End of life but what now?

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Mum.been in carehome for 3 years, fell, broke hip, operation , uti, hypodelerium, now not eating, or drinking as can't swallow properly has morphine patch, sleeping and told end of life care, however as now free of infection told today may be fasttracked to nursing home as less likely to get further infections. I'm going to ask questions tomorrow but does this mean back to carehome will they arrange with carehome a nursing bed?, continuing care assessment? or does it mean hospice? It's all so emotional ans stressful don't want my mum suffering or having to be moved but I know the hospital will need their bed.Thank you

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sounds like a CHC funded nursing home is on the near horizon. I'd guess it will be a direct discharge. Ask where there are beds, get looking! Ring and ask staff nurse in the morning or ward receptionist.

( 'Fast track' is terminology associated with CHC funding anyway)

I don't believe they would move her unless they considered her stable enough to do so.

My Mum was transferred about 3 day after this was said to me, and she lived another 5 or so months, due to the TLC she received

Discharged after a lengthy stay in hospital, deemed terminal ( inoperable heart condition) & dementia.

Last edited:

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
The care home where mum has been is a carehome emi with nursing and mum is self funded. Would they automatically take her back? Or would it need to be another as I'm not sure how much"nursing care" they do. Thank you

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The care home where mum has been is a carehome emi with nursing and mum is self funded. Would they automatically take her back? Or would it need to be another as I'm not sure how much"nursing care" they do. Thank you

She would have to be reassesed by wherever she went. They might, they might not, depends on if they think they can meet her needs now AND availability of a bed in the appropriate area.

Emmajayne

Aug 7, 2016
Mum.been in carehome for 3 years, fell, broke hip, operation , uti, hypodelerium, now not eating, or drinking as can't swallow properly has morphine patch, sleeping and told end of life care, however as now free of infection told today may be fasttracked to nursing home as less likely to get further infections. I'm going to ask questions tomorrow but does this mean back to carehome will they arrange with carehome a nursing bed?, continuing care assessment? or does it mean hospice? It's all so emotional ans stressful don't want my mum suffering or having to be moved but I know the hospital will need their bed.Thank you

Hi annii1,
Your mum is going through exactly the same as my grandma. Hip break, op, uti etc etc. Been in a CH 17 months self funding. Fell at said CH went into hospital and from that day she never ate or drank again. Was on a drip. Sleeping all the time too. Fast tracked into a NH after 6 weeks in hospital as there was nothing more they could do. When they fast track the Dr told us they think its unlikely they will last 3 months.
Continuing health care is a great thing if you've been self funding. They have assess them and chances are the NHS will fund it.
We chose a lovely NH, hospice wasn't ever an option. We chose to move my grandma there as like you say the hospital need the beds and to be honest we didn't want her to die in hospital we wanted her to be in a quiet room. My grandma lasted another 10 days after moving from hospital to the NH. We didn't want her moving back and forth from NH to hospital, NH's are more than capable of controlling pain and any EoL care needed. My grandma had a morphine patch on till the end, was in no pain.
Thinking of you xx