A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Sylvia

If I hadn't read your posts all the way thro' I would have said that Dhiren's response was a very silly but clever play on words.
Is he still capable of teasing you ?

regards
Germain

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
When I told him I was Sylvia, he twigged immediately and was very upset.

this is why I didnt tell mum I was her daughter the first time she had no clue who I was...but she was in a NH by then, I just couldnt bear to see her reaction had I told her that this woman standing in front of her that she thought was a nurse or carer(perhaps?) was in fact the daughter she was talking about. by that time it had been about 1 1/2 years since she had spoken my name.
well of course, I was devastated, but I could have reminded her as to who I was, and she may have realised, and been upset, or she may have not understood.
either way, mum loses. no good outcome for her.
and either way I lose too. So I didnt try and make her realise that it was ME.
what would have been the purpose, to make me feel better?
But of course, our circumstances are totally different.
parent/child....sibling/sibling...spouse/spouse
all difficult, and some more painful than others
Jo
me having my usual vent, ...

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yes, as I said, different circumstances, my mum wasnt looking for me, she knew she had a daughter,just didnt know I was her daughter.
he was looking for you and you showed him where you are.
Hugs
Jo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday, Paul was coming for lunch. I was making Paella......a special request. Then they were going to watch the football.

But I pressed the wrong button on our remote, and couldn`t get Sky on our new TV. So Paul and Dhiren had lunch and then went to Paul`s house to watch the football.

Yesterday evenig.........
S `Did you enjoy the football on Paul`s big screen television?`
D `We didn`t watch football, we just talked.`
S `Oh!`
then....
D `When are you making paella for Paul?`

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Eureka!!! Like a bolt from the blue, I have just realized, in contradiction to all I have continually said, Dhiren is losing his language......with my husband, living with it 24/7, I have missed the writing on the wall......Why didn`t I see it?

Because it's very hard to notice these things when living it 24/7. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Love,

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Eureka!!! Like a bolt from the blue, I have just realized, in contradiction to all I have continually said, Dhiren is losing his language. I have been so naive.

Gosh Sylvia .... your post struck ME like a bolt ..... You may feel naive but I feel dumb!!!!! Zonkjonk ....the repeated 'stock phrases' which have been going on for literally YEARS .... :( I used to think it was just irritating (like people get into saying things out of pure habit) - now I feel I've missed yet another early clue and certainly not something I have ever reported to medics - could it affect/have affected her diagnosis? But then would it really make much difference? :(

Karen, x

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Interesting the comments about Dementia suffers not liking computers, but I suppose that goes for all new technology - perhaps they see it as a threat? Having said that my father in law in 64 going on 90 odd and is a complete technophoeb, there's a complete unwillingness to embrace it, took us ages to persuade him to get a mobile phone and even now he rarely uses it. Trying to get him to do basic computer course for the beginner by saying that his grandson would be impressed if he did! Still he has booked swimming lessons when he retires - he doesn't have dementia he's just stuck in the mud. Dementia can eccentuate people's ways and habits - noticed it with Nan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
To the Relative`s Support Group today........alone.

I spoke to the OT who is coming on Monday to discuss where to place grab rails by our new bath. She knows Dhiren from the memory Clinic.

Dhiren will be perfectly happy to discuss his physical difficulties with her.

Once she has been welcomed into the home, steps will be taken to bring in a different CPN, one with a bit more tact and diplomacy than the first one.

And then there is talk of another carer`s assessment, possibly a care package, perhaps a care manager...........I have been encouraged so much this morning, eveyone is really trying to understand and I am grateful.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done, Sylvia.

That sounds much more positive. People have actually listened and understood the problem, and are prepared to try to work round it.

Let's hope you get that package soon.

Love,

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia,
If the carers understand that they have to act in terms of Dhiren's physical disabilities, that will be so much easier for you. Since you have a bad back also, can't you use that as an excuse also? Surely the carers must understand that with AD, we must often skirt the truth. Your back is real, not a lie, so in a roundabout way they are there for you too, since the stress cannot be helping your back.
Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Hazel and Joanne.

Joanne, I had forgotten about my back....I only remember when I bend. Thank you for reminding me. :)

Some things are done by force of habit. When I help Dhiren with his socks, I always get a chair and sit down to do it, otherwise I`m in trouble. It is second nature now and I forget it`s worth a mention.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He has been tired all day, napping by the fire, cold....needing the heating on, depressed, being fed up of feeling this way. He asked to see the doctor, has taken no interest in anything, from getting up this morning until just now.

He made me a cup of tea.
S `Look at you, you look so much better. You feel better now don`t you?`
D `I`m all right now.`
S `This is the first time today, I`ve seen a smile on your face. I thought you were going to miss the match tonight, the way you were. And now you`re smiling. What a pleasure.`
D `Would you like to go to Manchester one day?`
S `Of course I would. When shall we go?`
D `You decide.`
S `You will have to be well first. The last time we went to Manchester you ran away from me and were lost for 4 hours. I had to get the police to help me find you.`
D `I don`t remember that. I should never run away from you. It`s cruel.`
S `Well you did and it was very worrying.`
D `It won`t happen again. We`ll just go shopping and then come home.`
S `What would you like to buy?`
D `Some Indian sweets.`
S `IT`s a long journey just to buy sweets, six hours on the train.`
D `Six hours there and back?`
S `No. Six hours there and another six hours back.`
D `It too much. We`ll leave it then.`
S `It`s all right, we`ll stay overnight. We`ll go, buy the sweets, stay in a hotel overnight and come home the next day.`
D `I`d like that.`
......and now he`s bringing the washing in.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sylvia, just a thought, but do any of the towns round about have an Indian supermarket? Dhiren might enjoy having a browse.

I know my Indian DIL, who lives in Harrow, goes to one, but I think it's maybe in London. I could ask her, if you think it's a good idea.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel.

I think it would be worth a trip to London, just to try. If your DIL knows of anywhere I would be grateful.

I do think he`s thinking of Cheetham Hill and Wilmslow Road though, in Manchester. London would also be strange. But certainly a good second best. :)

Would you pine for haggis if you left Scotland? ;)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s definitely sundowning.

I`ve been trying to distract him, by talking to him about our scruffy next door neighbour whose uncontrollable weeds are spreading into all his neighbour`s gardens. Dhiren responded with another query about Manchester.

I asked him if we should go to find some Indian shops in London, because it`s nearer, and he said he likes Manchester.

But if you do hear from Hema, Hazel, I`d still like to know. The shops might do Mail Order.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
D `Can I get my pension anywhere?`
S `Yes.`
D `I`ve got to get away from here. I`ve got to go.`
S `When you have an address, I will help you change your pension.`
D `OH. An address? My brother has a shop, but i don`t know the address.`
S `I will help you to find it then write to the pensions office.`
D `I can`t wait for that. I`ll put a few things in a suitcase and go. I`ve got my pink card. No-one can refuse me my pension with this card. I`ve got my driving licence. I can go anywhere. I can`t stay here. I am going mental here. I can`t sleep at night. I have to get away. This place is driving me mad.`
S `If you just wait till it`s warmer, I will come with you.`
D `Do you mean it?`
S `Of course. But it`s too cold.`
D `Where do you come from?`
S `Manchester.`
D `You too? I didn`t know that. What part?`
S `Manchester.`
D `Manchester is a big place. Which part of Manchester?`
S `Prestwich.`
D `I know Prestwich. I used to go to the market there. My brother has a shop there.`

Status
Not open for further replies.