My Positive friends.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi everyone haven't been on for some time, and I am only now able to tell you what has happened..

I was called to the hospital on Sunday 24th April. My brother had been unwell that morning vomiting, which unfortunately went into his lungs and he was unable to breath on his own. They rushed him to CCU, placed him into an induced sleep and attached him to machines supplying medication. We were obviously in shock, but, were optimistic he would fight back as he had done previous times.

I was called again early Wednesday morning, telling me he was not good and the family should be called. We spent the day with him, and left at 5pm only for me to get another call at 6pm to go back to the hospital. We were told by the Doctor that he was already on the highest doses of meds, and even if he had a heart attack they would be unable to supply anything else to help. He therefore wanted us to approve him having the meds stopped. As each medication finished, it was not refreshed, the final one ended, and, he passed peacefully 15 minutes later.

The funeral service was on Monday (9th) I think he would have been pleased with the one we arranged for him. A really true Elvis fan, we started with 'I Believe'. followed by a reading from John 4 1-6. My brother did the Eulogy of us growing up together, and I read 'Footprints'. One of his favourites. The organist played 'To be a Pilgrim' as we all placed red roses on his coffin. The service continued with The Lord's Prayer, The committal and final prayers, then 'Abide with me'. Finishing with a final Elvis song If I Can Dream.

The flowers were lovely, I had a motorbike, my daughter a helmet, to celebrate his motorbike days at the Ace Café. My brother and I had a coffin wreath of Red Roses. white lilies and gyp, it was beautiful. One of his name from my brother. Uncle from my daughter in Florida, Pillows, and others from Family and Friends. So pleased he had everyone there with him for his final journey.

Our final thing to do for him will be another service next week, to have the casket of his ashes, interred in the grave of our parents, which he always wanted.

I am now clearing his flat, which is upsetting. Completely devastated. It has all happened so quickly. Still trying to get our heads around it. I thought we had many more years together.

M xxx

Last edited:

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Oh my dear mal, I am so sorry to read about your brother and send much love and sympathy to you and all the family. Time will heal and you will have all the memories that can never be taken away. Much love, Diana xxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi everyone haven't been on for some time, and I am only now able to tell you what has happened..

I was called to the hospital on Sunday 24th April. My brother had been unwell that morning vomiting, which unfortunately went into his lungs and he was unable to breath on his own. They rushed him to CCU, placed him into an induced sleep and attached him to machines supplying medication. We were obviously in shock, but, were optimistic he would fight back as he had done previous times.

I was called again early Wednesday morning, telling me he was not good and the family should be called. We spent the day with him, and left at 5pm only for me to get another call at 6pm to go back to the hospital. We were told by the Doctor that he was already on the highest doses of meds, and even if he had a heart attack they would be unable to supply anything else to help. He therefore wanted us to approve him having the meds stopped. As each medication finished, it was not refreshed, the final one ended, and, he passed peacefully 15 minutes later.

The funeral service was on Monday (9th) I think he would have been pleased with the one we arranged for him. A really true Elvis fan, we started with 'I Believe'. followed by a reading from John 4 1-6. My brother did the Eulogy of us growing up together, and I read 'Footprints'. One of his favourites. The organist played 'To be a Pilgrim' as we all placed red roses on his coffin. The service continued with The Lord's Prayer, The committal and final prayers, then 'Abide with me'. Finishing with a final Elvis song If I Can Dream.

The flowers were lovely, I had a motorbike, my daughter a helmet, to celebrate his motorbike days at the Ace Café. My brother and I had a coffin wreath of Red Roses. white lilies and gyp, it was beautiful. One of his name from my brother. Uncle from my daughter in Florida, Pillows, and others from Family and Friends. So pleased he had everyone there with him for his final journey.

Our final thing to do for him will be another service next week, to have the casket of his ashes, interred in the grave of our parents, which he always wanted.

I am now clearing his flat, which is upsetting. Completely devastated. It has all happened so quickly. Still trying to get our heads around it. I thought we had many more years together.

M xxx

Mal the service must have been sad yet lovely. Sorry you are upset having to clear the flat. Holding you hand while you are doing it. Heartfelt hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
So sorry to hear of your sad loss. What an amazingly personal and truly thought out funeral service. It's horrible clearing out personal belongings xxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Mal I am so sorry. Must have been such a shock. I'm glad the funeral was as you wanted. Courage for dealing with the ongoing reminders. xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Mal - I am sorry to hear of your brother, I know you worked hard to look after him well. Sounds like you gave him a really good send off. JMxxx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I am so sorry to learn of the loss of your brother, Mal. You have been so supportive of him, even with all you need to do at home for Stan, you were there for him.
It will be a comfort to know he passed peacefully, and all the family were able to give tributes to him, even those who could not be there in person. The service sounds so well thought out, and all this will give you comfort I know.
It is a very sad task to remove the belongings of someone so close to you who left you sooner than expected, and you have my fullest sympathy, both for your loss, and for the difficult time ahead.
xxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Goodness me, Mal. What a shock, darling. My hubby used to go with his pals to the Ace when they all decided to have a biker's jolly over there, many years ago. That didn't half strike a chord with me.

You did all you could for your brother. Worked hard to keep his flat clean and tidy. I hope things start to ease for you.

I had a phone call of the not so nice kind earlier today myself, so am with you in spirit. Much love to you, Mal.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So very sorry to read your post Mal. The loss of your brother must leave a big hole in your life, and it must have been a shock to lose him so unexpectedly early. He was very fortunate to have you as a sister to look out for him.
The funeral sounds as though it was perfect, it's so important to get it right isn't it and it is a comfort when it is.
Sorry you have the very sad job of cleaning out his flat. I hope you have some help with this, it's such an emotional journey to have to go through.
Sending you a lot of love and a big hug. Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry to hear your news, Mal and how awful that it should happen do suddenly. Such a shock for you all. It sounds as tho you arranged an amazing funeral, just as he would have wanted. Now take care of yourself. Loving hugs. xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Sending you my sincere condolenses, l am an Elvis fan well done Mal the funeral sounds as though you did exactly what your brother would have wanted.

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Condolences to you. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app