CHC (Continuing Healthcare) support thread

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I don't think they would like that.

Without the direct emotional entanglement of the person being reviewed it is far easier to be obstructively adamant.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Without the direct emotional entanglement of the person being reviewed it is far easier to be obstructively adamant.

Yes, that makes sense. I didn't really have to argue at the meeting but if I had had to, I would probably have got way too emotional about it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"They" don't seem to understand that what is being discussed is effectively a potential tax free weekly income of, in my area, around £700 - £1000 even after taking into account loss of some benefits.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Nitram, which benefits are you referring to?"

In terms of benefits CHC is broadly analogous to being an inpatient.

After 28 days the person looses most non means tested disability based benefits e.g. AA.

I believe that in certain circumstances some can be retained if CHC is delivered in a domestic situation.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

I believe that in certain circumstances some can be retained if CHC is delivered in a domestic situation.

Nitram, are there any circumstances that you're aware of, and that we can spell out for people, where AA/PLA/PiP cannot be retained when CHC is granted in a domestic setting?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Nitram, I didn't see any mention of this in 'Change of circumstances' on the AA pages of the gov.website.
Can you be clearer about possible loss of AA when in receipt of CHC?
My husband (at home) receives partial funding but I was never told of it having an effect on AA.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
If it's any reassurance Sleepless, Sue's in the same position regarding DLA. She continues to receive it, quite correctly we've been told.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I phrased it the way I did because I was not sure about all disability benefits and thought it better for people to check.

I was not thinking about AA/PIP/DLA but about disability premium on pension credit, in retrospect I should not have followed on from 'non means tested disability based benefits'.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Locally I have acted as advocate in many DSTs.

How do potential CHC recipients arrange to have an advocate at the DST meeting?

Nitram, given the struggle some people have to go through to receive CHC; perhaps you should start an advocacy resource centre.:)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Good idea Spiro.

Perhaps there should be a government-funded national advocacy service? Can't see that happening somehow.:(

Ihtl

Jan 19, 2016
Has anyone here applied for CHC funding directly through their local CCG? They got back to be some time ago to say that a nurse assessor would be in contact.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Post #5 on this thread mentions someone who successfully applied for CHC funding. I know this is small comfort to those who have struggled sometimes for years and still not got it but it might help someone to know what it was given for.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
If a hospital (not at any discharge stage yet) is recommending the pwd now requires nursing care (Emi) would we be able to ask re CHC if it came to being a definate that's what they advise? They would generally be self funding, as yet there appears to be nowhere available with correct care, would they keep him in or discharge to ?somewhere?
Also , is there a thread re what should happen at discharge? I've read through here but didn't see anything but may have missed any link as a lot to read:)

Any advice appreciated.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
there is the Funded Nursing Care that the NHS fund and it is £112 per week that is paid to the nursing home to cover nursing care. LA or PWD is responsible for the rest of the fees charged by the nursing home.

You can certainly request a CHC assessment to see if the health needs are strong enough to warrant this funding. Good to be looking at your options as things do change.

Ihtl

Jan 19, 2016
It sounds as if you need to chase them up. You shouldn't have to but.....

I called the CCG on Monday and surprise surprise, the nurse assessor called me today. Almost 5 weeks to the day since I was told they'd be in contact, I'd like to believe that would've happened anyway, but the cynic in me says otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL