Can anyone advise on incontinence pull ups for men.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I have had to start my husband using incontinence wear. I find the best thing is pullups. Trouble is there are so many to choose from. I already know that a certain supermarket brand are useless. they are so loose round the leg that they are not where they should be when needed.A famous chemist brand is good and also the most well known brand. But it costs a lot of money if using 2 a day.I have looked on the internet but it is confusing. I will have to stick with the two brands as mentioned above. At the moment we have clean pants in morning and to go to bed. He is amazing on accepting he needs to wear them and it stops a lot of worry for me. Anyone any advice.xxx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We get Tena Normal from the Continence Service and top that up with Tena Super and Maxi from the supermarket and the Internet. Yes, they are expensive, but what can you do?

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
Have you tried contacting your GP to see if there is a local NHS incontinence nurse available in your area. You might be able to get better ones via them and hopefully on prescription. X

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I git mine through continence service via GP. Delivered to your door. You can request what absorbency you need. I used two a day and rarely had to buy any myself

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I git mine through continence service via GP. Delivered to your door. You can request what absorbency you need. I used two a day and rarely had to buy any myself

No not everywhere. Our borough gives everyone the same low amount and absorbency. As always, it's a postcode lottery.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thank you all. I will get in touch with GP. but in the meantime continue with the ones I have been getting. I would like to get them delivered if possible.x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I bought from Age UK washable jockey pants with sown in pads, they can not remove the pads, £8.95 works out much cheaper than disposables.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Pamanns post

I bought from Age UK washable jockey pants with sown in pads, they can not remove the pads, £8.95 works out much cheaper than disposables.
I did look at these but wonder about size. also on average how many pairs would we need in 24 hours. He doesn't always do a full wee but when he does, the wrong pants or pull ups leak out, I suppose at the sides. I feel so much better now he is in pull ups as it gives me the confidence to relax a bit when we go out. But i would prefer your suggestion of washable if I could get the right ones. Sorry not asking you to tell me what size to get.!!!! More about how many needed. Or perhaps I should just get a couple of pairs to try. Sorry I'm waffling out loud.xxx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Incontinence is unpredictable. Sometimes OH is good for hours, sometimes he wets through in an hour. And then there's the dreaded bowel incontinence! We need 5-6 a day but it's really down to the individual.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
No not everywhere. Our borough gives everyone the same low amount and absorbency. As always, it's a postcode lottery.

You're absolutely right. I was paying £15 a week for these, and it was only when I said, during a phone call to the Incontinence Service, that I couldn't understand why people in Leeds could have free pads or pants, but in London they could only have free pads, when they both had a wee or a poo, the same, that I got anywhere.

I said I thought this was the National Health Service, and as this was a postcode punishment, it may well necessitate a call by me, to the Court of Human Rights, and then I was told I would be contacted the next day. They did, offering me one free pair of pants a day, but I managed to get this raised to 2 pairs. :)

It's absolutely disgusting that you have to beg and plead in one borough, but not in another, and the same applies to the amount of help available, both practical and financial.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
You're absolutely right. I was paying £15 a week for these, and it was only when I said, during a phone call to the Incontinence Service, that I couldn't understand why people in Leeds could have free pads or pants, but in London they could only have free pads, when they both had a wee or a poo, the same, that I got anywhere.

I said I thought this was the National Health Service, and as this was a postcode punishment, it may well necessitate a call by me, to the Court of Human Rights, and then I was told I would be contacted the next day. They did, offering me one free pair of pants a day, but I managed to get this raised to 2 pairs. :)

It's absolutely disgusting that you have to beg and plead in one borough, but not in another, and the same applies to the amount of help available, both practical and financial.

You are amazing Scarlett. I wish I had your bravery and determination. I am weak and useless and do not know what to say or how to stick up for myself. I am phoning the Doctors surgery next week for an appointment about incontinence. xxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You are amazing Scarlett. I wish I had your bravery and determination. I am weak and useless and do not know what to say or how to stick up for myself. I am phoning the Doctors surgery next week for an appointment about incontinence. xxxx

No, I'm not at all amazing Sweetie, I was just fed up to the eyeballs one day, reading about this pigging postcode lottery, and following a visit by a most unhelpful Incontinence Nurse, and so I wrote down all the salient points I wished to make, and made the call to the Incontinence Service.

When I was a teacher, in a huge secondary school on the borders of Hackney, my most-quoted saying was "Failure to prepare, is to prepare for failure", and I made sure my students prepared for their exams, work experience and mock-interview days. When dealing with authority, it helps to have your ammunition ready, whether you need to use it or not.

I never shout, I never swear, and I never interrupt. Usually I find that I'm interrupted, so I then say "would you please afford me the same courtesy that I showed you, and allow me to speak? Thank you" and then I continue. :)

My main point was that I felt John's human rights were being violated, due to our postcode, and that he was being punished, due to where we lived, and due to the fact he was mobile. If he'd been lying in bed all the time, the pads might have been sufficient for his needs, but he wasn't.

Many people think that if you live in Greater London, you have loads more help available, when the opposite is true. There are so many people trying to get a slice of the cake, that you often find you're left with crumbs. For example, I used to be amazed at the number of people who would write of "our Admiral Nurse", whereas all I had was a phone number.

You're doing so well, under very difficult circumstances. :)

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
No, I'm not at all amazing Sweetie, I was just fed up to the eyeballs one day, reading about this pigging postcode lottery, and following a visit by a most unhelpful Incontinence Nurse, and so I wrote down all the salient points I wished to make, and made the call to the Incontinence Service.

When I was a teacher, in a huge secondary school on the borders of Hackney, my most-quoted saying was "Failure to prepare, is to prepare for failure", and I made sure my students prepared for their exams, work experience and mock-interview days. When dealing with authority, it helps to have your ammunition ready, whether you need to use it or not.

I never shout, I never swear, and I never interrupt. Usually I find that I'm interrupted, so I then say "would you please afford me the same courtesy that I showed you, and allow me to speak? Thank you" and then I continue. :)

My main point was that I felt John's human rights were being violated, due to our postcode, and that he was being punished, due to where we lived, and due to the fact he was mobile. If he'd been lying in bed all the time, the pads might have been sufficient for his needs, but he wasn't.

Many people think that if you live in Greater London, you have loads more help available, when the opposite is true. There are so many people trying to get a slice of the cake, that you often find you're left with crumbs. For example, I used to be amazed at the number of people who would write of "our Admiral Nurse", whereas all I had was a phone number.

You're doing so well, under very difficult circumstances. :)
Thankyou. I have decided to try washable pants and have ordered 2 pairs to see if they would be suitable. If ok I will get more. Also going to make appointment to see Doctor to enquire about the pull ups on NHS, but don 't expect they do them. Need for the Doctor to see David anyway. I have asked for a weeks respite in September so thats on my mind constantly. It would appear that they can't book a week until much nearer the date so I feel in limbo. Don't know where it will be. Social worker is on holiday which doesn't help. (Does anyone know what a holiday is? !!!)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thankyou. I have decided to try washable pants and have ordered 2 pairs to see if they would be suitable. If ok I will get more. Also going to make appointment to see Doctor to enquire about the pull ups on NHS, but don 't expect they do them. Need for the Doctor to see David anyway. I have asked for a weeks respite in September so thats on my mind constantly. It would appear that they can't book a week until much nearer the date so I feel in limbo. Don't know where it will be. Social worker is on holiday which doesn't help. (Does anyone know what a holiday is? !!!)

What an absolute shambles this is. :mad: We never had "A Social Worker". All our SWs were on temporary contracts, so completed a task, like agreeing John should have another session at the Day Centre - and then closed the case! So when something else cropped up, I had to go through the whole rigmarole again, with yet another SW.

Yes, I'm sure a holiday would be lovely, so let's hope you get your respite in September, because a week of sleep would be marvellous for you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Casbow im currently at the same point as you. When I saw the continence nurse last week I said to her that John had accidents at night but only once during the day. She ordered appropriate numbers to deal with that but today we had an embarrassment when out shopping so ive had to leave a message on her answerphone to up the numbers. I also ordered pull-ups with my groceries for Tuesday and have a couple of samples to tide us over.

I kind of feel things taking a slide and wonder how it's all going to work out.

Two good buys on tips from TP have been Kylie sheets and a carpet protector from A***on for less than a tenner.

happybunny

Mar 28, 2013
I have had to start my husband using incontinence wear. I find the best thing is pullups. Trouble is there are so many to choose from. I already know that a certain supermarket brand are useless. they are so loose round the leg that they are not where they should be when needed.A famous chemist brand is good and also the most well known brand. But it costs a lot of money if using 2 a day.I have looked on the internet but it is confusing. I will have to stick with the two brands as mentioned above. At the moment we have clean pants in morning and to go to bed. He is amazing on accepting he needs to wear them and it stops a lot of worry for me. Anyone any advice.xxx

I got in touch with the doctor who referred us to the incontinence nurse. We are allocated two a day and they are amazing and can tolerate 2 accidents before they leak. This may be a solution for you.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I got in touch with the doctor who referred us to the incontinence nurse. We are allocated two a day and they are amazing and can tolerate 2 accidents before they leak. This may be a solution for you.

Hello to you all. Yes I am going to make an appointment to see doctor tomorrow to see if we can get help with pull ups. Thanks to everyone who has posted. Love to you all.x

mowise

Jul 28, 2016
Incontinence wear.

Hi have you tried contacting the different firms who supply these pullups and ask for some samples? I did which help me decide the best for MOH. Most firms were very quick to respond.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
When we saw the doctor she said that the district nurse also deals with incontinence, and she will get her to make an appointment to see us. We use 2 pairs of Tena Pullups a day and that seems to work at the moment. But of course it is costing about £12 a week. I did buy the y fronts that were recommended, but he wet right through them. Got caught short whilst we were on a dog walk. Poor man. And once they were wet it wasn't like the Tena pants which were stay dry.xx