A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Silvia, Duh!!! I am an idiot

Brain not working.
I find it hard to ask for (help)

I also have lost my sense of humour
My brain is so far up my own bum, I cannot see the wood's for the tree's.
Barb

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry, I stupidly thought it was every Tuesday.

You're right, John used to like going to our support group, but once he stopped being able to follow what was said, there was no point.

If I can get a decent CPN to the house, I think we might be able to move on to a carer, eventually.

Definitely a chink of light!:)

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Sylvia

So glad that the OT visit went well. Fancy Dhiren phoning you, a mobile no. at that!! I would be thrilled if Alan could do that. It is so long ago since he was able to make a call and doesn't often answer the phone because he gets flustered at trying to relay the messages to me. It has made life a lot easier for me that phone calls go sraight to answer machine when I'm not in.

So when will you be having the new rails fitted?

Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

Now that, Helen, is the $64,000 dollar question. Watch this space. I was told it is non-urgent. :rolleyes:

Whenever I go out, I leave a note book on the mantlepiece, held open with two clothes pegs, and propped up.
In thick marker, I write;

• where I have gone
    what time I left
    what time I expect to be home
    my mobile number
We have new DECT phones which Dhiren cannot use, so I keep one of the old phones on a table in the living room. This is the first time he managed to find it and use it.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Wonder what defines urgent??!! I used to always leave a note for Alan but he can't tell the time much now and he can't use the cordless phones. I, too, have kept one of the old fashioned phones in the hall which he feels more comfortable with but I can't remember the last time that he actually rang anyone.

Anyway back to the rails, did you tell them about your back?

Love Helen

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia....:)

A lot to take in there..and I'm still getting used to this new laptop..which is so.....sloooooow.....sometimes...:(

But it does sound like things are edging forwards!

It's made me think that I ought to ask for a reassessment for Eric..it's painful watching him go out of the door..front or back..quite a big step down..

He is now "furniture walking" too...

I'm putting it on my "to do" list..thankyou!..:)

Hope things continue in a positive vein for you and Dhiren..

Love gigi xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia

It may take time but at least it is underway.

Here's hoping that it is not too long for both of you.

LOve to you and Dhiren

Mameeskye

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen.tomlinson

Originally posted by Grannie G
Now that, Helen, is the $64,000 dollar question. Watch this space. I was told it is non-urgent.

Non-urgent!, oh dear Sylvia, words fail me..........

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It has been an eventful day....................................

Now I know I`m a bit long in the tooth, but I`m not quite old enough to remember the silent films, even though my grandmother was a pianist for them.
But dear grandma, I could have done with some musical accompaniment from you today.........it has been Charlie Chaplin and the Keystone Cops all rolled into one.

It began this morning with a proud and pleased Dhiren.......
D `Everything is finished now. Everything is in order.`
S `:eek: In order? I was unaware anything was out of order.
D `I have put all the muesli and porridge away.`
S `Show me.`
D `They are here.` opening the cupboard doors with a flourish.
S `But they don`t go in the same storage jars. The muesli is for you and the porridge is for me. They go in seperate jars, mine is on the top high shelf where you can`t reach and yours is on the bottom low shelf.`
D `I`m sorry. I though I was helping you.`
S `Don`t worry. No harm done. We will both have a muesli/porridge mix for breakfast.`
D `I don`t like porridge.`
S `Well it`s a good job I do, but I`m not too sure about hot muesli.
Don`t worry. I`ll get some more for you.`

And then late this afternoon, our new kitchen table was delivered.........
When it came, Dhiren took one of the chairs and very helpfully carried it down our extremely narrow hall into the kitchen.
The men followed with the table, but the table was too wide and they were stuck half way down the hall.
And I was stuck behind the men.

And Dhiren didn`t know what to do with the chair.....he put it on the floor, but was worried the space would be needed for the table....so he tried to put it on the worktop......but thought better of it so tried to put it on the sink unit, and all the time the men were struggling with the table.
And I couldn`t help Dhiren as I was stuck behind the men.

So Dhiren took the chair into the garden.
And I was still stuck behind the men and couldn`t get to him.

And the men decided they would have to take the legs off the table, but they needed to get a spanner from their van. They couldn`t get out through the front door as the table was stuck in the hall, so they they had to go via the back door.
But the side gate was locked.

The key was in a drawer in the kitchen unit. Dhiren, who was hovering in and out, between the garden and the kitchen was in a panic and couldn`t remember which drawer, and because I was so far away, stuck half way down the hall, I could not make contact with him.

So I had to tell one of the men which drawer to open and which key to use. He was a bit embarrassed having to open one of my drawers.

Once the legs were off the table, poor Dhiren escaped back into the sanctuary of the livivng room and firmly closed the door.

The table was installed and the men left.

Earlier, in preparation for the delivery, we had put the old kitchen table and chairs into the garage. The new table has only two chairs. Well there are only the two of us, so it`s enough.

But then Dhiren went into the garage and brought two of the old chairs back and put them in the kitchen.

They didn`t match the new chairs and he didn`t know what to do with them. So we decided they`d be better back in the garage.

And I have been in fits of laughter every time I`ve thought of it, and I`ve had to make up a story to enable Dhiren to laugh with me.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What a wonderful story, Sylvia. Reminds me of the song 'Right said Fred....'

Glad you were both able to laugh!

Love,

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Sylvia

5yjbztv.gif
I can just picture todays episode to music!!! I must admit I was laughing at the fiasco as I was reading it Sylvia and I was glad you have been laughing your head off about it.

I was reading earlier some posts about a Canadian film re Alzheimers but I reckon if ever a film was made they should include this clip!! To Grandma's music of course :D:D

Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve tried to tell a few friends and my sister, but couldn`t tell them for laughing. So I have copied my post and emailed it to them so they could have the full story.

All Dhiren needed during the episode of the chair in the kitchen and the garden was a bowler hat, a little moustache and a cane, and he`d have been a film star. :D

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
And not only Dhiren, what about you stuck behind the delivery men who were stuck in the hall dismantling a table!!!! I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall to see your expressions!!!!:D:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen I don`t know about my expression, I was trying so hard not to laugh. But my legs were well and truly crossed. :eek:

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Sylvia, I wonder what stories those delivery men will be relating tonight?? I bet you and Dhiren are hot gossip in their local pub!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh well Helen, if they are laughing at us, they are leaving someone else alone. ;)

Actually they were so intent on getting the table in, I don`t think they saw all Dhiren`s antics.

I thought twice about posting this as it does seem to be making fun of Dhiren. Now I`m not into that at all, and it is only here, with people who really do understand the ups and downs of dementia, that I felt secure enough to post.

So thank you, everyone. You have taken it in the spirit in which it was posted.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Sylvia,
Just what I needed after a upsetting visit to see Peter. A laugh
You could not make it up.
It would make a good comedy video for T.V.
Love to you both
Christine
p.s. reminds me of Eric Sykes and the plank of Wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.