Help....care home fees question

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Hi

My mum is in a care home and I was under the impression it was going to be funded by the LA.

Mum has approximately £20k savings, get £269 per month private pension plus £111 per week state pension. She was in receipt of DLA also but since in care home this has stopped, not sure if care home receive this. Anyhow, I have received an invoice from the LA for £1892 for care home feed for the month.....I'm confused and upset as she had also been paying carers fees when she was at home too. Can anyone advise, I just don't understand the finance side of things

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
HI kazza,
Is this your mum's first month in a care home? My mum is funded but the local authority sent me a bill for nearly 2000 pounds at the end of her first month in error. It takes a while for things to register on various systems. Don't panic and phone them on Tuesday morning.

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
You are not alone! I burst into tears when I received the invoice. I felt like I battled the whole way from asking for a mental health assessment, through sectioning, psychiatric hospital for 9 months, being physically attacked by my own mother, confusion about which care homes she could go into, visiting 12 homes and finally finding one that I didn't hate, etc etc. it honestly felt like a war I was fighting and all the time going through the loss in of my real mum. The invoice was just the last straw. I am sure once you speak to someone you will feel a lot better but it just feels like the final slap,I'm the face. Since that phone call I haven't had to worry so hopefully it will be the same for you. X

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Assuming your figures are correct, for a 4 week month your mother will be expected to pay (269+4x111+92-99.60) £705.40 This is her private pension + 4 weeks of state pension + 4 weeks of tariff income on her savings - 4 weeks of personal expense allowance of 24.90

But that should be it. However, I should ask - has your mother had a financial assessment yet? Because that can make a difference initially.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
My mum is in a care home and I was under the impression it was going to be funded by the LA.
Although the LA should be funding it they will still want all your Mum's pensions to go towards it. As her deputy they will obviously send the bill to you.

The total could be a mistake but are you sure it is for a month as my LA work it out weekly? From what your Mum's pensions come to the total should cover 10/11 weeks.

:)

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
It's definitely for the month. I know her pensions will go towards paying for it, but her pensions do not total 1800 per month hence why I am confused

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Could someone clarify for me. If the LA are funding a bed then they pay for example 500 a week; when people pay from their pensions etc does this go to the LA - not to a higher cost that a self funder would be charged? ie it comes off the 500 that the LA are paying. Is that correct?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, that is correct. It goes to partially reimburse the LA for the money they are paying, and as such, should be remitted to the LA rather than the care home.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Assuming your figures are correct, for a 4 week month your mother will be expected to pay (269+4x111+92-99.60) £705.40 This is her private pension + 4 weeks of state pension + 4 weeks of tariff income on her savings - 4 weeks of personal expense allowance of 24.90

But that should be it. However, I should ask - has your mother had a financial assessment yet? Because that can make a difference initially.

Do you know what the LA's rate is for paying a care home? If your mothers contribution is assessed to be £705.40 a month this is £176.35 a week, and the LA would pay the rest up to their limit.

The invoice from the LA is for £1,892 for the month which works out as £473 a week, which should be within the LA's budget, assuming their limit is £500 a week, although this day and age most care homes charge double that. Maybe the invoice was just for your information.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
I thought the LA paid the full cost of care in a hone for 12 weeks,
Have you applied for continuing health care, if sucessful nhs pay fees in full.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I thought the LA paid the full cost of care in a hone for 12 weeks,

Only if there is a home to sell, and even then it's not the full cost. It just means they don't count your property as an asset: you still have to pay your pensions etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins