Dementia and Co-dydramol

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Me again I never post and having the worst weekend.
Dad had fractured vertebrae and he has had back pain now for 8 months.
Paracetamol, deep heat nothing helps so doctor gave him co-dydramol. Well he's felt sick, hallucinating, thinking I am on tv and now asking where he lives and when he goes into the army
Has anyone had similar reaction to this pain killer. Feels like it's either side effect of it or a 50% increase in dementia symptoms
He was tested for UTI and clear
Thanks all

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
make sure he has the pain medication after some food as on an empty stomach they can make him feel dizzy and nauseous etc....you can give him half a pill and judge how he is managing....

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks so much all and Sue for the thread
I've asked the doc to visit tomorrow and for now stopped the dreaded co-dydramol

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi worrier

You say tour Dad has been tested for a UTI and it was negative, but how are his bowels?.

This painkiller can cause constipation which can lead to an infection.

I hope the GP can prescribe something that helps.

Take care

Lyn T

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Hi Worrier, both my father andmyself have had occasion to be given CoDydramol at different times. We each had the same side effect of nausea, dizziness which was quite awful, so I would imagine that in someone with dementia it could easily be as you describe. I think you're right to take him off it, the GO should be able to give him something different.

BR x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Codydramol are my lifesaver for my migraines. Nothing else works but they do cause me to feel sleepy and can cause constipation.
My husbands used to hallucinate after taking the stronger Dihydracodeines in hospital even before he suffered from dementia . As both these tablets contain a morphine derivative, if someone reactors badly to morphine then it is possible that a similar reaction could happen with these.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks all
He's only been on it since Thursday and no more than 5 tablets a day at most
No more I've hidden them and may even just return to the pharmacy to dispose of

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
My mother takes co-dydramol for back pain when she needs it. Usually only 2 a day taken together and sometimes on an empty stomach! No side affects that I have noticed other than constipation.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Well after a tiring night, all my dads clothes soaked through (not urine) wrapping remote controls up and hiding flannels in his underwear the doctor visits and said he seems normal it must be the anti biotics.
Read up on doxycycline and confusion/delirium is not a side effect
Antibiotics finish Thursday and if no improvement I don't know what.
Hospital seems harsh for a dementia person if the doc is saying nothing's wrong
Worn out

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Well after a tiring night, all my dads clothes soaked through (not urine) wrapping remote controls up and hiding flannels in his underwear the doctor visits and said he seems normal it must be the anti biotics.
Read up on doxycycline and confusion/delirium is not a side effect
Antibiotics finish Thursday and if no improvement I don't know what.
Hospital seems harsh for a dementia person if the doc is saying nothing's wrong
Worn out

Hi Worrier

Sorry that the Dr hasn't been able to help. Is your Dad taking a good amount of fluids? dehydration can quickly become a problem if he I sweating a lot and wont help any confusion. Did the Dr advise any more on painkillers as it will be important to keep your Dad pain free if possible.

I get very hot during my bad phases and it helps if I remember to put my fan on at night to circulate cool air or have a cool pad wrapped in a tea towel to keep me more comfortable, also taking paracetamol to keep any temperature down.

I hope you have some support help? or is it just you?
Best to you
Sue

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Hi Sue
We have a carer 3 times a day but apart from that just me
I think from googling the Internet he is constipated which is causing this. I gave him a senakot max before bed same as last night so hope this eventually helps.
A daily dose of movicol too and as much liquid as I can get him to take
He has bad back pain which he has had for months trying anything to help him

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue
We have a carer 3 times a day but apart from that just me
I think from googling the Internet he is constipated which is causing this. I gave him a senakot max before bed same as last night so hope this eventually helps.
A daily dose of movicol too and as much liquid as I can get him to take
He has bad back pain which he has had for months trying anything to help him

My elderly friend has terrible back pain for the same reason as your Dad and her pain management was a nightmare before Christmas, we managed to get it under control with regular painkillers which she is now able to manage herself with the aid of a dosette box and the regular taking of them is what has helped all her other symptoms too. Thankfully was able to talk to GP who also recognised that pain management was vital to help her and it seems your Dad's GP doesn't see the same necessity for your poor Dad.

Will he tolerate a warm wheatbag on his tummy as that can help with the constipation too. Hope he and you get some relief soon.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Well after 3 days where dad did not get out of bed he is back to normal well that is eating again and sitting in the chair.
The infection has gone whatever it was but the back pain is still bad
Debating now whether to try the co-dydramol again to help the back pain but can't face the sudden rapid decline in confusion and hallucinations again if it was these co-dydramol causing it
Thanks Sue will try a wheatbag

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I wish there was a permanent anti biotic for infections even a mild one. It seems one after the other yet doctor never knows what just gets the prescription pad out

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My husbands used to hallucinate after taking the stronger Dihydracodeines in hospital even before he suffered from dementia . As both these tablets contain a morphine derivative, if someone reactors badly to morphine then it is possible that a similar reaction could happen with these.

My mum is also highly sensitive to opiates and has strong hallucinations with any morphine derivative. She is OK with paracetemol. You could try the codydramol again, but you might get the same reaction. At least then you will know whether or not to avoid opiates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124