So bizarre !

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
:D:D:D:D ¡¡¡WELL DONE, ANN!!!:D:D:D:D
(Trying to be noisier than Amy!)
Well deserved and those kids are going to be lucky, lucky, lucky.

Just also to say -- yes, definitely your body knows you actually can collapse now. I think Spamar had that, too. I certainly did - 'flu and cold after cold. Or maybe it's just that one's immune system is depressed after putting oneself last for so long.

(Did I sound like Princess Anne there, with the impersonal pronouns?)

Amy - also wanted to see how you are?
& if any news of Grace and her op?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Lol - thank you so much, all of you, for the congratulations :D I'm still reeling a little here. In the last 5 weeks, I've applied for 8 jobs, I think - for 6 of them, didn't even get an acknowledgement, one (a TA job) I got a very nice email saying that they needed somone with more actual experience - and this one was, as Annovice pointed out - the only one where I got called to interview. And being as it was the first job interview I've been to in 6 years, I was pretty nervous, and I know I waffled a bit and felt I could have answered some of the questions a lot better. Under those circumstances, I honestly didn't expect to have landed the job, and was quite prepared to chalk it up to experience and keep on trying. Hence my shock!

I start next month - and I start with 2 days away, probably in South Wales. Although the charity have several branches of the specific project I'll be working for across the UK, this is a new venture in my area, so the 2 days 'induction' are to allow the new 'team' to get to know each other, for some training and fill us in on all the specifics of what the project aims are. It sounds like an efficient, sensible and actually, a really nice way to kick off the scheme in this area. And the lady I spoke to was very quick to assure me that they will cover all expenses! Quite a difference from many of the private agencies that provide care and support, that I have encountered, where new staff are expected to attend and complete any pre-job training and inductions on their own time and at their own expence! The difference between private and non-profit making organisations, I guess.

No big celebrations here - apart from a lot of hugs from OH and kids, and a lot of 'well done's' - OH and son were both working last night (though OH's shift was cancelled, due to cancellations from 'clients' at his respite house - he came home, but too late for us to actually 'do' anything :) ). The annoying cold meant that I didn't even have a glass of anything - so thank you 2jays, and everyone else who had a glass of bubbly grape or anything else on my behalf - you guys are such fab friends :D :D :D I'm not actually feeling that poorly, just snorting and sniffling in a most unladylike manner, and hopefully, I'll be well over it soon. I think LadyA is right, that once you are able to step back from the 24/7, your body does think that its finally time for you to give into any ailments and illness. Not so much the cold, but certainly the aching joints are an issue for me at the moment - you would think that the pain would ease, with the lessening of laundry duties and sheer physical graft of caring for Mil, but this last few weeks, almost exactly since we reached the decision about permenent care, has been pretty bad. Hoping that will also improve before I start this job!

I'm so sorry to read about your Mum's fall, Slugsta - not what either you or she needed, to round off a difficult week, at all :( And the incident with the spilled hot chocolate was pretty much an addition of insult to injury! Your Mum seems to be having some extra difficulties at the moment - I'm still hoping that it is down to the UTI, but just in case it isn't, just in case its one of those noticable, bigger, sudden steps 'down', I think you are absolutely right to step up the pressure on the support services. Time to trot out more of the 'Duty of care' reminders, and use even more of the 'vulnerable adult' references, to push them to get the essential support set up. Hope you now have the washing out of the way and can have a reasonably relaxed weekend.

R-Anne - I admit to a chuckle over the table incident too. Maybe that will teach the carer that its far less trouble to do the job properly, to offer a toilet trip as he or she should be doing as a matter of course, than it is to have to wash and change 4 people! I will admit that both OH and I have chortled over some incidents involving Mil, while she has been on the ward. Her managing to phone the police springs to mind - they had been warned that if she got hold of a phone she would dial 999, that they really had to watch her - but it took her making the call for them to take the warnings seriously. Lets just hope that its a lesson learned for the carers at the home now xxx

I didn't visit Mil yesterday, as I said, I just don't think its a sensible thing to do when I'm full of a cold. I did ring the ward to check if she needed anything, though, and explain why I woudn't be in as usual. The staff I spoke to was polite, but there was something a little 'off' in a couple of comments that made me feel quite defensive - almost an implication of 'Oh - you just fancy a little break, do you?'. Maybe it was just me, but I found myself pointing out rather firmly that the reason why I wasn't coming in was because the risks associated with Mil catching a cold can actually be quite serious for her, plus the last thing needed or wanted on a ward that has a large number of elderly and in some cases, fairly frail individuals, is an infection of any sort doing the rounds. And then when I got off the phone, I was cross for feeling that I had to explain myself and point out what I thought was 'obvious'. Once I do start work, though, I am really not going to be able to do the 3 or 4 visits a week that I do now (in addition to OH's 2 visits worked around the night shifts) , and I wonder what the response will be then? I refuse to feel guilty about it - for 3 years I haven't been able to work and we have had to scrape by. Now Mil isn't here 24/7, I have to work - for my own sanity as well as for financial reasons. I wonder if we will get any similar comments then?

No plans for today - or at least, none I'm aware of, lol. I'm about to do a quick 'tidy over', which is all that is needed today. OH will visit Mil at some point, then perhaps we'll head out in Old Red for a few hours, with dogs and camera's - we'll see.

Have a good day, everyone xxxx

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Congratulations Ann. So pleased you have got the job.

Stuck in m6 traffic jam.

Hope Grace's op is all on track.

I agree with Amy 100 miles isn't too far. Often take dau to races for day over that distance. 1950 miles driven on hol once we get home. Between us we cycled about 1850 miles.

I'll update when more when I have time. Today's worry is son is being dropped off for scout camp at 10 tomorrow so need to wash his clothes. He pulled out a pair of trackies when we got to Calais last night that look a bit small so clothes shopping may be on list as well. Looking forward to seeing dog and cats.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OMG, Red v Amy as who can be the noisiest!!
See what you do to us, Ann!!
Seriously, and I'm sure I speak for all us on here, I am so pleased for you and hope that the job is all you want it to be. You deserve it!

Yes, Red, I was down as well. I got ill with tummy upset the first week he was in respite! Whilst I reckon I am a lot better, there's a lot of ups and downs. I'm not eating correctly and that's always a bad sign! Stopped losing weight, which is bad, but never mind, will get there eventually!!

JM glad you had a good time. Hang on you didn't actually say that! Children growing quickly are a boring fact of life, they just shoot up at inopportune times!
Have been sitting in a cafe discussing the Olympics with everybody!

Have a good day!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Home now, OH gone to fetch dog.

Yes I did have a good time. Need to catch up on Olympics. Soooo Pleased we got medals in canoe slalom - my first sport, we know the guys who got silver in C2 and Fionna Pennie - who raced ladies K1 in canoe slalom, her mum looked after my dau once so I could race. It also means for a tiny sport they keep much needed funding for the next few years.

Hopefully I'll post later tomorrow, as son to Scouts and dau off to MTB camp.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
This will likely be in bits and pieces, apologies for leaving anyone out.

Slugsta, I realised after the fact that what I said about driving "only" 100 miles would look very different to a UK perspective. I see over and over again on the travel forum I frequent, that over-eager North American visitors to the UK have impossible driving expectations for their UK trips.

So let me back up and say that compared to the drive to my in-laws' house (450 miles and 8 hours), that the drive to see my aunt and uncle (100 miles and 1.5 hours) is a doddle. It's all motorway and if there's no traffic or construction delays, and if I maybe don't quite obey the speed limit, only 90 minutes door to door. I suppose it is all what you're used to. It's the same drive I used to make for my mother, before she moved into the care home. It always felt a lot longer, when I had to go and take her to the doctor.

I also have to apologise for the loud cheering for Ann. I think I've been watching too much Olympics and have become used to cheering on my team. (We are all on the same team here, are we not? Go, Team Talking Point! Bring home the gold!) But mostly I was really pleased for Ann's good news.

I'm really behind in the Olympics and have been trying to avoid spoilers (which basically means no news or Internet) but am pleased to hear Team GB is doing well, and how fun to hear about JM's connection to the canoeing team.

I'm also not surprised to hear about your cold, Ann. As others have said, it seems that often our bodies wait for us to "let down" before they slap us with a past due bill for stress. Hope you feel better soon. And of course you shouldn't visit MIL while you are sick. Not only could you give them some very unwanted germs, but your resistance will be low and you could pick up something else. Don't let

Anne, the weeing under the table made me laugh, I won't lie. Experience is a great teacher, they say.

Slugsta, I was sorry to hear about your mother taking a fall. Hope she is doing okay. Extra washing is not what anyone needs (I know it's only washing but still). I think your instinct about the erratic medication times is a good one. I definitely saw my mother wobbly more than once, when she was (incorrectly) self-medicating and that problem disappeared when she went into the care home. As you say, it certainly can't be helping, even if it isn't the cause of the falls/balance issues.

Red, you asked how I was doing. I am definitely better than I was and I had a good couple of days with my aunt and uncle, who offered a lot of emotional support. We also had some fun, which has been sorely lacking lately.

I am still physically and mentally very tired from the three or four or five or however many weeks it was, out with the in-laws. I have a lot of paperwork to sort for my mother and of course nothing happened, while I was out of town. I mean, the bills got paid, but it's all a mess and I have a big issue with some of the finances/investments that I need to tackle and am not sure how to do that. So there is that.

I also feel sad about FIL's death; normal, I know. I don't feel as though I got closure on that, which is hard, and it was my father's birthday this week (he died in 1998) so I know that stirred up some old emotions as well.

DH is doing a bit better but is very overworked at the moment, which is not helpful. He says he is "okay" about his father's death but I don't buy it! So that's hard. The work schedule will ease in a month or so but his father will still be dead, if you know what I mean.

I am also still quite angry with or at or about, I don't know which preposition to use, my mother-in-law. I know it wasn't about me. I know she was under a huge amount of stress and then grief. I know she's had a lot of shocks and loss and stress these past few months. I still don't like how I was treated and I still don't know how to process it and I definitely have no idea how to go forward.

There is also the issue of how to deal with the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) this year. Last year I felt it imperative to be with my mother on those days, but as her Alzheimer's progresses, her understanding and enjoyment of holidays is diminishing. Her lack of orientation to time has gotten very much worse in the past year. (She often asks me now what month it is, instead of what day it is, and will seem surprised that it is August, despite the weather. I know, I know, no logic is functioning, her brain is broken, she has no short term memory, but it's still often so bizarre, as you all well know.)

Last year she knew it was Christmas time because there were decorations all over the care home and in her room, but without those prompts, I wonder if she would even know. She also seemed more confused/distressed by presents and gift opening, than pleased. So I am not sure what to do about Christmas this year. Historically, my mother was always very firm that I be with her on Christmas Day (which meant I never spent Christmas with my father until I was in my 20s, but that's another story) and last year, she remembered that, so on the off chance that is still "important" to her, I feel some obligation. It's not easy to know what to do.

In the meantime, my husband's family has a track record of not communicating in advance about holidays and then coming up with last minute plans that we are supposed to accommodate. I am not playing that game any longer, so I would prefer to come up with our own plan and present it to them ahead of time. (The best defence being a good offence and all that.) I think that trying to have Thanksgiving dinner at my mother-in-law's house, the way we've done it in the past, with my father-in-law now dead, would be horrible and sad and foolish to attempt for any number of reasons. Also I'm reluctant to be under her roof anytime in the near future, if ever, as you may understand.

So a lot of that is churning around in my head and I'm trying to come to grips with it. I would really like to run away to a beach and to he!! with the turkey and all that. I daresay some of you can sympathise with that!

So I guess that's how I am.

I am also procrastinating any number of household chores, some of which I will now go and tackle. I may not feel better, but the bathroom will be cleaner, so off I go. Best wishes to you all.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I was cross for feeling that I had to explain myself and point out what I thought was 'obvious'. Once I do start work, though, I am really not going to be able to do the 3 or 4 visits a week that I do now (in addition to OH's 2 visits worked around the night shifts) , and I wonder what the response will be then? I refuse to feel guilty about it - for 3 years I haven't been able to work and we have had to scrape by. Now Mil isn't here 24/7, I have to work - for my own sanity as well as for financial reasons. I wonder if we will get any similar comments then?

And if they try it tell them that you have dedicated 3 years unpaid to looking after your MIL and to keep her out of a NH but th consultant says she needs 24/7 residential care. As they will understand you now need to make up your lost earnings for the mortgage.

Sometimes you have to tell it like it is even though you would rather poke them in the eye with a stick.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Amy, I want getting at you at all. Sorry if I've upset you. You be as loud and noisy as you like!! It's nearly always quiet here, so a change is nice! Though I have been shouting at the Olympic cyclists!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
So a lot of that is churning around in my head and I'm trying to come to grips with it. I would really like to run away to a beach and to he!! with the turkey and all that. I daresay some of you can sympathise with that!

Do it. Take OH on a short restful break. No guilt monsters. No obligations. x

Ann - I would like to slap that staff member round the cheeks with a wet fish. If it helps you mentally have permission to use the image, alongside the Bizarrite cheerleaders, whenever you encounter proddy-nosed, unimaginative, self-righteous, unempathetic morons like this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do it. Take OH on a short restful break. No guilt monsters. No obligations. x

Ann - I would like to slap that staff member round the cheeks with a wet fish. If it helps you mentally have permission to use the image, alongside the Bizarrite cheerleaders, whenever you encounter proddy-nosed, unimaginative, self-righteous, unempathetic morons like this.

Ann - here is an assortment of visual images for you

We are all behind you

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Amy, I want getting at you at all. Sorry if I've upset you. You be as loud and noisy as you like!! It's nearly always quiet here, so a change is nice! Though I have been shouting at the Olympic cyclists!

Spamar! No! Not at all!! You've not upset me in the least, I assure you!!!

Mostly I was poking fun at myself for acting like one of those stereotypical loud horrible Americans, and also feeling just a little nervous that perhaps I had (unintentionally) offended one of you lovely people by making a reference to (the similar stereotype of) residents of the UK being reserved. No offence, or offense, intended, and certainly none received.

My impression, from my measly three trips to the UK (mostly all time in spent in London) is that people are, not reserved, but incredibly polite and civilised. Or at least, I have been lucky enough only to have encountered pleasant people.

And every trip I've ever taken overseas, I've witnessed at least one stereotypical "loud/ignorant American tourist" incident and just been incredibly mortified and wanted to sink into the floor and die. Like the lady with the toilet comment in London. Or that lady at the Eiffel Tower. Or that horrible table of American women in that lovely cafe in Paris. Or the women in the restaurant in Barcelona. You get the idea. I don't want to be That American Tourist!

So, no harm, Spamar, and I will try to be more careful to indicate when I am being tongue-in-cheek. I am sorry for any misunderstanding. I do beg your pardon. You are all very kind to put up with this very contrite Yank on your boards.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
!!

First RedLou made me laugh with the "slap round the cheeks with a wet fish" comment and then Canary made me double up with the matching icon (or whatever you call those thingies)!!!

Ooh, quite like the one poking the other in the eye with a stick as well.

Thank you for the laughter on a wet, grey Sunday morning.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

(((Amy))) you have a lot of things to process and come to terms with, it will take a while and might never happen completely. I hope you do find a resolution that allows you to move on without crippling anger or resentment.

Welcome home JM, I'm glad you have a good holiday, you certainly got some good miles under your belt!

Ann, I wonder if the person you spoke to has any idea of what carers, in general, or you, in particular, go through? I hope that snooty-knickers is soon made aware of just how hard you fought to keep MIL at home with you and how little cause you have for guilt :mad:

I do hope you soon get shut of this bug soon. What a nice way to start your new job and get to know your colleagues, another thing you could not have considered while MIL was with you!

We were out at a friend's party last night, late home and I slept for much of the morning. Went to give Mum her meal and took a couple of tubs of ice-cream with me as she ate her last one yesterday. She really enjoyed the lemon curd flavour one, will have to try and get her some more. She has had another nose bleed so I came home with another load of washing - sheets, pillow cases and clothes. It looks as if she might have dripped over several unworn tops whilst trying to clean up. She has had nose bleeds since she was young but is now less able to deal with it, I think I will be asking her GP for an ENT referral to consider cautery (it's a minor procedure that would not need a GA)!

According to the forecast, we are all in for some warm weather over the next few days. I hope everyone is able to keep cool and comfortable.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Red, just love your choice of words!!

I actually went out to a concert tonight, first time since last Christmas. It was a jazz one, so a few people up dancing! Another one on a fortnight - John Wilson + orchestra, I'm really really looking forward to that!

Next door have bought a pup, a chihuahua, black, 4 months old. Think she's got all the family wrapped around her paw already! She's not keen on me, too big and scary, I think!

Murray going through a bad patch, just about to lose 2nd set, I believe.