other illnesses impacting on dementia

suze

Oct 12, 2006
Sussex
my husband, nearing 78 and diagnosed 3 years ago with Alzheimer's, currently has a flu-like illness. He is recovering slowly from that but it really seems to have had an impact on his dementia - he is so much more confused than before, cannot see objects in front of him and his balance seems shot to pieces. He finds it hard to get out of the sofa now and we had a heck of a game this morning trying to get him out of a bath!! Does anyone have experience of the level of dementia returning to 'normal' after the illness has passed?
Suze

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Sometimes its hard to say what is normal but for what it's worth John had a collapse in December after the flu jab and spent eight days in hospital. His discharge sheet said he was confused and delusional but he always is so what is illness and what is normal. He is at present at the same stage as he was before the illness so I guess everything levels out in time.

Not much help I'm afraid but hang on in there. Good wishes.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi suze
dad's had a bad cold before and what you describe is very similar to how he was - utterly knocked for six - he did rally afterwards and seemed pretty much as he had been - always hard to tell, isn't it, as sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary to happen to show us what we just didn't quite notice before - sorry not sure that makes sense
maybe leave having a bath until he's stronger, a good body wash with flannels was actually much less stressful for dad - and something he was used to as I remember he washed with flannels when I was young - the times of the weekly bath rather than the daily shower!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I think it varies person to person and stage of dementia. In the early days my Mum bounced back from infections. Now she is in the later stages of dementia each infection seems to make her deteriorate a little more.

I hope your OH perks up soon.
Love Quilty

suze

Oct 12, 2006
Sussex
thank you everyone. At least there is some hope that he can return to 'his normal'.....he is able to shower himself and dresses himself normally.....
I appreciate replies though....
Suze
xx

I think it varies person to person and stage of dementia. In the early days my Mum bounced back from infections. Now she is in the later stages of dementia each infection seems to make her deteriorate a little more.

I hope your OH perks up soon.
Love Quilty

suze

Oct 12, 2006
Sussex
thank you
x

hi suze
dad's had a bad cold before and what you describe is very similar to how he was - utterly knocked for six - he did rally afterwards and seemed pretty much as he had been - always hard to tell, isn't it, as sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary to happen to show us what we just didn't quite notice before - sorry not sure that makes sense
maybe leave having a bath until he's stronger, a good body wash with flannels was actually much less stressful for dad - and something he was used to as I remember he washed with flannels when I was young - the times of the weekly bath rather than the daily shower!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FutureMrsBrown