Sorry, moaning again

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
On Wednesday I was feeling quite smug. I had enjoyed a nice massage, we had been out for fresh air and sunshine on Monday. Then the incontinence came back with a vengeance, three nights in a row and twice on Thursday night. The best pads and pull up pants just don't seem to stop it at the moment. Of course, I was so stressed and tired changing sheets and trying to get them dried between showers it only occurred to me now that OH may have a UTI. I also got a little upset and fed up with the referendum and everything around that. That will teach me to focus on what's important and what I can change. Then I thought I would be clever and get some laundry cleanser and fresh pads from the huge warehouse 24 hour supermarket, but they have everything but what I wanted, so had to wait for the other one to open.

Enough whinging and self pity, roll on monday when we can get a sample in to the surgery and check for a UTI.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Call out of hours, that's what they're there for on a weekend. I've been given antibiotics before on description of UTI symptoms alone.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
That was hard work, but we got an out of hours appointment. :)

Bit late now Rob, but just to let you know that when Nick had a UTI out of hours I phoned 111 and eventually spoke to a doctor who was happy to fax a prescription through to a duty chemist. I keep urine analysis strips in just in case, and although my GP doesn't like me to use them I still find it useful and the OOH doctor accepted a positive result from that as evidence. MY GP has now written an emergency prescription for me to keep in the house. You can buy the urine analysis strips online cheaper than the chemist.
Hope Christl is feeling better and you are both getting more rest.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And to save (some) laundry - I always kept a waterproof bed protector (kylie sheet) on the bed under William. I used a single size, and put it lengthways - with the "wings", one under his feet and one under the pillow at his head. Just when you wash them, make sure you don't use any fabric softener - one TP user found they weren't absorbing liquid, it was running off them - and when I mentioned fabric softener, she found her detergent was the "two in one" type with fabric softener added to it! Fabric softener will prevent the kylie sheets from absorbing liquid. Using the kylie sheet under William meant that if his pads leaked, I just had to remove the kylie sheet and put a new one on - I didn't have to change the bed sheets during the night. Protected the mattress too.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Bit late now Rob, but just to let you know that when Nick had a UTI out of hours I phoned 111 and eventually spoke to a doctor who was happy to fax a prescription through to a duty chemist. I keep urine analysis strips in just in case, and although my GP doesn't like me to use them I still find it useful and the OOH doctor accepted a positive result from that as evidence. MY GP has now written an emergency prescription for me to keep in the house. You can buy the urine analysis strips online cheaper than the chemist.
Hope Christl is feeling better and you are both getting more rest.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Interesting, thanks Es. I didn't know you could buy those strips, will definitely track some down in a minute. Even if GP won't accept it, they make you wait 4 hours for a call back and another 3 while the nurse analyses it at the surgery so may speed thing up. :) Sorry Nick is still prone to UTIs.
Got your PM, will reply separately. All the best to you both, Rob

Thanks to Lady A, never thought you could use a single Kylie sheet on a double bed. That's another useful avenue to explore. I never use fabric softener anyway, so that's no problem. All the best.

Last edited:

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Interesting, thanks Es. I didn't know you could buy those strips, will definitely track some down in a minute. Even if GP won't accept it, they make you wait 4 hours for a call back and another 3 while the nurse analyses it at the surgery so may speed thing up. :) Sorry Nick is still prone to UTIs.
Got your PM, will reply separately. All the best to you both, Rob

Thanks to Lady A, never thought you could use a single Kylie sheet on a double bed. That's another useful avenue to explore. I never use fabric softener anyway, so that's no problem. All the best.

Hi Rob. I use Kylie sheets with flaps for Stan. At night I have one across and one down, under him, and usually only have the top one wet, to wash. I also put a pad on him, covered by one of the slips ( T type diaper ) I find these keep the pad in place better than pull-ups, which tend to move about during the night.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Rob. I use Kylie sheets with flaps for Stan. At night I have one across and one down, under him, and usually only have the top one wet, to wash. I also put a pad on him, covered by one of the slips ( T type diaper ) I find these keep the pad in place better than pull-ups, which tend to move about during the night.

Is that the one that looks like a pad, but fastens with Velcro, Mal. The pull ups were working well until last night and the square washable protector from Boots worked first time, then it all runs off and i didn't even use fabric conditioner. I will get on T'internet later and order kylie sheets and dip testers. Thanks.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning

Rob , sorry too read Christl has had a UTI :( & hope she is feeling a lot better & you are both having a good nights sleep etc Please ignore if you use the NHS Products for Christl ( Pull Ups etc) But Age Uk do lots of good products that you might find helpful ( day & night time) & I think ? the prices are fair also Hope that helps ! :)

Warning tho last time I tried too find the correct page** on the Age Uk Online it took a lot of faffing about :mad: Sorry !

All the best too you both

Grove x x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Grove. The Age UK ones didn't appeal, but the Co - Op options looked good . It's all ordered now along with the UTI strips and a booster cushion for the chair. So, hopefully we are all ready for the next onslaught. :)

Thanks again everybody.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Good Evening

Thanks Grove. The Age UK ones didn't appeal, but the Co - Op options looked good . It's all ordered now along with the UTI strips and a booster cushion for the chair. So, hopefully we are all ready for the next onslaught. :)

Thanks again everybody.

Rob & glad you have found some products that will help :) & you are welcome for the Age Uk Link* ( even if they did not appeal ) Think ? some times you have too look at various *Shops* etc before you find some thing suitable ! The booster Cushion sounds very useful !

Hope you both have a good night

Grove x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Have a good night, Grove. How are you doing?

Thank you Rob , have been working today ( Catering Assistant at a NH) Only 2 half hours > Serving out the Tea & Washing up :mad::) ! Shift ends at 6.30 but it's the traveling time on the Buses that means I arrive Home later than if I was able too drive ( if that makes sense ! ? ) had a good evening thanks > watched a enjoyable Programme on Which breed of Dog was the nations favourite :) Labs Won ! ( It was out of 10 most popular breeds )

Am Okay thank you > have been able too encourage Mum too go Wedding Dress Shopping** :) on her own tomorrow & I am spending the afternoon with Dad ( Mum bought 1 dress but is not sure about it & only had 1 chance too look & buy in 1 Shop the other day & she also has too swap Dad's new trousers for black rather than dark navy that looked like black ! ) It will be a lot easier for her too go on her own as sadly :( Dad's walking is not very good these days > next Job is too apply for a Blue Badge ( Mum is able too drive but sadly I am a non driver ! ) Mum is going too another Chain store & see if they have any Wedding Outfits that she prefers rather than the dress she bought the other day

Family Wedding :) end of July

Hope you both have a good evening

Grove x