Nice world we live in!

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
When I visited my mum today I read the newspaper to her choosing the "nice" things such as a famous person getting married or who won the lottery. She said " it's really good there's no more wars" I felt such a fraud when I agreed with her. She is mostly in a peaceful place and for that I am grateful!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
When I visited my mum today I read the newspaper to her choosing the "nice" things such as a famous person getting married or who won the lottery. She said " it's really good there's no more wars" I felt such a fraud when I agreed with her. She is mostly in a peaceful place and for that I am grateful!

I think that is beautiful and you are wonderful. Well done.

Aisling (Ireland)

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA

I agree with Aisling. Very well done. My mother is leaving us slowly but surely. She has no interest in politics, and they are quite wild here in the U.S. right now. She used to *live* and *breathe* the political news.

So nice for your mother that you are there to comfort her.

Elsie54

Feb 24, 2012
Cambridgeshire

Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job. Since my mum has had dementia I've reached the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with a few white lies. I'm getting more inventive every day i.e. "dad's out shopping", "mum is looking after the boys" or her sister is on holiday. Sadly they all passed years ago but as long as mum is content in her ignorance of the facts I consider that no harm is being done.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I occasionally read the paper to my MIL when she was terminally ill (she didn't actually have dementia). I used to pick out the nice stories, or the funny ones, anything that might stimulate a bit of conversation. No point in focussing on the gloomy things when there is nothing the PWD could do about them anyway!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024