Emergency advice about oh medication

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
Hi
hope someone can help I have took my husband on a cruise and cant believe it but forgot his galantamine !!!!!!!! i know im an idiot. He was diagnosed over 4 yrs ago and has been on this medication since the start. i remembered all his other meds but not this. Is it dangerous if he does not take it for the fortnight.
thanks for reading and hopefully replying
suz x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have no idea about this medication so I did a quick Dr Google

It said that if you miss more than 2 to contact GP before starting taking again as may need to start whole process again starting on a lower dose.

Have you spoken to onboard doctor? They may be able to get a supply at your next port of call if regular stops and only one dose missed. Still might be worth talking to them anyway.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
I have no idea about this medication so I did a quick Dr Google

It said that if you miss more than 2 to contact GP before starting taking again as may need to start whole process again starting on a lower dose.

Have you spoken to onboard doctor? They may be able to get a supply at your next port of call if regular stops and only one dose missed. Still might be worth talking to them anyway.

Thanks 2jays, i am going to try and get hold of chemist in uk tommorow to see if they will fax a scrip over. ant believe ive done this. thanks for your help

suz xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You could ask or have announcement made and see if anyone has some on the ship.
Cruises tend to have a lot of older people so there's a good possibility I would think.
I always take too much medication on holiday, I take double what I need and one lot goes in the suitcase the other stays with me and a copy of my prescription to show what it is and why I have, that way if the suitcase get's lost I don't have to worry.
I lent/gave some blood pressure tablets to a man on holiday once after a chance discussion when he said he'd come away without his, you might get lucky.
Can a chemist get a prescription? I thought doctors had to write them?
K

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
There should be a doctor on board and they will know the best way to resolve the problem. They carry a variety of medications and may have some already. If not they can certainly get some at the next port. In the meantime they can contact your doctor to verify the prescription.

However, don't be surprised if you are charged for the service, as well as the medication.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
There should be a doctor on board and they will know the best way to resolve the problem. They carry a variety of medications and may have some already. If not they can certainly get some at the next port. In the meantime they can contact your doctor to verify the prescription.

However, don't be surprised if you are charged for the service, as well as the medication.

hi everyone, thanks for answering. im afraid the fault is all mine, remembered everything else and just dont know how i forgot his galantamine. docter on board wants 150.00 for a consultation and all i want to know is if this will be dangerous if he dosnt take them, going to call the chemist to see if they can fax a scrip to us on board. thanks for your replies
suz x

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
How long is the cruise, and how long has he been without?

have you noticed any difference in him thus far?

Can you not ring and ask your GP that? He knows him best

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Just googled

Galantamine is not a cure, but it can slow down the progression of the symptoms in some people. It works mainly by increasing the level of a natural chemical called acetylcholine. This is a chemical which allows nerve cells in the brain to communicate with each other, and it is known that people with dementia have low levels of it. The symptoms of dementia can be improved by increasing the levels of acetylcholine.

I cant see that it be dangerous to go without ( not like insulin for instance) and you might have to go back to a lower dose and build up on your return, but not taking it seems unlikely to be life threatening.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
Thank you TP ers

Hi
A big thankyou to 2jays, kevinl, rich pca carer and jessbow.
thanks for your help and advice re me forgetting OH's meds. I spoke to his chemist who said it wasnt a problem but that when we got back OH would have to start on a lower dose for a couple of weeks and build back up. He didnt have any side effects from not taking it.
As it happens the cruise ( which was part of his list of things to do) was not a success for him, and with hindsight i should have realised this, however everything he wants to try i want to do it for him, the plus side was that i took hundreds of photos for his memory albums that im building up for him and when he looks at them it makes him happy.
thanks again guys
suz x

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
Don,t blame yourself for forgetting the medication. There is always a hundred and one things to think of as well as looking after someone. Just when I think I am ahead of the game something else crops up!Hope you managed to have a rest on the cruise x