Respite

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Please think of yourself and not your hubby, you need lots of rest to recover from caring for you hubby. I am just feeling better, after 5 months that my hubby has been in a care home, l just feel normal l am able to cope with life and make decision on what l need to do, without people telling me what to do all the time. Hope this helps you, take care

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
What a bummer to get the Dreaded Lurgy during your respite time, but at least you're able to rest, and go to bed when you want to, and not have to carry on caring (that would make a jolly film! ;)), whilst feeling awful.

As others have said, it takes a while to get over flu, and you mustn't be hard on yourself for not "doing" things. Just make the most of your remaining respite time, and rest as much as you can xxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
What a bummer to get the Dreaded Lurgy during your respite time, but at least you're able to rest, and go to bed when you want to, and not have to carry on caring (that would make a jolly film! ;)), whilst feeling awful.

As others have said, it takes a while to get over flu, and you mustn't be hard on yourself for not "doing" things. Just make the most of your remaining respite time, and rest as much as you can xxx

You are absolutely correct. Thank you.

Aisling

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aisling, I know the way it is - you were probably lucky to get your husband in somewhere for the week. Try and book another week or two, even if it seems to be a long way in advance. Respite places get booked up quickly. Maybe you could even pay privately for a few days respite with the Respite Grant, assuming you do get that Grant? I put off putting my husband in for respite for far too long, and it ended up with him being in respite four times in the six months before he went into full time care - twice on planned breaks and twice on emergency respite.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aisling, I know the way it is - you were probably lucky to get your husband in somewhere for the week. Try and book another week or two, even if it seems to be a long way in advance. Respite places get booked up quickly. Maybe you could even pay privately for a few days respite with the Respite Grant, assuming you do get that Grant? I put off putting my husband in for respite for far too long, and it ended up with him being in respite four times in the six months before he went into full time care - twice on planned breaks and twice on emergency respite.

Thank you so much. Have just realised you live in Ireland too! I must say I find our system frustrating and beyond understanding!!

Aisling

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thank you so much. Have just realised you live in Ireland too! I must say I find our system frustrating and beyond understanding!!

Aisling

But in many ways, it's simpler, in that almost everything is centralised. Like, you won't be dealing with what seems to be an unlimited number of authorities, agencies and services who don't communicate with each other! From my years on here, as frustrating as the delays and lack of support are here, once you get in the system, it's easier to track down what you need.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
But in many ways, it's simpler, in that almost everything is centralised. Like, you won't be dealing with what seems to be an unlimited number of authorities, agencies and services who don't communicate with each other! From my years on here, as frustrating as the delays and lack of support are here, once you get in the system, it's easier to track down what you need.

Thank you. I don't seem to understand the system here at all. Professionals contradicting each other or maybe I just confuse people!! Am thrilled to have respite, it is a blessing. I don't know how much respite we can have. It is means tested but affordable. The main agency tell me I need to sign up for fair deal.

I really appreciate your replies. Thank you.

Aisling

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
How are you feeling today Aisling? I do hope there's at least a bit of an improvement.

Thank you Stanley. Am beginning to feel human again. Pity about Ireland today but well done to France. Tim is getting on well in Respite. Smiling, cooperative and happy. I hope they give me the same man on Monday!! ( my wicked sense of humour again!)

Aisling

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Sweet respite.

But how are you feeling? Funny how we hold up fine til a rest for us comes along and then whammo.

Are you feeling any better?

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Sweet respite.

But how are you feeling? Funny how we hold up fine til a rest for us comes along and then whammo.

Are you feeling any better?

Thank you CJi. am beginning to feel human again! T coming home tomorrow so the big tidy up in progress with frequent coffee breaks!

Hugs from
Aisling

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone,

Update. T home from Respite yesterday. Thank you all for your great support. I engaged my wicked sense of humour today at times. Please know that I would never make fun of or laugh at anyone. I am also very careful re sharing my sense of humour with anyone except close friends. I have a weird sense of humour.

Why am I rambling on ......? Because I am really fearful that without thinking properly, I have used this awful sense of humour on TP. I sincerely apologise if I have upset someone.

Just had another thought!! You are all great so basically I am posting to friends.

Oh yeah, another thing about me. Hundreds of years ago I worked in Education and I ask questions!! The questions are not meant to be nosey. I ask them to enable the other person to maybe think more about stuff and it is supposed to help but my sister says it only confuses people!! If I am looking for something in a shop, she tells me to stay quiet and she will do the talking!

We have two cats, Stella , Cosmo and scooter our dog.

Am so glad that I found TP. You all keep me sane.

Thank you,

Aisling

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Nice post Aisling, and as far as I'm concerned you haven't said anything that anyone could possibly be upset by. Humour is about the only thing that gets us through sometimes, and your 'weird' sense of humour sounds creative and fun.
I hope you're really feeling better now. My son has gone down with the flu and it has floored him, some nasty bugs about.

Glad T settled down well in respite, hopefully you will be able to plan regular breaks. Hope he settles down at home.

Nice to 'meet' Stella, Cosmo and Scooter. We watched Supervet tonight. Lovely Irish man, always has us both in tears.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope things aren't too difficult post respite and that you're planning the next break? It's always good to have something to look forward to. Keep posting Aisling. xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point