Female advice

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
My wife has got a bad attack of garden bird again with a lot of soreness and she has a UTI and is on antibiotics.
The Dr has prescribed HRT cream which we have used for 3 days but it has not stopped my wife scratching overnight leading to blood in pants.
I can stop her during the day and I have tried to get her to put on cotton gloves overnight bu she takes them off.
Any advice will be welcome.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I hope someone can offer some advice. I do know that there is a treatment in oral tablet form, maybe the GP could provide that, or, messy but soothing, Live natural Yogurt applied liberally ( could be tricky though!) good luck

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is a cream which together with a tablet of the same name is supposed to be effective. Natural yoghurt again is often recommended .

I hope you find a solution. Your doctor is the best bet. Keep going if his prescription doesn`t work.

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Hi, I take antibiotics my self all of the time and suffer from this pesky garden bird!

I can highly recommend the live yoghurt as it is cooling and takes some of the 'heat' out of this problem. If this isn't possible pop to the Chemist and ask for the cream/tablet or pessary, again the cream has an immediate soothing effect so will offer your wife some relief.

Hope things clear up soon for your wife and sending her hugs.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
That is the 'garden bird' that is referred to. The yeast infection is known as 'thrush' in the UK!

I remember when the first "garden bird" post appeared, and I sat for ages thinking robin, lark, nightingale etc, but was relieved when we got the answer. You're such a caring husband, and I hope you find a solution xxx

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
Thank you all for your advice.
Any advice how I can stop my wife scratching in bed through the night would help.
I tried cotton gloves but that didn't work and Itryto keep finger nails short.
Is HRT cream safe?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Is HRT cream safe?"

With my post menopausal wife it increased the endometrial thickness from 3mm to 11mm and was stopped. The endometrium is the lining of the uterus, if thick it increases the risk of endometrial cancer.

All medications have side effects, it's always a balance of pros and cons.

Ask her GP if you have any concerns.

EDIT
Have you spoken to the GP about the itching, paracetamol may help a bit.

Last edited:

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Correct me if I am wrong. The 'bird' means a fungal attack on her 'garden'?

I remember phoning my GP in despair. If she is on cream for 3 days and she still itching, talk to GP again, cream is not working fast enough.

The problem is any anti itching idea may interfere with cream and work against it.

Editing. Just thinking about it made me feel itchy.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Correct me if I am wrong. The 'bird' means a fungal attack on her 'garden'?"

The bird refers to a thrush infection - fungal infection.
I think thrush originates from the appearance of the tongue in a case of oral thrush.

come-prevenire-la-candidosi-orale_6ddc3eb9ed490619f832f02b4497f2b6.jpg

It is thought to resemble the breast of a thrush

7585.Song--Thrush.jpg

Last edited:

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
My wife has got a bad attack of garden bird again with a lot of soreness and she has a UTI and is on antibiotics.
The Dr has prescribed HRT cream which we have used for 3 days but it has not stopped my wife scratching overnight leading to blood in pants.
I can stop her during the day and I have tried to get her to put on cotton gloves overnight bu she takes them off.
Any advice will be welcome.

Hi Del,

Contact doctor again. I think a cream called lanacane might work but please check with doctor as people can be allergic to different things as you know. Doc needs to know that HRT is not working.

Just an idea... Would your wife wear soft cotton socks to keep her feet cosy? Then maybe she might wear the soft cotton gloves? Maybe if you wore a pair of gloves?

Please talk to the doctor.

Aisling

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I wondered if Lanacane might work, but having checked various websites it's for external vaginal itching only. That said, it might give your wife some relief.

Suggest you ring your GP, or make a same day appointment, before buying anything. If you can't contact the GP is there a practice nurse you can see who can prescribe? At least with natural yoghurt if it doesn't work you can eat it.:)

I do hope your wife gets over the garden bird and the UTI soon.

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Thank you all for your advice.
Any advice how I can stop my wife scratching in bed through the night would help.
I tried cotton gloves but that didn't work and Itryto keep finger nails short.
Is HRT cream safe?

Hi Del24, I have been thinking about your situation and how uncomfortable your wife must be feeling. I was wondering, if she wears a nightdress why not consider putting her in some Pyjamas, either a two piece or all in one. The latter may not be great if she is in a rush to go to the bathroom.

Just a thought and hope it may help the situation.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. Tbh I can't see HRT cream would be any food for treating vaginal thrush.
I find Canesten cream combi internal and external cream easy to use , they also do other things to treat it .
I'd make an appointment to speak to the GP to get the right treatment for vaginal thrush. you can also buy it from a chemist and some supermarkets but it's not cheap.
In the meantime applying plain live yogurt does help.

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
The HRT cream should thicken the vaginal tissue and make it less sensitive to infections (yeast and bacteria). However, it will not, in itself treat the thrush.

If you do decide to put your wife into pj's at night, please make sure they are cotton and loose fitting - anything synthetic/tight fitting will risk making the yeast worse.