Dad coughing/ choking thru every meal- ?? Is this end stages?

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Every meal, my poor wee dad coughs/ chokes.. He still wants to eat his dinner, puréed diet/ fluids thickened. But every meal in last week has been a horrific ordeal- BUT, he still wants to keep eating, regardless. Mentally, he's very tired, but can be very lucid, and make appropriate responses when I'm chatting to him, shuffles when he's walking, and stares at me for long periods for no reason. I'm at a loss.. What's going on?? Every night, I'm expecting phone to ring from care home, as I can't believe all this choking can't lead to yet another pneumonia :-( .. It doesn't seem like normal Alzheimer's progression, his physical health seems worse than his mental health just now. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If this hasn't been done yet, I suggest an urgent referral to the SALT (speech and language therapy) team. They deal with eating, drinking and swallowing problems.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
If this hasn't been done yet, I suggest an urgent referral to the SALT (speech and language therapy) team. They deal with eating, drinking and swallowing problems.

Thank u, he had pneumonia in dec and January, was assessed at hospital as needing puréed diet, thickened fluids.. Now doesn't seem to be able to manage them? ..

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank u, he had pneumonia in dec and January, was assessed at hospital as needing puréed diet, thickened fluids.. Now doesn't seem to be able to manage them? ..

It sounds like he's seen a member of the SALT team but it also sounds like he needs to be reviewed. I would contact your GP on Monday and ask for this as a matter of urgency.

My husband us still on an ordinary diet but he coughs and splutters a lot while he's eating. Sometimes he becomes quite distressed. I do think it is a common part of dementia but it needs to be looked at.

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Alzheimer's can cause loss of the swallow reflex. That could be what is happening in this case. We

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
These swallowing problems, before they became problems, did the person eat much slower than normal?
I ask because MiL is now eating slowly, no noticable difficulties, with chewing or swallowing at present.
Teeth all good, no reported mouth problems.
It's just slow eating, getting slower.

Bod

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
These swallowing problems, before they became problems, did the person eat much slower than normal?
I ask because MiL is now eating slowly, no noticable difficulties, with chewing or swallowing at present.
Teeth all good, no reported mouth problems.
It's just slow eating, getting slower.

Bod

Hi, dad was always slowest at dinner in the CH! His upper teeth were lost couple of months ago.. I dread to think where they are now :-/ The coughing and choking has got really bad in last few weeks, it's very distressing. Yet, dad hasn't got 'ill' as such..his diet is puréed since last hospital admission. I can't believe this choking/wheezing can go on without further infection, but what else can u do when diet is puréed and fluids now thickened???

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi, dad was always slowest at dinner in the CH! His upper teeth were lost couple of months ago.. I dread to think where they are now :-/ The coughing and choking has got really bad in last few weeks, it's very distressing. Yet, dad hasn't got 'ill' as such..his diet is puréed since last hospital admission. I can't believe this choking/wheezing can go on without further infection, but what else can u do when diet is puréed and fluids now thickened???

I can only suggest, watching him carefully, are certain foods worse than others, what does he enjoy?
Is he better sitting up, or slighty back, or even leaning forward?
Is he better spoon fed? (This is sometimes done better, by someone who has had children.)

Bod