Respite

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
hi Everyone.Me again. Tim getting weeks respite on Monday. I am sick as a 'trout" . Major dose of flu. My sister has taken tim to her house for evening. Thanks to everyone for your great support.
Aisling ( Ireland)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Aisling I was so hoping you would get your treat week. Wish I lived nearer I would bring you champagne and chocolates to medicate your flu. Thinking of youxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Guess you're really run down and this is the reaction to at last having a break Aisling. Hope you make a quick recovery so you are able to take advantage of a few days off.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I hope so too. The flu must have nipped in anticipating your respite! Hope it nips off in time for you to benefit from your freedom.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Thank you for all your replies and support. Am still floored with this dose!! A fews days rest will sort me out again.

Loads of hugs,
Aisling

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hope you feel better soon you are obviously exhausted enjoy your respite and try and treat yourself to a good rest x

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Hi Aisling

as you know my Oh went on his first respite just 2 weeks ago for a week , wow it really made a difference to me . Even with the house move in between. It was fab just to be able to go out when I wanted , for as long as I wanted to wherever I wanted . Even though most of it was running around getting things to sort the house. It was time for me, no going at a different pace looking at all and sundry in the shops, just getting on. The biggest luxury for me, having a bath in the evening knowing that all was well in the house, and nothing was going to get me out of the bath. I can no longer have luxury soaks with a book, just a quick shower and out.

You make the most of it and enjoy. You will miss him but honestly, after my few days in New York in April with my daughter when he is in respite for a week , I am planning a week in the sun with a girlfriend . Just enjoy yourself , safe in the knowledge he is safe. My other half loved it and is eagerly awaiting his next stay at the hotel.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
hi Everyone.Me again. Tim getting weeks respite on Monday. I am sick as a 'trout" . Major dose of flu. My sister has taken tim to her house for evening. Thanks to everyone for your great support.
Aisling ( Ireland)

You poor thing. I think he should go to respite so that you can rest and sleep and only have to worry about you. I know you were hoping to get a change of scenery and do something different but if you have flu you need to get better and it could take longer than a week. Can he not go from respite to a mental health hospital until (a) you are better and (b) the hospital think he is well enough for you to cope with. You need to stand your ground. I know its not easy but its the only way to get help. I wish you well soon and hope things get sorted out. Love and a big hug.xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
You poor thing. I think he should go to respite so that you can rest and sleep and only have to worry about you. I know you were hoping to get a change of scenery and do something different but if you have flu you need to get better and it could take longer than a week. Can he not go from respite to a mental health hospital until (a) you are better and (b) the hospital think he is well enough for you to cope with. You need to stand your ground. I know its not easy but its the only way to get help. I wish you well soon and hope things get sorted out. Love and a big hug.xx

Hi everyone,

Left Tim in Respite smiling at everyone!! Am back home now and have taken to my bed for a few hours!! Me time. Thanks a million for all your good wishes and support.

Aisling

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi everyone,

Left Tim in Respite smiling at everyone!! Am back home now and have taken to my bed for a few hours!! Me time. Thanks a million for all your good wishes and support.

Aisling

Hi there. Hope you are feeling a lot better. Maybe be able to go out if possible.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi there. Hope you are feeling a lot better. Maybe be able to go out if possible.

Still have the "dose" but feeling bit better. It is not raining today!!thanks to you and everyone for all the support. It keeps me going.

Aisling

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Glad you are recovering Aisling. Hope the next few days give you a chance to do something nice. I like Casbow's idea of you getting a few days longer as you've been ill. May not be possible but would be worth looking into, you don't want to be going down with some sort of post viral thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Glad you are recovering Aisling. Hope the next few days give you a chance to do something nice. I like Casbow's idea of you getting a few days longer as you've been ill. May not be possible but would be worth looking into, you don't want to be going down with some sort of post viral thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Great idea from Es, especially if your husband is settled. Would definitely be worth asking so you have time to really get over the flu and get in a bit of 'me' time. Hope you're feeling a bit better. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Re Respite

Hi everyone,

T has been in Respite since Monday. I still have flu and I don't know what is happening to me. Had great plans to clean, organise and catch up but I can do nothing. Am totally exhausted physically and mentally. Has anyone experienced this? I should be able to get things done. I think I am just lazy. My real fear is that I may be depressed and that terrifies me.

Sure in the grand scale of things, this is a small problem and I feel guilty posting it.

I put a wash on and back in bed, totally annoyed with myself. Don't even have energy to cook something.

Aisling (Ireland)

Bigreader

Jan 22, 2016
Aisling, flu takes a lot longer than a few days to recover from. Even when the aches and pains have subsided it takes at least a week if not longer for your body to recover. Add on to that the fact that your body is already worn out with caring and you have a recipe for a long recovery. Something inside you keeps the body going when it's absolutely necessary, as soon as that necessity stops, your body relaxes and on come all the illnesses/infections.

After caring for my husband and mother till their deaths last year, I have never had so many illnesses, small and large. Other former carers report the same thing. You most certainly are not lazy. What you really need is another weeks respite but that probably isn't on the cards. Please rest for the time you have left, try to eat well and don't feel guilty about doing nothing. Nobody on their deathbed wishes they'd done more cleaning/tidying!

Take care,
BR x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Aisling, if you've got the ongoing lurgy, it takes quite a while, maybe a month to recover. Longer if you do too much the moment you fell just a little better.
If you've got proper flu, two months before you feel completely fit. Keep that respite going if you can!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aisling, flu takes a lot longer than a few days to recover from. Even when the aches and pains have subsided it takes at least a week if not longer for your body to recover. Add on to that the fact that your body is already worn out with caring and you have a recipe for a long recovery. Something inside you keeps the body going when it's absolutely necessary, as soon as that necessity stops, your body relaxes and on come all the illnesses/infections.

After caring for my husband and mother till their deaths last year, I have never had so many illnesses, small and large. Other former carers report the same thing. You most certainly are not lazy. What you really need is another weeks respite but that probably isn't on the cards. Please rest for the time you have left, try to eat well and don't feel guilty about doing nothing. Nobody on their deathbed wishes they'd done more cleaning/tidying!

Take care,
BR x

Am so sorry BR, but thank you for replying to me.

Aisling

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi Aisling, if you've got the ongoing lurgy, it takes quite a while, maybe a month to recover. Longer if you do too much the moment you fell just a little better.
If you've got proper flu, two months before you feel completely fit. Keep that respite going if you can!

Thank you Spamar.

Respite was for a week. No extensions!! I was afraid I was getting depresses and that terrified me!

Aisling.