Tough day

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Took mum to see the consultant. Mum denied having a problem and then wouldn't speak to the consultant. Aricept prescribed for mum. Glass of red wine self prescribed for me!!! I do realise my worries are nothing compared to many of you guys but I am so glad to have somewhere to offload to lovely people who understand and don't judge x

Hello. You were worried about going, and now we understand better why this was worrisome. I imagine the consultants are used to good shows from people with dementia, so I am glad that Aricept was prescribed. For some patients - as I understand it (I am not a medical doctor) - Namenda works well with Aricept to reduce some of the symptoms.

I find that a glass of wine can calm me after a hard day, as today. I hope you are resting by now.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Oh that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo my mum, deny it then blame the messenger!!! I learned quickly to agree with her. So pleased she has Aricept lots of people say it makes a big difference in slowing progression. A good day's work for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Have another glass of wine xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Fizzie! xxxxxxx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
None of it is easy for anyone but I do also wish that they wouldn't tell older people they have dementia (what a horrible word) without at least checking with a relative if they are around. The only way around it is to write a note before you go in telling them it upsets her and you don't want her to be distressed so please do not mention dementia. Pass it to the consultant or ask the receptionist to give it to the consult first. They can easily talk about drugs etc.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hello. You were worried about going, and now we understand better why this was worrisome. I imagine the consultants are used to good shows from people with dementia, so I am glad that Aricept was prescribed. For some patients - as I understand it (I am not a medical doctor) - Namenda works well with Aricept to reduce some of the symptoms.

I find that a glass of wine can calm me after a hard day, as today. I hope you are resting by now.

Hi! Mum was very upset and announced, on the way home, that this was the first she had heard that she had a problem with her memory (it's not) Very tearful and refusing to eat. Today she has forgotten most of yesterday (she did tell my daughter that I took her out and we saw a man (it was a lovely lady doctor!!!!) she was happy with her jigsaw puzzle. This was one of the occasions I am glad for her memory problems x

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
None of it is easy for anyone but I do also wish that they wouldn't tell older people they have dementia (what a horrible word) without at least checking with a relative if they are around. The only way around it is to write a note before you go in telling them it upsets her and you don't want her to be distressed so please do not mention dementia. Pass it to the consultant or ask the receptionist to give it to the consult first. They can easily talk about drugs etc.

Fizzie, I told the receptionist, when she rang to arrange the appointment, to put on mum's notes that the words 'dementia' & 'Alzheimer's' shouldn't be used (I knew how it would upset mum) Being charitable, I am assuming she was too busy and forgot......

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Fizzie, I told the receptionist, when she rang to arrange the appointment, to put on mum's notes that the words 'dementia' & 'Alzheimer's' shouldn't be used (I knew how it would upset mum) Being charitable, I am assuming she was too busy and forgot......

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Maisy76

Mar 24, 2016
Drove to the memory clinic where we will take mum on Friday. I am so so scared that mum will freak out. Also, daughter about to start IVF. So tired of worrying (saw dad through cancer and husband through bullying/depression) Have had something serious to worry about for the last five years. Gosh, I sound sorry for myself. Just needed to offload.

Hey - you do not sound sorry for yourself. It is good to be able to offload on here and healthy to do so rather than to bottle it all up. You have a hell of a lot on your plate and it is good to be able to "get it all out". I don't worry if my mum freaks out at the memory clinic as everyone there knows it is a place for people with Alzheimer's disease. I was more embarrassed when she started singing VERY loudly during a pub lunch yesterday, "Give us a bash of the bangers n mash me muvver used to make...Oi!" I could have died! Her friend and myself did find it hilarious though bless her, as did the kind folk on the table next to her. And most importantly dear mum was laughing. I don't care to be honest just so long as she's happy.

I think it's time to start printing off some little cards to give to people when out in public saying, "My beautiful mum has Alzheimer's disease. Some things she says and does may be unusual. Thank you for your understanding" It is really sad her behaviour has become so erratic. She will try to eat coffee with a teaspoon and pick up an entire jacket potato (I cut things up now), but, as I say, so long as she's happy it is okay. Oh the other day she said, "shut up or I'll pull your teeth out" to the man next to us in the queue in ASDA! OMG I could have died! Yes definitely time for the cards.

I'm sorry if I sound heartless. Having a joke is my way of dealing with things. I love dear mum very much and will never stop taking her out so long as she still enjoys going regardless of how she behaves. x

Maisy76

Mar 24, 2016
Took mum to see the consultant. Mum denied having a problem and then wouldn't speak to the consultant. Aricept prescribed for mum. Glass of red wine self prescribed for me!!! I do realise my worries are nothing compared to many of you guys but I am so glad to have somewhere to offload to lovely people who understand and don't judge x

Lol - enjoy the wine! You deserve it! Yes it is definitely great to offload isn't it? x

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Lol - enjoy the wine! You deserve it! Yes it is definitely great to offload isn't it? x

Hello Maisie! I am not offended in the least by humour! An essential in my book! Mum not too bad but I have a lot of other worries to deal with at the same time as mum's dementia and I am an only child. Having read a lot of threads I am glad I have no Invisibles!!!
Love the idea of the cards!!