Attendance Allowance?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Will get the application form downloaded and ask advice from age uk."

I don't know of a link to download the special shorten form to apply to move from lower to higher rate. You will be sent one if you ring in and ask.

Bay

Jul 24, 2014
Kent
OH was diagnosed three years ago and I've now asked Age UK to help to complete application form. As he is in complete denial that there is anything wrong with him and doesn't realise that I help in any way this is likely to be difficult. I have spoken to volunteer who advised me that the form needs to be signed by him unless I have LPA (which OH will never agree to and won't even discuss). Perhaps this is something that Age UK insist on?

I've therefore spoken to the volunteer on several occasions and he's going to complete most of the form before he visits us. We are then going to tell OH that it's a 'form for elderly people' to apply for extra help. I'm pretty sure that OH will not read through the form as he struggles with anything like that but am keeping my fingers crossed. Please think of us on Wednesday!

(After three years I still hate being dishonest but find it so difficult to deal with his complete denial to everybody, particularly when problems/questions arise at medical appointments. I suppose it will get easier when he deteriorates but on the other hand, obviously, don't want this to happen!)

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
That is something we could never have imagined. Thanks!

I made a claim before Xmas for AA. All I can say is get the paper version of the form, complete it as a none person ie not the claimant, not a carer and not as a relative. It will upset you, but it must be claimed. Once I had done this I realised that she needed an appointee so I signed the form on her behalf and ticked the box which said she was unaware of the claim. A visit from the benefits agency was arranged, confirmed mum could not act for herself, all benefits in my name for her now. Carers can be claimed once AA awarded by the person giving care so long as conditions are satisfied.
Don't be too ashamed be honest to yourself in doing the forms, if you or someone was not there what would the dementia patient do?
I see what you mean, but it is so complicated, I was stymied by the logic being so conflicted, and am grateful that you saw it through and made it happen. I will try likewise, walking in your footsteps.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
and all manner of things will be well

Thank you for your encouraging helpful tips and stance, everyone! Everyone is helpful, having this hard won wisdom they freely share, so that it is easier for the next. I am grateful for all of your responses.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I agree that applying for Attendance Allowance is a very strange experience. I filled the form in recently on my husbands behalf and it was difficult to keep in role. Fortunately my husband could understand what was written and was able to sign. I did have a phone call from the department to clarify a few points also pointing out that I should let them know when/if I register LPA. Higher rate was granted which I wasn't expecting. Can understand why many people on here recommend going to CAB for help with these forms.
Thanks for relaying your valuable experience. Good for you. I wonder, What is CAB? I am tempted to fill it out as a well-wisher, or at least, a would-be attorney, with the Lasting Power of Attorney being in the works.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Just a quick note - MIL is fiercely independent (still!) and in denial about her capabilities.
When the award letter arrived she had totally forgotten about the application and we went through the same conversation again. Now she doesn't remember what it was for and thinks it is related to the winter fuel payment:D
How brave and resourceful you are. Inspiring! I am pleased it all came right.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for relaying your valuable experience. Good for you. I wonder, What is CAB? I am tempted to fill it out as a well-wisher, or at least, a would-be attorney, with the Lasting Power of Attorney being in the works.

Age UK send someone round to help with the forms 0800 169 2081

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
Ha! I claim carers allowance as I had to give up my business (I was a driving instructor) to care for mum full time as we live with her. I now get £62 some odd per week but my mum also used to get pension credit of £58 weekly which really helped paying bills and food shopping. However they stopped this in December, the week before Christmas, great timing as usual! When I telephoned and queried why mums PC hadn't been paid in I was told by a jobs worth that now I claimed CA mum could no longer be paid PC! I was stunned. She told me to read the 'NOTES' that came with my letter. What letter? Oh its probably in the post. 3 weeks later I receive the letter informing us PC would be stopped! I just love the way they do things!!! The CA is for me, I still have bills to pay, diesel, car insurance how am I supposed to live with no money coming in. So how that payment impacts on mum I haven't a clue and its a bloody disgrace!!!!!:mad::mad:

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
This does not sound right to me. If your mum income is less than £151 she is entitled to pension credit to make her income up to that amount. If she is in receipt of carers allowance ( which she is not) then that would be taken from her not you. Please go and get some advice from cab on this.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/what-youll-get

Effects on the benefits of the person you care for
Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you care for, if they get a severe disability premium with any of these benefits:

income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income Support
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Housing Benefit
Their severe disability premium will stop if you get Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. If they get it, their additional Pension Credit (for severe disability) will also stop.

It can also affect their Council Tax reduction. Contact the local council of the person you care for to find out if this affects them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Pension credit is not in the list of affected benefits of the person cared for.

Effects on the benefits of the person you care for
Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you care for, if they get a severe disability premium with any of these benefits:

income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income Support
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Housing Benefit
Their severe disability premium will stop if you get Carer’s Allowance for looking after them. If they get it, their additional Pension Credit (for severe disability) will also stop.

It can also affect their Council Tax reduction. Contact the local council of the person you care for to find out if this affects them.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/what-youll-get

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
LOL. They do mention PC but only the additional one for severe disability. Unless that's the one she was getting I think you should challenge this.