DS1500 form for terminal illness

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Anybody come across this before? Mum is considered to be on end of life care and we are keeping her at home. Today GP said he will complete this form which will be a weekly benefit to help pay towards care. I have read somewhere that this automatically makes care at home free. We were going through CHC process but wonder I f this is necessary now? Been fighting for couple more care visits so hopefully this paperwork will change things. We are not self funding.

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
Ds1500 is a form to help the disabled person claim attendance allowance, and in turn the carer may be able to claim carers for caring for the disabled person. Hope this helps.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Anybody come across this before? Mum is considered to be on end of life care and we are keeping her at home. Today GP said he will complete this form which will be a weekly benefit to help pay towards care. I have read somewhere that this automatically makes care at home free. We were going through CHC process but wonder I f this is necessary now? Been fighting for couple more care visits so hopefully this paperwork will change things. We are not self funding.

Hi - if your mother is considered to require end of life or palliative care by the docs (ie a rapidly deteriorating condition) then Fast Track funding should be applied for from your Clinical Commissioning group. Your GP will know about this and how to apply - or your district nurse. If awarded then all care will be paid for by the NHS. If you google Continuing Health Care Fast Track Funding you should find the details. As has been said, the other form your GP was talking about is completely separate and will pay either Attendance Allowance or PIP under the Special Rules.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Hi - if your mother is considered to require end of life or palliative care by the docs (ie a rapidly deteriorating condition) then Fast Track funding should be applied for from your Clinical Commissioning group. Your GP will know about this and how to apply - or your district nurse. If awarded then all care will be paid for by the NHS. If you google Continuing Health Care Fast Track Funding you should find the details. As has been said, the other form your GP was talking about is completely separate and will pay either Attendance Allowance or PIP under the Special Rules.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Actually not sure (if mum is awarded Fast Track CHC funding) if she would be able to.get AA or PIP under Special Rules? Someone will know hopefully but I do know that once Fast Track is applied for it should only take 48 hrs for a decision to be reaxhef by the CCG.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Actually not sure (if mum is awarded Fast Track CHC funding) if she would be able to.get AA or PIP under Special Rules? Someone will know hopefully but I do know that once Fast Track is applied for it should only take 48 hrs for a decision to be reaxhef by the CCG.

I have found the answer! If your mum is to remain in her own home for the Continuing Healthcare package (if granted) then she will be able to claim Attendance Allowance under the Special Rules. However, if she were to get CHC funding in a care home, then the Attendance Allowance (whether or not under Special rules) cannot be claimed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"If your mum is to remain in her own home for the Continuing Healthcare package (if granted) then she will be able to claim Attendance Allowance under the Special Rules."

To clarify, receipt of CHC whilst still living in your own home does not affect any DWP benefit that you can claim or are receiving. Unlike CHC in a care home, or inpatient in hospital, the NHS is only funding the medical care.

This in turn means that a person can also claim Carer's Allowance using AA or another qualifying benefit as part of the entitlement.