Eating Food Problem

Dolly Daydream

Oct 13, 2014
Has anyone else had this problem. My oh is in care home with vasular demensia and alzheimers. Just recently when eating meals keeps putting food in mouth and not swolering it. He looks like a hamster as his cheeks are so full of food. When I am there have to keep telling him to empty mouth before putting more in. Carer informed me while having dinner yesterday had mouth so full of food then spat it out. She fed him the pudding. It's as if he is forgetting to swallow his food. I am getting worried as he could choke.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
No experience if this but I know it's a common problem. Sure there's a fact sheet probably on the site for you to read. Carers are used to this with dementia so should be keeping an eye on him anyway.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This is a common problem, it seems. It's called 'pouching' and if you put this into the search box (top right) you should get some useful-looking posts to read.

As this qualifies as an eating problem and, as you suggest, can be dangerous it would be good to get him seen by a SALT (speech and language therapist but also know all about swallowing) if you haven't done so already.

Dolly Daydream

Oct 13, 2014
No experience if this but I know it's a common problem. Sure there's a fact sheet probably on the site for you to read. Carers are used to this with dementia so should be keeping an eye on him anyway.

Thank you for information on fact sheet, have found it and read it. Did not know there was fact sheets on the site

Dolly Daydream

Oct 13, 2014
This is a common problem, it seems. It's called 'pouching' and if you put this into the search box (top right) you should get some useful-looking posts to read.

As this qualifies as an eating problem and, as you suggest, can be dangerous it would be good to get him seen by a SALT (speech and language therapist but also know all about swallowing) if you haven't done so already.

Thank you for your reply have had words with staff who are monitoring him and keeping eye on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls