him in hospital, and his death was expected - but he was such a character, very lovable and it left us both (because I knew him quite well too) feeling a bit down.

I had planned on today being my first 'full' day off since starting work - I am contracted for just 28 hours pw - but some of the planning and stuff I did yesterday has left me waiting on a couple of emails that I'll have to keep an eye open for, and deal with if they arrive. One of the things that I absolutely have to do is sort out regular days 'working' and days 'off' and stick to them - it would be very easy to find myself working at least part of every day in the week if I'm not careful! At the moment, my plan is to work 4 x 7 hour days a week, from either Mon to Thurs, or Tues to Fri - its a routine that I absolutely need to get into asap!

Hope you all have as good a day as is possible :) xxx

Ann,

I have no idea where you live but if you like 'proper' garden centres, check out this lovely place

http://www.abbeygardencentre.co.uk/

Jenny xxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann I'm glad that you were able to have a spontaneous evening out with OH. What lovely photos. I'm also very glad that the treatment on your hip was been so successful :)

Spamar, I didn't realise you are off on holiday again soon. Where are you off to?

That garden centre looks nice Jenny! A bit nearer to me than Ann - but still some distance from me.

I see, from the carers' notes, that Mum had a bowel movement in her pull-ups. This is a first, as far as I am aware :( At least the carer was able to help her have a full strip wash, even though she is still refusing help to shower!

Oh well, let's see what the new week brings . . .