Why didn`t I know?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday I phoned Volcare.

I wanted to know if they had any Indian carers, who could be introduced to my husband as friends I had met at the support group.
It was unlikely, but not impossible, and the person I spoke to was very cooperative and promised to make enquiries.
She wasn`t too keen on the `friend` aspect though. It is a health and safety proviso that people entering homes should do so on a professional footing.
I find that acceptable.

We chatted. This person was a communicator.
During our chat she mentioned Crossroads. I was told, for the first time I`m sure, that with Crossroads I can self assess. There is no need for a visit, no need for my husband to be involved, I can fill in a form with all our details and send it off. As the waiting list for Croosroads is long, the sooner I get on their books, the better.

How come I`ve missed out on this information? Do I have my head in the sand? All the time I`ve heard and seen information about Crossroads, not once do I recall learning I could self assess.

Considering the contacts I have, I find it unbelieveable that I should have missed out on such an important piece of information.

Communication, communication, communication. :eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do you think it might be that because there is such pressure on these services that they have changed the "rules"? The other thing is: I'm not sure they're consistent across the country.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Both points are possible jennifer, but Crossroads has been mentioned to me by the OTs and Consultant I`m in contact with and by the AS Facilitator of our local support group.

They all know my difficulty with Dhiren refusing to have anyone in the house, and yet have failed to mention this self assessment.

I`m not cross, or apportioning blame. I`m just being made more aware than ever of the value of good communication.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sylvia, I suspect this varies from area to area. Certainly in our area, they have a contract with SS, and only operate through that.

We've had other posters who've approached Crossroads direct, and have been told they can't help without a referral.

If your area operates a self-assessment policy, I'd get on the books as soon as possible, I can't recommend them highly enough

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia,
What a shock! You are not omniscient!! I can't believe it.

I find it odd that a carer entering the home has to do so on a professional basis, at least I find it odd for AD patients. We have so many problems getting help that our loved ones will agree to, one would think the professionals would understand this in these cases and do the sensible thing.

Here the Alzheimer Society has what they call "Friendly Visitors". These are volunteers who spend a few hours a week, normally an afternoon. They are vetted by the Society & have a background check done by the police. What is looked for is someone with a similar background and interests. My mother had a wonderful woman who gardened & had many of the same interests. It worked very well for us.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Here the Alzheimer Society has what they call "Friendly Visitors". These are volunteers who spend a few hours a week, normally an afternoon. They are vetted by the Society & have a background check done by the police. What is looked for is someone with a similar background and interests.

That's exactly how Crossroads operate here, Joanne. Professional in that they are carefully vetted, and it is a paid job, but they don't wear uniform, or sign in ir out, they just come in as friends.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Skye
That's exactly how Crossroads operate here, Joanne.

I didn't know that & now I do. Thank you Hazel.:)

So, is Volcare a voluntary agency? (based on the name). I still feel that the best way to work with AD patients is to lie your face off, say whatever is required to keep stress & agitation levels down. I often feel the professionals know far less about the disease than those of us carrying on day by day.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So, is Volcare a voluntary agency?

Volcare is a registered charity funded by Social Serices.
There is no charge to Carers for the service but donations........are gratefully received.
Volcare is registered with the CSCI........ and subject to inspection.

The people who help are Community Service Volunteers. [CVS]

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
So we can't add mind reader to your many talents then?;)

We have Crossroads and it was actually our local Alz Branch that put them in touch with me...I am very grateful that they did as the lady we have is wonderful.

Hope you are helped very soon.

Linda x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Linda. You`ll be the first to know. ;)

I suppose there are Local AS Branches and Local AS Branches. :)

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi Sylvia

I contacted Crossroads, and they did say I can self assess.

From what I read, I could see no difference between them and the care agencies I spoke to. In fact, Crossroads was more expensive than a few of them!

I don't live a million miles from you (Ashford) and I have to say the care agency I am using is brilliant. They understand exactly what I need them for i.e. just to give Dad a reason to be home and not go off on jaunts. They know he thinks they are cleaners, and were happy to deal with him the way I asked them to. They are £9.85/hour. Dad is self funding, but they are also an agency that is approved by SS so direct payments can be used for them aswell.

Beverley x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Beverley.

Perhaps you could PM me the Name of the Agency and I`ll see if they have a local office.

It`ll do no harm to find out as much about everything as I can.

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Crossroads here came to do an assessment before I went onto their waiting list.

Now have a charming lady once a week and Dee has really taken to her. There is no charge for her caring. It is not asked for but donations are truly appreciated.

Crossroads is a marvellous organisation and everyone here speaks v highly of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6