Mother not eating

Mollygoose

Dec 19, 2014
Lincolnshire
My mother had alzhimers she is 90yrs Young ! She has hardly any memory left ! She lives just in the moment ! She has 4carers coming in every day and I go twice a day ! The trouble is now she has suddenly stopped wanting to eat or drink ! Has anyone had the same thing happen ?

Crag

Jan 3, 2015
Dad's been like this in hospital, and goes off food and drink for a couple of days, but starts again then.
There are also times when he stops talking too, but makes strange hand signals

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Always worth checking that there isn't a problem in her mouth - an abcess is enough to put anyone off eating. Also worth checking for a urinary infection although that would often throw up more symptoms like more confusion etc but always worth checking the physical .

If not a problem ask your doc for a boost drink like Ensure - asked for a mixed prescription and then ask the chemist what flavours you can have - there are LOADS and it is a quick way of getting 300 calories in
good luck x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
My mother had alzhimers she is 90yrs Young ! She has hardly any memory left ! She lives just in the moment ! She has 4carers coming in every day and I go twice a day ! The trouble is now she has suddenly stopped wanting to eat or drink ! Has anyone had the same thing happen ?

My mother, age 97, goes through this. Because she lives with me, I can offer her any range of things when she does this. She will typically repond favorably to packaged peaches or pears mashed up with thickener added. The thickener makes things go down more easily. She has dysphagia.

If your mother has difficulty swallowing, try a product called ThickIt, which comes in beverage form and as a dry powder.

To entice my mother into eating during the last few days, I have offered her the mashed fruit bowl; mashed potatoes and meat loaf (all sort of mashed up); and minced up ham and scrambled eggs (also minced), added to a tiny bit of macaroni and cheese (also minced) mixed together with a small bit of ThickIt liquid.

These are the products I am suggesting.
http://thickit.com/products/beverages/

One other thing is that my mother will eat for me sometimes when she refuses to eat for the carer. It's not the hired carer's fault. I think she needs reassurance that she is loved and we want her here with us. The sheer act of living takes it out of them.

Mollygoose

Dec 19, 2014
Lincolnshire
Eating

Mother still not eating so I have to sort of eat with her to persuade her to have a little ! Also same with drinks ! I got some lucozade also ! I am determined to build her up even though it is trial and error

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Mother still not eating so I have to sort of eat with her to persuade her to have a little ! Also same with drinks ! I got some lucozade also ! I am determined to build her up even though it is trial and error

O yes, trial and error - it's a game we play here, too! Good luck. Try things you know she used to love. And try to keep things soft and smooth. My mother is currently loving the cold pudding called Silk - a soy substitute for yogurt. There's a peach mango flavored one that she eats *fast*, even without her teeth (which she no longer seems to be able to wear).